Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default researching local childminders

How do you do it?
    I want to find out how much childminders round here charge but non have a website and most dont have profiles on childcare. Would you just call up pretending to be a parent or would you just call up saying im currently registering?
    Theres a cm the next street from me im really interested in hearing if she thinks there is a demand locally.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would phone up & be honest, saying you're registering and wonder if she would mind if you asked a few questions.

Us childminders do get to know which callers sound genuine & which ones are just fishing for info

I would much rather a new cm was honest with me. I'm more than happy to help if they just ask

3. Likes dawn100, rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you not have a Family information directory run by your early years team/ council. I thought most areas have a family information service where parents can ring or access the web page which lists all the local childminders. Ours and my neighbouring county council have a web page with childminders info with fees/vacancies/what the childminder offers.
    Pixie Dust

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes as Pixie dust suggested check on your LA FIS website, hopefully you can do a childcare search. Although not all childminders announce their fees via their LA website. In that section I and many I know have used the wording 'contact provider'

6. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what mouse said and dont phone up pretending to be a parent as I know that can really put up some cm's backs as most can tell the difference.
    I think most cm's prefer honesty, some might not be prepared to help or share info but hopefully you will some who will.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you get yourself down to your local library and use their computers

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about visiting your local Children's Centre? They should be able to give you an idea about local costs.