My experience of pre reg visit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My experience of pre reg visit

Hi all just thought I'd share my experience as I was worried and it turned out fine so want to other reassurances to anyone else with impending visit. I've just had an extension to my house so my house is still higgledy piggledy . I finished my cypop5 months ago summer time I think and it's been filled away and I hadn't looked at eyfs since then. Then I got the call from ofsted on the Friday saying she wanted to come on Monday. Eek. I assumed when they phoned I'd be able to say could you come next month to give me some preparation time. But she said once you've been allocated an inspector they'd have 10 days to visit or you have to reapply. I didn't want to reapply do so we compromised on Wednesday as it was my daughters 3rd birthday at the weekend so I told her I wanted to focus on that not revising eyfs lol. My lovely neighbour told me I wouldn't pass because ofsted would think I had too many toys (my house is quite cluttered, I like toys ) so was very anxious.

The things I did was
    Put up a fence as my neighbours were obviously never going to get around to it grrr.
    I complete the preparing for pre reg booklet.
    Had a quick tidy of my house and throwing anything I didn't want on show in a room I wouldn't want registering.
    I wrote risk assessments. It was brief a table with columns for hazard, what risk was, how I was dealing with it.
    Printed out policies I wrote from cypop5 . (Added a bit to safeguarding one about mobile phone and camera use as I noticed that was a requirement of eyfs. Even though I'd submitted and passed that policy as cypop5 without it . Me and my tutor must have missed it. )
    Printed a blank form for 2 year progress check.
    Printed a blank observation form

When she asked questions about riskassements, how I would observe , how I'd do 2 year check I just should her forms I had.

My house was not overly clean and tidy, my garden is a mud bath at the minute lol. I was in no way as prepared as I'd have liked to be but I still 'passed' . She didn't expect me to know everything so it's not a test as such. In fact a lot of times she answered her own questions before I got a word in.
    When I did house tour I explained what my plans for certain areas were and she was happy with that.

Things she asked me I wasn't expecting and that I wasn't prepared for were what I'd done since leaving school. I wished I'd printed a cv because I've done bits of jobs here and there and couldn't remember what I'd done when. I realise now I forgot to tell her about one of jobs I did for 2 years lol. Opps.
    She asked me about my glass porch and whether it was saftey glass. I didn't have a clue but said I'd try and find out. She was fine with that.
    She asked me about schemas. I don't remember learning about that on cypop5 but have come across it before in past jobs so I could answer. But for those pre reg who haven't heard about it is reptititive behaviours and she just wanted to make sure I didn't see it as a 'naughty behaviour' but as kid learning.
    Also I got something wrong and she just told me what the right answer was. She'd asked me what I'd do if I had 4 kids and 1 of them needed ambulance would I wait for parents. I said no if It was time critical we'd all go and parents could meet kids at hospital. She told me that many people couldn't go in an ambulance lol. Opps. So even with dumb answers like that you can still pass.

Anyway I've gone on a bit here. But I was terrified about the visit as I wasn't prepared but it went fine so just wanted to reassure anyone that might be feeling like I was. She was nice and down to earth and gave me lots of great ideas.
    Last edited by Petshrinklj; 06-02-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am petrified lol so it is good to read that you have had a good meeting Well done xx

3. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    Congratulations on passing! X

5. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was really reassuring to read, thank you for the great feedback and well done! x

7. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this.

I'm in very early days (waiting to start my pre reg course) but I want to get registered as quickly as possible. The pre reg visit scares the life out of me but this has helped

Congrats x

9. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing x Congratulations on passing xx Reading this has made me feel better, just awaiting the phonecall!

11. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun, so did she not expect you to know too much of the eyfs?? This is the thing that has been stressing me out, I know a bit about it and linking activities to the seven areas of development. I really really want this. WELL DONE by the way and good luck for a successful business xx

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi your not expected to know it word for word but they need to know you will meet the requirements. So read through it and if it says settings must have something then make sure you do. E..g fire evacuation procedure etc. If you are able to answer pre reg question booklet (even if you need to read your answers to inspector) then you will be fine. Good luck