Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: fire blanket

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fire blanket

Does it have to be a certain kite mark. I have found this one, is that ok?
    Economy fire blanket for Home kitchen

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just found a cheaper one on amazon i think i will get. I assume it is ok
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Blanket...d_bxgy_d_img_y

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have one since Sept 2012. I took it down with glee as it was paying lip service to Ofsted anyway, I would never have used it if I was childminding and I hated having it on my kitchen wall!

Our duty is to get children out of the house if there is a fire and not stay to fight a fire. You should be trained to use even a Fire Blanket and I have never seen any LA offer such Training in the 19 years I have been a childminder.

In my former employment (a Catering manager) I was sent on a 2 day course to learn how to use a Fire Blanket and the different Extinguishers and at work I was not allowed to use the items until I had completed the training.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A fire blanket is no longer a requirement of the EYFS 2012 - however, a lot of Ofsted inspectors will still look for one and my fire safety officer told me it was very good practice to have one.

It's not something I would skimp on to be honest - spend money and get a proper one with a kite mark - at least then you know if there is a tea towel fire or you catch clothing on the gas, you can cover yourself with the blanket quickly and it's going to work properly.

Hth

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Sarah, and have one, not for the gas catching my teatowel because I have electric, but because we have bbq's and candles on occasion! I too have been trained to use them (several times!) and would suggest that as a minimum you look on you tube or somewhere for a demonstration, it's not as obvious as you'd think to use one without making things worse!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks will definately get one then

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only just seen this post.
    I have a fire blanket, I have had it since I registered, and so I suspect it should be renewed soon.
    However, I did attend training for what to do in the event of a fire, and the trainer, a fireman with 20plus years experience, said that unless someone has been trained in how to use a blanket, they are likely to cause more damage than if not used. I wont go into details, but when he demonstrated the way that most untrained people use a blanket, (exactly the way I would have used it) it was obvious that it was dangerous.
    He recommended as part of the training that a blanket was never used to try to contain a fire, by someone on their own with children, even if they had training, and that the safest thing to do was to get out as quickly as possible.
    The best use for a fire blanket is to wrap someone in it, if they are unfortunate enough to be on fire.
    So as I said, I still have mine, but I would never use it, apart from on a person.
    I haven't looked but I think that it should be easy to see how to use one on Youbube.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

my fire blanket came today and it dosen't have a kite mark is this a problem, should i send it back and get a different one?

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dawntom View Post
    my fire blanket came today and it dosen't have a kite mark is this a problem, should i send it back and get a different one?
    Yeah I would send it back. I am in Scotland and we have to have a fire blanket and the first one I ordered in time for my fire inspection with the local fire crew didn't have the kite mark and they told me not to use it and to send it back x