HELP! Conflicting advice about how to register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP! Conflicting advice about how to register

HELP!

I want to start working as a child minder in September, but am finding it really hard and confusing to find training.

The course run by my LEA doesn't start till September, so too late. Other local LEAs are full up on their courses so can't help me.

I thought about doing a PACEY online course, but my LEA says it doesn't recognise it. When I called OFSTED, they say that it's no business of my LEA. and as long as I have a CYPOP5 course, OFSTED will be happy, and it isn't for the LEA to approve. But reading things on other forums, that doesn't seem to be the case, but I can't find out explicitly.

Help! How can I qualify to be a child minder before September?! (I live in Gateshead)

Thank you in advance.

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know for sure, but as Ofsted will register you, perhaps you don't need an LA approved course. I would phone Ofsted back to double check and get the name of the person who tells you this (if you haven't already) and date you phoned.

Having said that, I think you might find it difficult working as a childminder without your LA's support, which you probably won't have if you don't do their course. For example, Ofsted say safeguarding must be LA approved but you might not be allowed on a course by the LA if they don't officially recognise your childminding qualification.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding is that your course has to be LA approved. It's tough that the next one is so long away but sadly that is what is happening at the moment because of Govt cut backs

xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Try speaking to your LA again. Mine fund a cypop5 course but I couldn't do it in the classroom and wanted to do it online through Pacey. I had to pay up front then claim back part of the cost of the online course. They paid what the classroom course cost so I had to pay the extra but as long as I was happy to pay the extra they were happy to approve the course. Well to be honest not exactly happy because it meant doing a bit of paperwork but it all worked ok in the end. They were the same with some of the other courses I've done with Pacey. Basically happy enough to accept as ling as I paid for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a similar situation I was hoping to start a course in March, which would mean travelling about 15/20miles usually not a problem as would only take 30mins drive however due to the flooding it will take an hr or so each way.

I spoke to the LA who said they were in the process of setting more dates but nothing to confirm as yet. I also want to be registered by September so I want to get going straight away. The LA recognise the cypop5 course but don't provide any funding so I am now debating whether I pay the extra to do it online or wait and see. Luckily they did say the accept the course. I would speak to the LA and ofsted again to confirm their positions.