Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Childiminding Help for a newbie

Hi all

I'm new here and am hoping that you might be able to give me some guidance...

After having had a nightmare with employment and childcare and jobs not working out etc since becoming a mum I have decided to look into becoming a childminder.

I've done a lot of reading on the grand old interweb and have been left a little confused with where to start. Do you start with applying for the DBS check or the Early Years Introductory course provided by your local authority or both?

Do I need any formal qualifications? I have read that I dont (except first aid etc). But what is the EYFS? Is this a course that you have to do? How much does it cost?

I also have a standard 3 bed semi with a garden. I dont have a separate playroom but the lounge / diner is a nice big space. We do have an understairs cupboard to hide away the toys at the end of the day to make it a grown ups room again but what do you do with the little ones that need a nap during the day? Do you have travel cots / sleep mats upstairs and a monitor? My DD currently goes to a minder and she sleeps in the play room at nap time while the bigger ones have run of the lounge.

What size car do you need - obviously depends on the number of kidlets you will be looking after but I dont want to fork out on a bus when I am just starting out. I currently have a 5 door saloon but my DD's car seat takes up so much room I doubt I would fit 3 little botties on the back seat.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You start by finding a course - your LA should be able to advise.

After the course you should have all the information you need to register and the answers to all your questions

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Car- You can seat a baby in the front- turn off airbag if rear-facing. If front facing move seat as far back as possible- check your car instruction booklet/car set booklet.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-t...r-booster-seat

I worked for a few years with a regular hatch back. Now have a 7-seater but that's as much for my own family as CMing.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sleeping- good to have yourself some options: I have 2 wooden cots upstairs and one sleeping in a buggy downstairs. I have used travel cots in the past. Some babies prefer a buggy, some prefer a cot, some like to be away somewhere quiet/dark, others need to be close to you.

EYFS 2014 is the Gov statutory framework we have to work to. You will need a copy- download and print: EYFS Statutory Framework

Courses: Your local authority will tell you what course you need to do and how/where you can do it (it can differ by area so best talking to local authority first). There will be safeguarding training to do too- but again, local authority need to advise you as local requirements can differ.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireW View Post
    Hi all

I'm new here and am hoping that you might be able to give me some guidance...

After having had a nightmare with employment and childcare and jobs not working out etc since becoming a mum I have decided to look into becoming a childminder.

I've done a lot of reading on the grand old interweb and have been left a little confused with where to start. Do you start with applying for the DBS check or the Early Years Introductory course provided by your local authority or both?

Do I need any formal qualifications? I have read that I dont (except first aid etc). But what is the EYFS? Is this a course that you have to do? How much does it cost?

I also have a standard 3 bed semi with a garden. I dont have a separate playroom but the lounge / diner is a nice big space. We do have an understairs cupboard to hide away the toys at the end of the day to make it a grown ups room again but what do you do with the little ones that need a nap during the day? Do you have travel cots / sleep mats upstairs and a monitor? My DD currently goes to a minder and she sleeps in the play room at nap time while the bigger ones have run of the lounge.

What size car do you need - obviously depends on the number of kidlets you will be looking after but I dont want to fork out on a bus when I am just starting out. I currently have a 5 door saloon but my DD's car seat takes up so much room I doubt I would fit 3 little botties on the back seat.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer
    Your LA is duty bound to provide you with all the information regarding registration with Ofsted at their pre-reg briefing...or signpost you to registration with a cm agency.

This will also include pointing you to the Grant for a Start up Business for cms from this dept
    Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page
    it isn't a lot but it will help you...it is a grant so no need to pay it back to the Equality Dept.

Your LA may offer the initial training at a cost...or you can look to train elsewhere as it is not compulsory to attend the LA pre registration training although it would be best to attend their Safeguarding for Local procedures...First Aid you can do anywhere you like.
    Make sure you ask as many questions as you can on the 15 hours of 'free' childcare ....so you can do the sums on how to sustain your business and what you want to charge parents
    if you can attend a business workshop to get you started on how to be a financial manager for your business!!

Some LAs may visit your home to advise you on how to set up...if not you could approach another cm and see if she would be willing to offer some support on your house and environment
    Hopefully you will be able to adapt your home to your needs and those of the children once you start caring for them

Many cms have a playroom but this is not compulsory and it does not mean the children are in one room all day...for cms the whole house can be used and you can tell Ofsted how you intend to make the best of each room even upstairs ones where the children can sleep.

Good luck ...hope you get to registration without too much stress!!