when did you give up your old job to start childminding?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default when did you give up your old job to start childminding?

im in the process of registering at the mo, and am planning to work part time until i am registered and have someone to definately childmind for. I can't afford to give up work straight away and just wait until someone comes along- just wondering when everyone else gave up work to do this? Did you wait for a definate customer? did you wait for a full timer? I also worry that if I got a part timer to start with, I couldn't afford to pay the bills, but then I'd need 2 part timers to come along at the same time for this to work, if that makes sense- not very likely!
    Does anyone know where I'm coming from??

help!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahc88 View Post
    im in the process of registering at the mo, and am planning to work part time until i am registered and have someone to definately childmind for. I can't afford to give up work straight away and just wait until someone comes along- just wondering when everyone else gave up work to do this? Did you wait for a definate customer? did you wait for a full timer? I also worry that if I got a part timer to start with, I couldn't afford to pay the bills, but then I'd need 2 part timers to come along at the same time for this to work, if that makes sense- not very likely!
    Does anyone know where I'm coming from??

help!
    Yes I know exactly. I re started childminding a few weeks ago after working in a Nursery. I was planning to start after christmas however I did not have anyone lined up, so I changed the goal posts and waited until I had at least one definite parent. I met with parents even when I was not childminding and explained to them 'how I would be working' , showed them house/garden and paperwork. certificates etc..I ad no resources at this point but had a list and plan of what I would be buying.( Parents were not too bothered) I guess the advantage I had was that Id done it before and felt confident in talking about my practice.

I advertised on Childcare and local authority list and explained in my blurb that I will be setting up soon "EYFS spaces available soon' You can use this to your advantage by using phrases like 'limited spaces available please contact me'

I explained to all parents that I would not be fully set up properly with regards to resources as this takes time. No one had a problem with this. They were more concerned about the type of person I was and the environment.

So ,I would say advertise, interview, put your business out there, big yourself up, but it would be best to only see parents that want childcare in a few weeks or months time, or those that would wait until you serve your notice. I signed first parent up whilst I was still working. I finished end of February and they started beginning of March.

In reality, your dream type of child does not always come along. I would say take on a part timer to start with because thats where your business grows from-word of mouth. My third child started with me this week from word of mouth from the first set of siblings at their pre-school ( which I do not visit~) I was very lucky this time round in that All children wanted the same 2 days I am working. From previous experience, when I started in 2006 I started with a 4 year old in reception class, 2 hours a day. I wanted full timer too a t the time. I decided to take him on and before you know it, I was turning people away. You may be lucky and the right one comes along. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck..always difficult.
    Last edited by MAWI; 26-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't legally advertise til you're registered with Ofsted though can you? Thought it was a criminal offence to advertise childminding services if you're unregistered. Only adding this as I wouldn't want it to hinder anyone's registration. I was an idiot and handed my notice in at work as I hated my job. Was due to finish Christmas and began the childminding course in October thinking it would take about 3 months to be up and running. I was also getting married at Christmas. I then ended up going off sick with work related stress (should have done this BEFORE handing notice in) as now I am in the position of waiting on a DBS that isn't moving anywhere, haven't had any income since new year and having to claim contributions based jobseekers (so sent on daft courses and have to "apply" for plenty of jobs I'm not interested in, wouldn't cover childcare costs or am not qualified/experienced for). My home is all set up, all courses and qualifications done, resources bought/made, paperwork and policies all set up, learning journey for son being completed. Can't advertise as on childcare.co.uk it asks you to confirm you are fully registered as it states its against the law to advertise unregistered childminding services so had to leave that. Had two enquiries from people who knew I was retraining, but lost one of those now as its taken so long. Deeply frustrating. I would say try and work as long as possible. There's no way I could have done full time as a teacher whilst preparing for this (wouldn't have been able to attend courses for starters) but I hadn't envisaged being off sick anyways. Good luck.

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=joannes;1352406]You can't legally advertise til you're registered with Ofsted though can you? Thought it was a criminal offence to advertise childminding services if you're unregistered. Only adding this as I wouldn't want it to hinder anyone's registration.
    Yes your completley correct. The difference was I was registered.

I was Thinking ahead of when OP IS registered and still working. I agree joannes it is time consuming and frustrating to begin with but will hopefully all Be worth it in the end.
    It Might be worth working until your registration is through, then advertise intensively from there and only give up when you have first prospective parent.
    Last edited by MAWI; 26-03-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first time I started I had been made redundant so didn't matter.

The second time, after moving, I had to get a job and I ended up doing both for 5 years!!! It became a catch 22 - the enquiries that I got did not pay enough to stop work and most were on days I was working so couldn't do. Eventually another childminder stopped minding and I took 2 of her LOs and one of mine increased days which allowed me to stop working.

It is difficult to balance when you are reliant on a certain income level to be able to stop

If you are able to work part-time in the eves/weekends it would allow you to take on enquiries during normal hours. If you work normal hours it can restrict who you are able to accept due to level of income - I couldn't take one child on for 2 days for £3.50ph when I was working 3 days for £7.30ph and would have to stop all 3 days IYSWIM
    Last edited by tulip0803; 26-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.

6. Likes MAWI liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if i took on a part timer to begin with and my income was therefore below a certain level initially, if i would be eligible for any kind of tax credits/benefits? anyone know?

also, about advertising your services- i was told this week by a course tutor that you can legally advertise your services AS LONG as you phrase it as 'going through the registration process' or 'soon to be registered' and don't give the impression that you're already up and running.

8. Likes MAWI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in this position now, I have got children due to start, but decided to take the plunge for less than my part time income as they needed one of my work days. I also wanted to be as available as possible for any new children. I'm hoping it pays off :-)

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i handed in my notice once I had my first family sign up
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarahc88 View Post
    I'm wondering if i took on a part timer to begin with and my income was therefore below a certain level initially, if i would be eligible for any kind of tax credits/benefits? anyone know?

also, about advertising your services- i was told this week by a course tutor that you can legally advertise your services AS LONG as you phrase it as 'going through the registration process' or 'soon to be registered' and don't give the impression that you're already up and running.
    Yes you will be entitled to tax credits - they may be slightly off to start with as they often overestimate self employed earnings and then pay any underpayment back when you do the renewal between May and July to ensure that they are not over paying IYSWIM.

Yes you can advertise that you are in the registration process but you cannot start childminding until you are registered so you cannot promise a start date

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarifying, I am going to start advertising then! I could understand it being illegal to actually childmind and accept payment for childminding services but think it's a bit wrong to not be allowed to advertise at all in advance. You could very well get enquiries for next academic year (in fact I had a friend of a friend enquire about post maternity for feb 2015) but as long as you were registered and had everything in place for the first day I don't see how it should cause any harm enough to be considered illegal. Daft one if you ask me. I shall get on it! lol. Good luck.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    You can't legally advertise til you're registered with Ofsted though can you? Thought it was a criminal offence to advertise childminding services if you're unregistered. Only adding this as I wouldn't want it to hinder anyone's registration. I was an idiot and handed my notice in at work as I hated my job. Was due to finish Christmas and began the childminding course in October thinking it would take about 3 months to be up and running. I was also getting married at Christmas. I then ended up going off sick with work related stress (should have done this BEFORE handing notice in) as now I am in the position of waiting on a DBS that isn't moving anywhere, haven't had any income since new year and having to claim contributions based jobseekers (so sent on daft courses and have to "apply" for plenty of jobs I'm not interested in, wouldn't cover childcare costs or am not qualified/experienced for). My home is all set up, all courses and qualifications done, resources bought/made, paperwork and policies all set up, learning journey for son being completed. Can't advertise as on childcare.co.uk it asks you to confirm you are fully registered as it states its against the law to advertise unregistered childminding services so had to leave that. Had two enquiries from people who knew I was retraining, but lost one of those now as its taken so long. Deeply frustrating. I would say try and work as long as possible. There's no way I could have done full time as a teacher whilst preparing for this (wouldn't have been able to attend courses for starters) but I hadn't envisaged being off sick anyways. Good luck.
    Hi 'Joannes' - have the job centre told you about the NEA scheme? If you are on JSA, they will give you support for setting up as unemployed - and you get a further 26 weeks of benefit too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Cybes I will look into this. Just seem to be having a massive run of bad luck at the moment.