Giving up teaching for Childminding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely, towards the end I was spending 3 hours a week just colour coding and highlighting planning. Just in case someone from SLT wanted to see it and because Ofsted had ONCE commented that they liked it. The fact it wasn't manageable made no difference. After researching what different child minders do re: planning I can see that it really can be very minimal providing you can talk about why you're doing something and relate it to children's next steps so I will be using my diary which is much more manageable. And not "having" to do long observations with a clipboard will be bliss.

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi, I've been doing lots of research, there are no other childminders in my village but some nearby, I've also set up on Facebook and child care.co.uk I am going to do the training and start up part time if I can so that I can build up a reputation and check there is a need for childminders in my area. I'm not handing my notice in yet but knowing I am starting childminding will hopefully help my state of mind while I'm at work! I am really grateful for all your advice and support as I started doubting myself. I love the idea of being my own boss and being able to be creative with children without worrying about being a coordinator and and pupil progress and ...all the all other things that ruin teaching. It sounds like those of you that gave up don't regret it! Hopefully I'll be chatting to you over the next few years as I start childminding! Thanks again you lovely lot

4. Likes Maza, funemnx liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    Hi, I've been doing lots of research, there are no other childminders in my village but some nearby, I've also set up on Facebook and child care.co.uk I am going to do the training and start up part time if I can so that I can build up a reputation and check there is a need for childminders in my area. I'm not handing my notice in yet but knowing I am starting childminding will hopefully help my state of mind while I'm at work! I am really grateful for all your advice and support as I started doubting myself. I love the idea of being my own boss and being able to be creative with children without worrying about being a coordinator and and pupil progress and ...all the all other things that ruin teaching. It sounds like those of you that gave up don't regret it! Hopefully I'll be chatting to you over the next few years as I start childminding! Thanks again you lovely lot
    That sounds very sensible - hope it all goes well for you :-)

6. Likes pixies liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously to earn £1300 net you need to earn more than that to allow for your expenses - but there is often a shortage of childminders in villages and with your teaching background you can probably charge a higher rate - also close to Bristol you may get some people who live outside of Bristol but work there so may need a childminder en-route to work. You can probably register for funding as soon as you have your first Ofsted inspection - contact your LA to find out whether there is a shortage of settings to offer 2 year old funding as this is at a higher rate.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just signed a contract and it's with siblings - i will earn £1620 per month before and expenses etc and I am in Bristol.

9. Likes pixies liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Teaching to childminding...

Hi - I am new to the forum! I originally read the post about giving up teaching for childminding - and just had to comment!
    I am a teacher and have decided to change to childminding because of all the things that you mentioned - paper-work, long hours, travelling, not seeing your family, working at home etc etc!
    I work 4 days a week at present and have an 8 year old daughter - who I feel never really spend quality time with - as even when I am at home at weekends I still have work from school to do!
    I completed my Pre-registration course in January (I took 3 days off unpaid from my job and made up some far-fetched excuse!!). I applied fairly promptly to Ofsted....but it's been a LONG process! I had my Ofsted pre-reg visit on Weds (30th April) - and all went well (apart from being questioned about stress/depression that I suffered 10 years ago that my doctor obviously felt they needed to know about!)...and am now waiting to get my certificate (even though I am a little worried re the questions regarding my stress/depression - which, incidentally was work-related!!!)
    I am VERY nervous about giving my notice in at school - even though I know that it is best for me and I really want to become a childminder. I know I need to give notice by 31st May.

I am very worried about my income and like you - need to earn around £1300 per month!! I have 3 'before and after school' kids lined up (I already look after them free of charge on my days off to keep them interested!) - this will give me an income of about £440 per month plus I will be saving about £260 in child-care and petrol costs. I am also planning on doing a day's supply-teaching (Mondays) to supplement my income until my business is up and running. I am also planning on looking after my baby grandson for 3 days (& charging for 2 days!) which will give me an income of £320 per month. I have spoken to my daughter's school - who assure me that there really is a shortage of childminders in the area - but I am still nervous - whose going to pay me in the holidays??!!
    Despite all this - I know it's what I want to do and am sure that me and my family will be ok. Teaching is one of the most stressful jobs in the world.....I am certain that childminding will be easier and probably more rewarding. Good luck to you teachers - turned- childminders! (We are doing the right thing!!)

Post Thanks / Like

well it seems we're all leaving in droves- I wonder why? well I am still not registered. I applied to go on the course in September, went on it October half term, then spent half a term on sick with WRS before leaving at Christmas. Did my first aid and safeguarding in January and applied for DBS end of Jan and my husband's middle of Feb. They came back two weeks ago and I'm still waiting on my visit. Ofsted told me they'd passed my case onto Tribal when they hadn't and didn't do so for a further 4 days. Been over a week with them now and nothing. Haven't had any income since 31st December apart from jobseekers which runs out next month anyways. Man it is tough! I have £20 ish in my bank account and enough for the essentials in our joint account. Was my birthday this weekend and all my birthday money will be spent on my liability insurance when I finally get my certificate. I've had to turn two parents down and let down another this week who wanted a start on the 14th as they are desperate but I feel I'm sooooooo close now! Going without an income definitely isn't for the fainthearted and perhaps if I'd known that I'd be 5 months out of work I would have stayed on sick and not handed notice in but hindsights a great thing and I'd really fought to not go on sick. I haven't been asked about my WRS yet so that may come up on the pre-reg visit but I'm not worried about that- think it's hard to find anyone these days who hasn't been to doctors with stress or depression at some point lol. I have registered with two supply agencies and none of my enquiries have been for Tuesdays as of yet so hoping I can do 1 day a week at around £115 a day which will be way more than jobseekers anyways and tide my wages over (my first childminder pay will be paying for a double buggy and age specific things like booster seats). We've had an awful run of rubbish luck with car breaking twice, kitchen flooding from the washing machine, decking having underlying rot and husband being in hospital and so off work sick. BUT if we hadn't had that I think we would have been ok financially- a few cut backs but not for a second do I regret leaving teaching. Good luck to all those leaving!

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    well it seems we're all leaving in droves- I wonder why? well I am still not registered. I applied to go on the course in September, went on it October half term, then spent half a term on sick with WRS before leaving at Christmas. Did my first aid and safeguarding in January and applied for DBS end of Jan and my husband's middle of Feb. They came back two weeks ago and I'm still waiting on my visit. Ofsted told me they'd passed my case onto Tribal when they hadn't and didn't do so for a further 4 days. Been over a week with them now and nothing. Haven't had any income since 31st December apart from jobseekers which runs out next month anyways. Man it is tough! I have £20 ish in my bank account and enough for the essentials in our joint account. Was my birthday this weekend and all my birthday money will be spent on my liability insurance when I finally get my certificate. I've had to turn two parents down and let down another this week who wanted a start on the 14th as they are desperate but I feel I'm sooooooo close now! Going without an income definitely isn't for the fainthearted and perhaps if I'd known that I'd be 5 months out of work I would have stayed on sick and not handed notice in but hindsights a great thing and I'd really fought to not go on sick. I haven't been asked about my WRS yet so that may come up on the pre-reg visit but I'm not worried about that- think it's hard to find anyone these days who hasn't been to doctors with stress or depression at some point lol. I have registered with two supply agencies and none of my enquiries have been for Tuesdays as of yet so hoping I can do 1 day a week at around £115 a day which will be way more than jobseekers anyways and tide my wages over (my first childminder pay will be paying for a double buggy and age specific things like booster seats). We've had an awful run of rubbish luck with car breaking twice, kitchen flooding from the washing machine, decking having underlying rot and husband being in hospital and so off work sick. BUT if we hadn't had that I think we would have been ok financially- a few cut backs but not for a second do I regret leaving teaching. Good luck to all those leaving!
    My job seekers was running out whilst I was in the process of registering as I was made redundant in June last year and the job centre advised me of the New Enterprise Allowance. You have to meet a business advisor and produce a business plan but once approved you get paid weekly on the scheme for 6 months. £65 per week for first 13 weeks then £33 per week for the remaining 13 weeks, it's not as much as job seekers but bridges the gap whilst setting yourself up and finding first clients!

Luckily I filled my spaces straight away and regardless of what you earn you will get the money.

Holly

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolly1985 View Post

My job seekers was running out whilst I was in the process of registering as I was made redundant in June last year and the job centre advised me of the New Enterprise Allowance. You have to meet a business advisor and produce a business plan but once approved you get paid weekly on the scheme for 6 months. £65 per week for first 13 weeks then £33 per week for the remaining 13 weeks, it's not as much as job seekers but bridges the gap whilst setting yourself up and finding first clients!

Luckily I filled my spaces straight away and regardless of what you earn you will get the money.

Holly
    Wow, that's good

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Dolly, I have applied for it and was referred last week and have meeting Tuesday morning. I'm also wanting to make educational resources too as a little sideline (this is what happens when you have waaaayyyy too much time to think ), when they rang up to arrange meeting they focused much more on that though than the childminding so we shall see how it goes. I know by the end of the year I'll be fine but I'm really hating being reliant on hubby at the moment (I've always paid my own way and aside from student overdraft have NEVER been in debt or so poor) and just the little things like having a cheap hair cut or meeting someone for a cheap meal deal lunch. And it seems to be EVERYONE's big birthday's and weddings this year think I may need to fall out with a fair few people lol

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    thanks Dolly, I have applied for it and was referred last week and have meeting Tuesday morning. I'm also wanting to make educational resources too as a little sideline (this is what happens when you have waaaayyyy too much time to think ), when they rang up to arrange meeting they focused much more on that though than the childminding so we shall see how it goes. I know by the end of the year I'll be fine but I'm really hating being reliant on hubby at the moment (I've always paid my own way and aside from student overdraft have NEVER been in debt or so poor) and just the little things like having a cheap hair cut or meeting someone for a cheap meal deal lunch. And it seems to be EVERYONE's big birthday's and weddings this year think I may need to fall out with a fair few people lol
    I know What you mean-I hated being so reliant on my partner and watch everything I spent! But it will get better :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in your gang too!! Left teaching and began child minding September last year. I loVe it!! I get to be with my children, save huge amount in my own child care costs and my work load and stress levels are halved!! It's fantastic. ( apart from this weekend as I am expecting my forts ofsted inspection next week! Eek)
    As for the money bit, well, you do earn less and work longer days and no one pays me in the holidays because I work term time only... BUT... I believe you always live with the amount you get and my children are no.1 on my list. I now have all of the time in the world for them!
    Good luck everyone xxx

17. Likes joannes liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I qualified as a teacher then became a childminder. Never regretted it for a minute especially now I have my daughter and I can watch her grow up and earn at the same time

Non childminder member
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i am new to this forum i currently own an after school and holiday club and i am trying to work out if I would be better of running the business as a childminder rather that paying rent for a premises. can somebody tell me the benefits of becoming a childminder and the cons thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12