Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Registering as a childminder - UPDATED 05.2017

The procedure for registering as a childminder in England - updated 05.2017 provided by Ofsted.

Starting childminding

This information has been shared by Ofsted and will be helpful to all newly registering childminders. Please feel free to share it widely.

You will find some useful pre-registration information in this document -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ildminders.pdf.

You can find more information about what it means to be a childminder here - What is a Childminder? - Childcare.co.uk.

Use the Ofsted Online website to register with Ofsted as a childminder. Currently, to do this you will need a Government Gateway login. The Government Gateway is the way everyone needs to access many government services at the moment, and means you don't need separate logins to pay tax, apply for a drivers licence, pay VAT or other transaction. It is very secure.

You will need some documents ready to complete your registration:

- DBS certificate for you, and for anyone in your house who is aged 16 or over. This link should be used Ofsted DBS Application - Security Watchdog - Welcome to register you as a childminder, to register an assistant, and anyone such as a family member or lodger who lives in your house.

Note - Ofsted will only accept DBS disclosure notices obtained via another organisation if it is an enhanced level check, and the individual has also registered with the update service. You need to register with the update service within 19 days of the certificate being issued and a subscription must be paid annually.

- Forms of proof of I.D and address, and a verified Identity Checking Form from the same site - Ofsted DBS Application - Security Watchdog - Welcome. There is a list of people who can provide a reference for you on the site and a list of the suitable documents we can accept. These need to be scanned in and emailed, not sent in the post. If you have changed your name you will need a marriage or deed poll certificate.

- Fill in form EY2 (and an EYC form, which is for people who are living in your house, if necessary) available at Welcome. You will receive from Ofsted a URN or 'unique reference number' - quote this on anything you send us. You will need a DBS certificate number before you can do this part.

- You may need a SSAFA or Core Assets check if you or someone in your house has lived or worked on a UK military base overseas. This can take around six weeks.

- Download a Health Declaration Booklet and get your GP to sign it. Download it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...th-declaration Then return it to us at: FAO Applications team, ARC, Ofsted, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD. Please quote your URN on it so we can tie it up with the rest of your application. Be aware that Ofsted will occasionally follow up with you if they have further questions.

Note - If you think you might have a problem with either the DBS or medical check, you should ask advice BEFORE making any investments into the new business or taking the pre-registration course.

- Make sure you have a paediatric first aid certificate before you register or be signed up to a course which will give you this certificate within six weeks of your registration visit.

- You will be required to pay a fee to Ofsted. You can find more information about the fee structure for the different registers here - https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...r/how-to-apply.

- You should have completed a course in childminding registration to ensure that you are capable of delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage - https://www.gov.uk/early-years-foundation-stage - but you don't have to re-do any training just for this registration if you've already got an NVQ level 3 or similar qualification. Your registration visit from the Ofsted Inspector will be based around checking this understanding.

- When you submit your application, Ofsted will follow the procedures detailed here -
    https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...fter-you-apply.
    This website also covers how to object to and appeal a decision and how to withdraw your application if you change your mind.

- When your registration visit happens, you will need proof of I.D / address again and be able to show your DBS certificate and first aid if possible. You will find guidance for the registration visit in the Early Years Registration handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...g_handbook.pdf (page 16 onwards).

How to contact Ofsted
    You can telephone: 0300 123 1231 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)
    You can email: enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

You will find the answers to a lot of frequently asked questions about becoming a childminder here - becoming a registered childminder

While waiting for all this to go through you need to -

- Write your policies and procedures - the statutory ones are listed here - Paperwork! - Policies, procedures, permissions forms, contracts and booklets.

- Write your contracts, permission forms, fees policy and other documentation needed to manage your business. You will find lots of free information here - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk.

- Think about how you will run your provision - what days do you want to work? What hours? Where will children play? Do you have a wish list of ideas for the future to show Ofsted?

- Think about how you will teach children - Childminding and teaching -

- And monitor children's learning and development - Free Downloads.

- Read and make sure you understand and are ready to comply with the requirements of the EYFS and Childcare Registers

EYFS - EYFS Statutory Framework | From pregnancy to children aged 5.

Childcare Register annex C) - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...g_handbook.pdf.

- Check you have enough floor space for childminded children and your own children who are always in your ratios, apart from when they are out of the house - Space Requirements.

- Make sure your house and garden are safe. You will find lots of help here - Risk assessments and the EYFS :: Eyfs for Childminders.

More help and advice

You will find lots of advice about things you can do to help you prepare for the Ofsted registration visit here - childminders page

You cannot work as a registered childminder until Ofsted has sent you your registration certificate AND you have appropriate public liability insurance. Childcare.co.uk gold members receive insurance as part of their membership - https://www.childcare.co.uk/insurance.

You will also get lots of help and advice by chatting to other members of the Childminding Forum.

If you need help using the forum you will find answers to frequently asked questions here - Questions and Information on using the Forum

The Independent Childminders Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/independentchildminders

Free Information Guides from Childcare.co.uk - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk

If you are not sure, just ask!
    Last edited by sarah707; 12-05-2017 at 09:02 AM.

2. Likes Bumble Beez, Cavegirl, Nyeha liked this post
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perfect!

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you :-)

Non childminder member
    Working to be
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Pre registration meetings

Essex has stopped doing there pre registration meetings and said the are replacing the with informative emails soon. And with Essex you have to do the approved course that Pacey offer which is £185. which you have to do even if you have high nvqs. Took me 7 weeks to work this out! Thought it might be useful for someone else who clicks on this post.

5. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devontrevillion View Post
    Essex has stopped doing there pre registration meetings and said the are replacing the with informative emails soon. And with Essex you have to do the approved course that Pacey offer which is £185. which you have to do even if you have high nvqs. Took me 7 weeks to work this out! Thought it might be useful for someone else who clicks on this post.
    Thank you for sharing!

I hope as more LAs outsource training other members will come onto the thread and update details for their local areas too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Starting childminding

Your first step is to contact your Local Authority and ask them about the timing of the next pre-registration course.

Some Local Authorities might charge you a fee for the course.

It is a legal requirement that you do a pre-registration course regardless of any previous experience or qualifications BEFORE you contact Ofsted.

Once you have completed the course and a 12 hour paediatric First Aid course you will be able to apply to Ofsted.

You will find the answers to a lot of frequently asked questions about becoming a childminder here -

becoming a registered childminder

Applying to Ofsted

You will need patience as it can be a long process.

You will be required to apply for a DBS (formerly CRB) check for everyone over 16 living on your premises.

You will need a medical declaration to show you are fit to work as a childminder - your doctor will probably charge you for this.

If you think you might have a problem with either the DBS or medical check, you should ask advice BEFORE taking the pre-registration course.

After checking all your paperwork, Ofsted will arrange to come out and visit you.

Your pre-registration visit

Ofsted or one of their partners will telephone you to arrange to visit. Before the visit you should complete the booklet which you can find here -

Ofsted Pre-Registration

You will find lots of advice about things you can do to help you prepare for the Ofsted pre-registration visit here -

childminders page

You cannot work as a registered childminder until Ofsted has sent you your registration certificate AND you have appropriate public liability insurance.

You can find more information about insurance options here -

Morton Michel Insurance

And here -

PACEY (formerly NCMA) and SCMA

More help and advice

You will also get lots of help and advice by chatting to other members of the Childminding Forum.

If you need help using the forum you will find answers to frequently asked questions here -

Questions and Information on using the Forum
    Hi that's great. I was just wondering what modifications you would need to do to your house in order for it to be a safe childminding environment? I'm really interested in being a childminder. Thank you.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

hi!

what is the course that pacey offers for the essex area??

many thanks!

jj

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum I have just had my reg visit . U have definitely come to the right place this forum is fab :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjbuttons View Post
    hi! what is the course that pacey offers for the essex area?? many thanks! jj
    It's the CYPOP5 course. I have just finished it. They send a text book which really helps.

Non childminder member
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre -registration advice

Hi can anyone help me I am in the process of becoming a registered childminder. I have got parents who want to come and look at my setting even though I am pre -registered can I allow them to come and look I have informed them that my setting will not be opened until at least September. And can I have a waiting list with children's name on it fo places for next year
    amanda1803

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes you are allowed to advertise and show potential parents around your house, so long as they are fully aware you can't start until your certificate arrives

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update for Somerset County Council - I completed their training course last month. It was the last one they were running. It will now be outsourced to SCIL but instead of £50 I think it will be in region of the Pacey cost approx £185.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi can anyone help I'm wanting to become a childminder I have my NVQ level 3 I'm childcare and education with lots of experience. Do I still need to do the NVQ in childminding?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Wild View Post
    Hi can anyone help I'm wanting to become a childminder I have my NVQ level 3 I'm childcare and education with lots of experience. Do I still need to do the NVQ in childminding?
    To become a childminder you would have to do a local authority approved course, regardless of any previous qualifications

16. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre registration course

Hi, I was looking forward to doing the pre registration course but was then informed that it was cancelled and the next one will be end of September, but it could also be canceled if they do not have enough attendees.
    Does anyone know of/ or have done an online pre registration course other than the one with pacey?
    Thanks
    Shan

18. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shanaaz View Post
    Hi, I was looking forward to doing the pre registration course but was then informed that it was cancelled and the next one will be end of September, but it could also be canceled if they do not have enough attendees.
    Does anyone know of/ or have done an online pre registration course other than the one with pacey?
    Thanks
    Shan
    Your local authority should be able to advise you about the best course to do... have you talked to them? x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pre reg visit

Hi,

I have my pre reg visit coming up - end of may

Has anyone been through one recently that can advise ??

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmeChaSar198 View Post
    Hi,

I have my pre reg visit coming up - end of may

Has anyone been through one recently that can advise ??
    You will be asked about how you will run your business - they want to see you ready to go ... pre-reg inspections are lasting between 2 and 4 hours on average I believe