Level 2 qualified do I need the 6 day training?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Level 2 qualified do I need the 6 day training?

I gained a cache level 2 at distinction in childcare and education and on the pathways to being a childminder course the lady told me I didn't have to do all the training just the cpop5 day. I emailed to confirm and ask how yo book just the 1 day and was told that I'm not properly qualified and need to do the whole thing!!?

So I'm asking on here to see if anyone can clear this up for me? Did I waste a year at college?!

I'm in Northamptonshire if that makes any difference

Non childminder member
    Working to be
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face I'm having the same problem

I can see where your coming from as I'm having the same problem. I have my a levels in child care which is just over NVQ level 3. It's taken me 7 weeks to get all the information on this and I'm still not completely sure. As you don't actually need proper qualifications to do childminding it does help in your application. In the application to ofstead it says you need to do a government approved course. Cypop5 course. It's 185 (or 165) pound not completely sure. This is different to what we would have studied as it explains how to be a childminder and contains all the information you will need on your day to day routine of being a childminder. I've seen on here that experienced childminders have done the online course within days where others have taken months! I'm also struggling about having your crb checks done be4 doing the course as I don't know yet how to obtain one. Essex county council told me to do the course thro pacey (NCMA) joining with them gets you all the extras and paper work and advice you will need for registration and while your working as a childminder. I'm not sure if the course cost covers the joining cost etc etc. still looking in to it. Hope this helps a little

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Since tge change in September everyone has to do tge whole course as far as I am aware regardless of previous qualifications.m

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Blue Bear is right - the statutory requirements have changed since Sept 2012.

Regardless of prior qualifications - you could be a fully qualified nursery teacher or a plumber - you still have to do a Local Authority approved introduction to childminding course - normally called Cypop 5 BEFORE you can contact Ofsted to apply to be a childminder.

Hth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your replies

Cant say I'm not a little P'd off as I've done a year at college which has surely got to count for more than 5 days compacted plus I'm studying a degree in Early years!

Hmm ok, I guess I will just have sit through it all.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Louise Wall View Post
    Hi

Thanks for your replies

Cant say I'm not a little P'd off as I've done a year at college which has surely got to count for more than 5 days compacted plus I'm studying a degree in Early years!

Your qualifications and training do count and OFSTED will be very interested and happy that you have them but the legislation says that you have to attend a chilminding specific course which will cover aspects of childminding that you do not find in other childcare jobs - working alone, child protection which will include protecting yourself and others in your household from allegations,preparing for inspections, paperwork, relevant legislation for childminding and what you have to meet legally, registering with environmental health, the information commissioner etc, working closely with families and how to maintain professionalism, where to find support when you are registered etc etc. Childminding is very different from working with children in any other envirionment.

My friend has just attended her briefing session she is level 3 qualified, runs the local playgroup and can't wait to start the CYPOP 5 course. Try to enjoy it.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I have already done ICP course but am now re registering and have had to do the cypop5 course as well
    Mandy xx

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue I have a first class honours degree in childcare education and childhood studies.

I was told I didn't need to do cypop5 so I handed my notice in my job just to be told I had to and it would be a year until I finished cypop5.

It depends on your LA in South Tyneside you have to do the course no matter what but it has to be their course and you have to fight for a place!

You haven't wasted a year you have your qualification and that will encourage parents you are qualified to care for their children.

Hope this helps x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to tutor many years ago on old ICP course - had many early years teachers who wanted to become childminders and even a lady who had been childminding for many years but who forgot to pay her Ofsted registration fee and they de-registered her - so she had to do ICP again.

I was asked to tutor the course as I had a teaching adults qualification and had previously been a childminder - when I decided to go back into childminding, I had to do the course that I was the tutor for!

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    ...I had to do the course that I was the tutor for!
    That is so laughable!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear hectors house, I can imagine how you felt!!
    I was a tutor for ICP for 8 years and can remember how annoyed teachers were at having to do it. However, afterwards one of them acknowledged that it had helped her to understand the roles and responsibilities of becoming a childminder

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no that really is silly!!! I bet you weren't impressed with that!!

I just spoke to the council as well and now the next course is july and my maternity pay will run out before then so now I'm in a flap! Can I do the course online or with a private tutor/company elsewhere to get it done quicker or does it have to be via council? Thansk

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no that really is silly!!! I bet you weren't impressed with that!!

I just spoke to the council as well and now the next course is july and my maternity pay will run out before then so now I'm in a flap! Can I do the course online or with a private tutor/company elsewhere to get it done quicker or does it have to be via council? Thansk
    You will to check with your LA. Some will allow you to do it privately others insist that you have to do their own course.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Thanks for your replies

I think you are getting a little confused. Where has the 5 days come from?

You say you have done a level 2 which is very good and no qualification is wasted.

However it is now a requirement to have a Level 3 qualification and this is the CYPOP 5.

The five is nothing to do with days. It is one large Unit in the Level 3 Diploma Children and the Young People's Workforce. It covers all you need to start you off in your Childminding Career. It gets you writing all your Polices etc. It can take between 3-6 months to complete as a newly registering childminder. I did the Level 3 Diploma last year and this Unit took me 8 hours to complete. That was because I had already done a lot of the work whilst completing other Units and as a working and experienced childminder I had already got Policies, and other paperwork to hand because I already use it.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cypop5 course is really useful you should not feel like you are wasting your time. Go in with an open mind and you will learn new things. You will also meet other perspective childminders and make friends with them. I was more qualified than my tutors when I took the course but they had different experiences and knowledge that was invaluable.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh in answer to your other question, it depends where you live. I had to do a council approved course and it took 4 months. They only hold 2 a year so I guess you have to time it right. My registration with Ofsted took 3 months and then it took another 3 months to get my first child to cm. it is a long road and it is not something that will be easy, no matter what qualifications you have. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I think you are getting a little confused. Where has the 5 days come from?

You say you have done a level 2 which is very good and no qualification is wasted.

However it is now a requirement to have a Level 3 qualification and this is the CYPOP 5.

The five is nothing to do with days. It is one large Unit in the Level 3 Diploma Children and the Young People's Workforce. It covers all you need to start you off in your Childminding Career. It gets you writing all your Polices etc. It can take between 3-6 months to complete as a newly registering childminder. I did the Level 3 Diploma last year and this Unit took me 8 hours to complete. That was because I had already done a lot of the work whilst completing other Units and as a working and experienced childminder I had already got Policies, and other paperwork to hand because I already use it.
    With Northampton Council they run the course as a classroom course 2 days per week for 3 weeks (1 day is only 1/2 day) I think you still have time to do work at home but you have to attend the classroom sessions