Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I did it

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I did it

So pleased, after a mental weekend preparing for the visit today, I had a very successful visit.

Bit of feedback,

First off the lady from trident set herself up at the table and went through the identifications and other documents that she needed to see.

Then she asked me to do a tour of the house, pointing out where we had made changes to adapt for young children.
    Once we completed that we sat down and discussed thepolicies and risk assessments I had completed. Then activities we would do with children from different age groups, and from there we basically went through the booklet.

we had to break off briefly and walk my eldest to school which she was happy to join us on.

When back we had cuppa in a lidded cup ( because my youngest was wandering around)

We finished off her questions. We had a few questions to go over regarding my health because of my medical history but that has been fine and she was positive

Went into depth on special needs and adapting to accommodate.

My advice is don't panic, check you have all your policies in place and risk assessments completed as she went through the folder in detai whilst I dealt with my two children. Fill in the booklet because when I was making tea she had areas through of my notes.

If you have prepared and keep calm it is nothing to fear x

2. Likes sarah707, Rick, dawn100 liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well done! Thank you for the feedback! I start my Pre-reg course tomorrow and I'm so excited!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and well done, so pleased to hear that it was a good and positive experience for you.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done and thanks for the feedback

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and glad it went so well.

I am interested in on comment and wondered if you could say how this was discussed and what changes she expected you to make?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Congratulations and glad it went so well.

I am interested in on comment and wondered if you could say how this was discussed and what changes she expected you to make?

Sorry i have only just seen this comment. She asked me if I had experience of working with children with special needs and discussed how it would be possible to accommodate those different needs within my setting. I told her about my experiences as a teacher previously and volunteering at a school for children with special educational needs.

I discussed that if I was to take on a child with specific needs I would undertake training in this area to better understand how I could help that child and adapt as a result. I gave my makaton training when I worked with a young deaf girl as an example.

I pointed out that I have a downstairs toilet for reduce mobility use that spacious and easy to access. It was then linked to working with outside agencies that children might have for additional support like educational psychologists and the like. I think it came up because of my background working as a teacher.

If wasn't about completing building work and ramps to change your home to fit a wheel chair if that makes sense.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! Its so helpful to read other peoples experiences. I will prob have my youngest with me when they do my pre reg visit do they mind?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

brill news well done x

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! That's super news! and really useful feedback thank you!

I know it varies area to area depending on their workload but how long was it from actually registering with Ofsted til they visited for pre-visit? I only have my first aid to do which I'm doing a week today but have read on Ofsted's website it can take them up to 12 weeks to come out so was wondering about submitting the form in the next day or two as everything else is ready but my LA aren't keen for me to do it until I've definitely got all the certificates to hand in case they come immediately but I wouldn't have thought that would be the case as I'm assuming they'd get the medical and DBS stuff sorted before visiting.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done bip1982!

Joannes - I'm currently setting up. I applied in November after my LA courses before I had even done my first aid. The forms came back and I sent off my medical and DBS. My DBS only took a week but my OH only got his back last week! I'm now waiting for the call to say ofsted are coming. :-)

So if I was you I would get it sent off as it is a lengthy process!!

B x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks B.

I've printed the forms off (all 60-odd pages!) and will crack on. My partner already has a DBS for work as he is a bus driver and had to renew it two months ago so I'm assuming he can just use that as it's current and now they're renewed annually anyways... bit pointless to have one for work and one for home when it covers the same things. Hoping all goes smoothly. It is nerve wracking isn't it setting up initially because you invest so much time, effort (and money!) and fear being refused registration even if there's no logical reason to be. Just want to get going now.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Id crack on asap hun I waited 12 weels.for my dbs check to come back and still waiting to hear when my pre reg visit is happening.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean joannes!! I'm a nervous wreck now waiting for the call. I've spent so much money! I've got 4.5yes experience and know the eyfs but I'm still scared something might go
    Wrong. I hope not as I have 5 mindees ready and waiting for me to give them the thumbs up!! :-)

Xx