Separate bank accounts advice needed.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Separate bank accounts advice needed.

Hi all,

So have sent all my forms and CRB off to Ofsted now and just got to wait for a letter confirming when they are coming to inspect. Just thinking about my accounts and wonderd if people find it easier to have a seperate buisness account or do you use your main bank account. I have a meeting with the bank on monday to look at buisness banking options.

Any advise would be great!

Thanks
    Christina

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who you bank with but Barclays charge to pay cheques into a business account, so I would advise against it. I did open one and am going to close it soon.
    As somebody said on here once "You are the business" so you just keep all the money. Result!

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Purely a personal choice I think, but I have a separate cm account just for my own preference. It's just a normal current a/c, not a special business one, I have a 'personal' account with the same bank aswell so it's easy to pop online and switch funds from one to the other if necessary.
    I put all my pay (some transfers, some cheques and any excess cash I don't need to keep out for running costs in, and use that a/c to pay for everything to do with cm, plus a few family bits aswell, like shopping, school trips, clubs etc. I try to put away money each month into my other a/c to save up for any tax bills, mot, big things like that
    Me and oh also have a joint a/c where his money goes in, I pay a bit in when I can and all our household bills go out of this, so in theory he pays for most of the bills, and I pay for day to day costs (with 3 of our own that's no mean feat, lol) but sometimes we have to juggle things around for big expenses or if I am a bit skint, as things can go up and down.

Everyone has different ways of working it hun, all I would suggest is if you can try and put some money away each month, you never know what's round the corner, and if you have a good year then it's a bonus

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just use my personal one. I keep good records of income and expenditure so I have no issue with using my personal bank account

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 business accounts with Santander and they are both free as long as you don't pay in more than several thousands of pounds, I can't remember how much but much more than a cm working alone could ever earn.

One is a current account and one a savings linked to the current account to put some aside for tax ect...

All of the parents pay into this account but I do use it for shopping and personal things, not just business.

I don't really need it because all of the money is mine anyway and I would not have one that charged you for paying in cheques or a fee.
    Jane xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use my own personal account and keep separate written records for the business

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a separate building society account.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered beginning of last year and opened a business account after 12 months they'll start charging me for using it so I'm planning in closing it and just using my personal account.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two separate current accounts - would advise against business accounts as banks can move goalposts easier re: charges etc and unnecessary to have all the features.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice! Gives me an idea now on what works etc. I think to start with I will use my normal bank account with HSBC and see how I get on then If it isn't working after a wile I can change. I just need to be organised on my accounts and expenditure and my tax etc and all should be fine

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much everything through my personal account. In addition, I set up an online account which acts like a piggy bank to put money on one side. I've worked out how much to put into it each month to cover annual/occasional expenses like registration fees, NCMA membership, insurance, tax, NI, training renewals, etc. It spreads it over a year (or 3) and so I don't get a shock when several of these expenses come up at the same time.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal bank account is a joint one with hubby - our only one! Would those of you in the know suggest setting up one just in my name for childminding?

oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have just started to ask about becoming an accredited childminder but have been told i have to have a business bank account for education funding have any of you been told this in your region. any advice please