Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on cost of registering and setting up

Hi everyone

Im planning to set up childminding about this time next year, its something Ive always wanted to do but now I have my own little girl its the perfect opportunity to be able to spend time with her and have a career.
    I have an endless list of question and just looking through this forum has been a great help already. But the most important question is how much registering and setting up will cost?

I know I will need to pay for:
    -first aid course
    -registering with ofsted
    -crb checks
    -insurance
    -safety eqipment
    -toys and equipment for children

I know i will need to pay for all of this and more but some ruff figures would help a lot if anyone can help. If Im missed anything off that would be really helpful too.
    Thanks in advance

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I'm sure someone will help you with this.

In the meantime here is a useful thread about registering as a childminder

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ildminder.html

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello~ Please see below list. I hope it helps. Cheers!

-first aid course
    I attended a course run by St John which cost me £114. All courses were full so it's the only choice for me. I believe there are cheaper courses so better book earlier. Try Switch Training website.

-childminding introductory course: £170 (I think it may be different from different areas)
    -registering with ofsted :Should be £35 + health check depending on your GP, around £20-30
    -crb checks: covered by Ofsted
    -insurance: PACEY £96 or MM £45 (Pacey with childminding membership and support)
    -safety eqipment: fire blanket ard £15, can't comment on other safety equipment as it's specific for your home
    -toys and equipment for children: i started with few story books, play mats and drawing material. I spent £100 to start with

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

also, safeguarding training online course £30, you need to do this before you register with Ofsted

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for thay information it really helps.

I have spoke to my local councils childcare services and they do a free childminding briefing which is a 3hour session for 4 weeks, would this be the course you've mentioned? Apart from attending this they said I would just need to pay for my first aid and the safeguarding course.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I know some councils will provide the childminding course for free and they may change the requirement. Perhaps you can ask if the course they provide is a 'CYPOP5' course, if not, do you still need to take that?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes my local authority approved Introduction To Childminding Practice course was only £30. 10 sessions on a Tuesday evening for 3 hours.