Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Interviewing families - tips for new childminders

Well... not necessarily for new childminders... all childminders might benefit from reflecting on their interview techniques and thinking about how to attract and retain new business.

You will find advertising tips on this forum thread - Advertising tips

A lot of childminders find interviews challenging. Here are some interview tips from established childminders -

• Before parents are due to arrive brush your hair, clean your teeth and put on a clean top - yes, I know it’s obvious but if you arrange an interview during the working day you might need to spend a moment on personal grooming.
    • Tidiness is not essential - children make a mess - but cleanliness is! You need to present your home and garden as well as possible. Put out some appropriate toys for the age of child who is coming to visit and introduce them to current children to help them feel at home and comfortable.
    • Watch the child with their parents - this will give you a valuable insight into how they are likely to settle in the initial weeks.
    • Breathe before answering to give yourself a moment to think before blurting out something best left unsaid!
    • Don’t share confidential information about children and families who currently use (or used to use) your provision.
    • Don’t forget to offer a drink - and put it somewhere high up if it is hot. The children should be offered a drink of water as well in an appropriate cup.
    • Make sure your evidence file / parents folder is professional and give parents time to browse through it before they ask questions.

Don’t forget to put your own safety and the safety of the children in your care first! Speak to parents on the phone and ask them questions - get a feel for them and if you are at all unsure organise the first meeting at a mutually convenient coffee shop or toddler group.

Please add your best interview tips to the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice and tips! Thanks

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

the main thing to add is -RELAX

My best friend and I both mind. She is , I have to admit , a far far better cm than I am - from her natural ability to her up to date paperwork

two families have visited us both , both have chosen me. Purely ( I think) because Im much more relaxed around new people and her nerves get the better of her. If parents saw past this then I have no doubt I would have 2 less mindees!

If it helps remember you are 'interviewing them' as potential clients as much as the other way round!

4. Likes danemi1 liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    ...brush your hair...
    Would it be permissible for me to substitute that with 'polish scalp'?

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember your first job interview?…for me it was a bit like that.

I bet you're imagining parents ranging from ultra-nervous themselves to confident, arrogant and pushy, however you'll soon develop ways to handle them all. Don't be consumed by how poorly you handle interviews, think about how good you are as a childminder and enthuse over the exciting outings and fun you and LO are going to have.

Talking about money and fees are often the biggest worry for new childminders ~ but just remember parents will expect to talk about this a some stage. If you are nervous about broaching the subject, maybe hold off for a while and perhaps the parent might bring it up.

You'll soon learn to detect whether a parent is happy with your prices, body language can be quite revealing. The key is to find out whether it's more than they can afford to pay, or more than they want to pay. Get to know what others are charging, if it's less than you and it seems a big deal, be ready to go through the unique aspects of your setting, what you provide that others don't, why you are worth that little bit extra. If need be, think of what concessions you are able to offer ~ sometimes parents will accept whatever terms you have, others will like to negotiate.

Also, a little preparation will help you explain exactly how you intend to charge (don't forget absences and holidays). Try to make your pricing structure simple at first. Repeat over to yourself what you want to say, maybe to a friend (or even the mirror) so you don't become tongue-tied.

I'm still looking for the magic formula…

Oh yeah…to the list I would add:

Make sure there are no unpleasant odours and the house smells clean…and be careful of the dog ~ a lot of children can be quite nervous if not introduced progressively ~ you don't want to have to calm a hysterical child as soon as the door is opened!

7. Likes AmeChaSar198 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help help help

hi,

I have made up a flyer for my childminding - with space for parent / parents to put some info on prior to me seeing them, I haven't yet become a childminder and am doing all these thing's in preparation - anybody else have some ideas for me !!!