twiddling thumbs...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

DBS site down AGAIN due to "technical issues" aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!! What has perhaps annoyed me the most is I have had 4 friends this week from all over the country tell me they've probably lost it when they've changed the comp systems over coz theirs have come back in a week. I can't even view the progress of mine now. And after going back to jobcentre yesterday to tell them I have supply and childminding ready as soon as my DBS comes through, they have booked me on a 6 hour course "learning how to apply for jobs". So unbelievably fed up and demotivated right now :-( Could literally have a cry. Although next Friday I can ring Capita up and yell at them which might make me feel a bit better. I've emailed them to see if it's not been transferred onto the new computer system but they've ignored the email.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    DBS site down AGAIN due to "technical issues" aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!! What has perhaps annoyed me the most is I have had 4 friends this week from all over the country tell me they've probably lost it when they've changed the comp systems over coz theirs have come back in a week. I can't even view the progress of mine now. And after going back to jobcentre yesterday to tell them I have supply and childminding ready as soon as my DBS comes through, they have booked me on a 6 hour course "learning how to apply for jobs". So unbelievably fed up and demotivated right now :-( Could literally have a cry. Although next Friday I can ring Capita up and yell at them which might make me feel a bit better. I've emailed them to see if it's not been transferred onto the new computer system but they've ignored the email.

Hi,

My Partners is the same. I can track mine with no problem, but when we try his, it says they are having some technical issues.

He has just rang the DBS helpline, and they have advised him that since they have moved systems, some people are unable to log on.

However, she did confirm that his application is exactly where it should be and it has been with the Police for 12 days and he should expect it complete by next week.

I hope you get it back soon xx

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds a bit more helpful than me. Out of sheer frustration and paranoia I rang up to see what on Earth's happening to it. They said it isn't lost, it's with the police and has been for 4 weeks so should be done soon "hopefully". They said a small percentage take much longer but they can't get involved until they've had it over 70 days which is another month away. So frustrating! I have now also lost my business lead who has had to go elsewhere with her waiting 3 months for me. She was very apologetic but I totally understand. I also can't do my supply teaching without it so it's costing me up to £115 a day when I could be working. To top it off my washing machine has been leaking, unbeknownst to us and so I've had to take all my kitchen tiles up and bin them. I'm so sick of hearing myself winge at the moment lol. CRB's used to be miles easier! I've had tonnes of them for every job, placement or training lol. None of them ever took this long or cost as much. There will be some serious celebration when it finally comes through lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Bless you babe, feeling so sorry for you xxx I hope everything moves fast for you soon xxx

Post Thanks / Like

6 weeks now..... having a mini meltdown. Husband is not helping one bit and is guilt tripping me for still not working. The fact we've had a flooded kitchen and now car trouble has not helped one bit, nor has him been in hospital for an evening and having to have a week unpaid off work. Feeling so fed up and totally demotivated with it all. My husband's DBS, despite being sent off 5 weeks later is stuck at the same stage as mine. Keep thinking I should be doing more to prepare for when it does come through but think I've done everything I can for now :-/ still twiddling thumbs....

Post Thanks / Like

My goodness, I can't believe how long the process is taking for you xx you are definately due some good luck now, hugs xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I am ringing tomorrow as it will be over 6 weeks and then I will just keep ringing until it's done. Hopefully they'll think its less hassle to chase it than to put up with me. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely gone past the point of ridiculous!!

Post Thanks / Like

Have rung them today, still on last stage. I asked if there was a significant hold up on the last stage atm as so many people seem to be stuck on this last stage and she said that it is taking a long time because of staff shortages at the police but it is usually taking nearer to the 6 week mark. I did say that tomorrow I will be OVER the 6 week mark. She said to ring back next week if I still hadn't heard anything but they can't chase them until the police have had it 60 days (they've had mine 36 days) and then they have to give them 10 working days to respond (so another two weeks) so it could be another 7 weeks yet. And that's before we even get to Ofsted. I did tell the lady that by the time it shows up I will have probably had my house repossessed and starved to death and sold my son by then but it didn't speed it up any (was of course joking but if I don't laugh I cry atm) I am not normally an impatient person but I just don't get how one persons can take a week and another three months with similar circumstances :-/ the mind boggles at the bureaucracy in this country.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I can honestly sympathise - people on my course were registered within 3 months of doing the course - but no not me! Sorry I didn't see this to respond sooner, but my 11 months has now turned into exactly a year since I sent my application to ofsted and I got the go ahead 2 days ago - yay!! I wish I'd have set the ball rolling sooner - being out of work for a few months has really hit hard! I'll have my certificate next week - I can't tell you how happy I am - the same will happen for you, I know it's awful trying to make ends meet when you're relying on someone else but it will happen.

My application was actually held up because of a false allegation in my husbands past so I do understand why mine has taken so long now, but ofsted kept us in the dark for a long time while they were making their own investigation into it - my husband knew nothing about any of this as he was never questioned, it was dropped at the time for being false (a long time before I met him) but obviously the record still exists. I would expect them to investigate where children are involved but when they get a report from both the police and social services stating that the allegation is false I think maybe ofsted should take note of this. Your application won't obviously have the same sort of hold up as me, I just hope it all goes through really quickly for you to take the pressure off!
    Good luck. X

Post Thanks / Like

Subbed,

GL with it.

I am a College Lecturer who is looking to go down this route, I guess you would advise to do this whilst still at work, I have an option to go sessional though so that maybe a good compromise.

Regards

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah as you said you don't mind so much if they inform you to let you know what the hold up is because it might be something really simple to sort out. Can't believe yours took so long. Makes me so cross that they know people's livelihoods depend on these checks. So much for the government wanting to get more people into work, I'd have been there months ago if it wasn't for this palaver. I saved to cushion us through January and most of Feb but it is getting tight now. We got married at Christmas and delayed honeymoon til August (which is pretty much paid for) but I will have no spending money. I know its a luxury but its a once in a lifetime trip, we deferred so we could save up to do everything we wanted as I didn't want to come back thinking "I wish I'd done x but I didn't have a spare £50/£100" now despite deferring it for 8 months it looks like that is what it will come to as all money will be spent on the essentials. Also wasn't expecting husband to be on sick or my kitchen to flood or the car to break. I have a special bottle of wine in for when that bl00dy online tracker moves itself from "in progress" to "completed on....". lol.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. Mine and my partners took 13 weeks to come back. After the police had it 60 days I rang the force who held it every day and ofsted until itvwas completed. Drove myself crazy but got there. Hang in there hun xx

14. Likes joannes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it your local police force misskft? It doesn't give you any info whatsoever on the tracker site, it might as well not be there, in fact I'm sure they've just put it there as a form of frustration-inducing rage maker. They might as well just put a sign up on the site that says "nope!" everytime you log on. Or just has a link to the local jobcentre lol.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joannes it was not my local station but the county wide place that held it. I rang and rang and rang same with ofsted. They wouldnt tell me anything until police had held it 90 days then ofsted told me which force to call. I also lodged a complaint to see if that would help shift things. Like you all this time I wasnt earning.

Post Thanks / Like

Rang again today, don't know why they told me to ring back as I just got the same message; still with police, can't chase them for another 14 days then they have 2 weeks to respond. They also "don't know" who it's with so I can't chase it myself and they won't know who it's with until the 60 day window (funny that), and even if I did manage to get the details and ring they'd "probably just refer you back to the DBS". Arrrghhh! Any question or comment I made the phony lady just had said in an overly cheery way "okay then! Is there anything else I can help you with?!" no, because you haven't helped me one bit with the one thing I rang about :-/ I have emailed Ofsted basically enquiring as to why I can't even have the pre-reg inspection on my current DBS and forward my updated one before I start minding. Seems such a backwards way of doing it as even when I get it I could be put back weeks before I start work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after 5 phonecalls, 9 weeks and lots of tears and frustration (and a very conservative 3 checks yesterday) my certificate is FINALLY in the process of being printed!!!! Hurrah!! I honestly thought it would go another 11 days and then have to chase the police force. Sooooo.... I will be able to at least to do supply work after Easter. My husband's DBS is 4 weeks behind with them not accepting his current one so I'm really hoping it doesn't take another 4 weeks to get his back, although I assume it will. Then I will actually be looking forward to getting Ofsted round (one and only time I'll ever say that lol). I find it really bizarre that it came on the day that I went a bit mental at DBS (the things it drives you to lol), the day before I had to attend a "learning to apply for jobs" course courtesy of jobcentre (despite me explaining I am just waiting on two start dates and have no childcare- I turned up with my son today and was understandably turned away with pertemps visibly frustrated at the pig-arsing around of jobcentre) and also when I got my first proper customer enquiry! I have put a sign up in my window saying that my childminding business will be opening soon and a lady a few doors away has enquired about a day and a half a week!!! So excited I could cry. Would love full timers but beggers can't be choosers and it is handy being so close. She's a teacher and as I'm also offering term time only places it could lead to more business. My other unofficial lead is my husbands friend who is "seriously considering" using my services but not sure what days/how many yet. Might actually get a couple of months wages in before my belated honeymoon yet! lol. It's silly because I'm not quite there yet but I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders after being grounded for so long (friends telling me theirs came in 5 days wasn't really helping me much either lol). It was really starting to get me quite down and I was beginning to think I'd made a huge mistake giving up a reliable teaching income. Now I'm excited again! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news, I'm so happy for you xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    Well after 5 phonecalls, 9 weeks and lots of tears and frustration (and a very conservative 3 checks yesterday) my certificate is FINALLY in the process of being printed!!!! Hurrah!! I honestly thought it would go another 11 days and then have to chase the police force. Sooooo.... I will be able to at least to do supply work after Easter. My husband's DBS is 4 weeks behind with them not accepting his current one so I'm really hoping it doesn't take another 4 weeks to get his back, although I assume it will. Then I will actually be looking forward to getting Ofsted round (one and only time I'll ever say that lol). I find it really bizarre that it came on the day that I went a bit mental at DBS (the things it drives you to lol), the day before I had to attend a "learning to apply for jobs" course courtesy of jobcentre (despite me explaining I am just waiting on two start dates and have no childcare- I turned up with my son today and was understandably turned away with pertemps visibly frustrated at the pig-arsing around of jobcentre) and also when I got my first proper customer enquiry! I have put a sign up in my window saying that my childminding business will be opening soon and a lady a few doors away has enquired about a day and a half a week!!! So excited I could cry. Would love full timers but beggers can't be choosers and it is handy being so close. She's a teacher and as I'm also offering term time only places it could lead to more business. My other unofficial lead is my husbands friend who is "seriously considering" using my services but not sure what days/how many yet. Might actually get a couple of months wages in before my belated honeymoon yet! lol. It's silly because I'm not quite there yet but I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders after being grounded for so long (friends telling me theirs came in 5 days wasn't really helping me much either lol). It was really starting to get me quite down and I was beginning to think I'd made a huge mistake giving up a reliable teaching income. Now I'm excited again! :-)
    Woohoo! I'm really pleased for you! You deserve a large glass of wine tonight xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki5531 View Post
    Woohoo! I'm really pleased for you! You deserve a large glass of wine tonight xx
    lol had one last night at 11pm haha. I went to my "learning to apply for jobs" course today as well... with my son in his buggy. Was promptly turned away but the centre said it was a common occurrence with the job centre sending people who don't need the course or can't do the course just to tick boxes and make up numbers of referrals. Can't wait to come off it completely, it's a horrible demoralising place full of people who don't listen at all. Have been 3 times in my life and this has been easily the worst. Hopefully things will start to look up and husband's DBS won't take too much longer. Good luck to anyone else still waiting, although from what Capita said Humberside Police Force is the slowest and most under-resourced of them all so I'm sure everyone else's will be much quicker.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast