Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: hello everyone!

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Question hello everyone!

So i have been thinking on and off to become a childminder so i can spend time with my 15month old- but i cant until i move out of our rented place and so thought i would look for info and other things while im waiting- and to see if defo want to become one!

bit worried if for some reason ofsted come and i dont get a good grade will it affect my daughter? silly question but need to ask lol

and i dont want her to become a job- so how do you seperate work from family mode?

Many thanks and soz again with the silly questions

jj

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi n welcome.

Why do you need to move? Quite a few of us mind from rented?

Also to answer your question about your daughter being affected what do you mean?

Personally I have 1ds and for me to mind has helped him in lots of ways as he is better at sharing, taking turns etc.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjbuttons View Post
    So i have been thinking on and off to become a childminder so i can spend time with my 15month old- but i cant until i move out of our rented place and so thought i would look for info and other things while im waiting- and to see if defo want to become one!

bit worried if for some reason ofsted come and i dont get a good grade will it affect my daughter? silly question but need to ask lol

and i dont want her to become a job- so how do you seperate work from family mode?

Many thanks and soz again with the silly questions

jj
    You can CM from rented- have you talked to your landlord about it?

Do you mean will a low CM Ofsted grade reflect on your parenting ability? No, CMing and parenting are very different things! There won't be any effect on your daughter of a poor grading- and Ofsted are not interested in your own children when it comes to inspections (they do count in your numbers until they are at full-time school) but Ofsted are not interested in observing them or their development etc. They only want to know about the mindees.

As for work/family mode- the mindees are part of the family when they are here, we all play together, eat together etc and with a young one already you will probably carry on with toddler groups or soft play or parent and baby groups with your own child plus the mindees (if you care for little ones). You own daughter will gain from having others to play with and benefit from the activities you will be planning. It can be tough for them to have to share you and their home but most get used to it and over all the benefits of being able to work from home and care for you own child over come any difficulties.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou so much guys (gail it was about would they judge me as a parent if get a low grade etc) and i need to move as in top floor flat with no lift and struggle to get 1 pushchair up plus dont have much room want to move anyway

x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I also question how I will react when I get my first grading. I have children of my own aged 8, 6 and 3 and I know I will question my parenting skills if I get a lower grade than I'd like.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

exactly thats what is putting me off as worried will get judged as a parent lol :S looks like there is alot to do to register- need to re look and try to take it all in! i work as a tutor at a sch school at mo so ofsted scares me as it is haha

(this post might sound all negative but its just because its all new to me!)

did any of you have nerves when you chose this work? i guess it gets easier the feeling?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have nerves on start up. Will I have enough income from this. Will families like me or what im offering. There are plenty of people who are willing to make us feel negative at every turn if we let them.

My advice.... check if there is a big enough market share for you where you live... check out your competitors and see what your usp will be and go for it