Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Settling in sessions

Hi,

A dumb question alert - sorry BUT what do you actually do at settling in sessions, how long does each session last, does the parent stay or do they leave them for 1/2 hour or so ?

TIA

Jen

Post Thanks / Like

You can do anything really depending on what you and the family concerned would prefer. In general I have several 2 to 4 hour sessions with a baby or little one before they start properly. The parents always leave their children for settling in sessions with me and I charge my normal rates. If a parent wants to visit and stay with their child then it's usually for 1 to 2 hours max and I don't charge.
    I don't really think 1/2 hour would be sufficient of a visit for a child to start to get used to you particularly if the child is upset at being left because realistically you haven't got time to get them settled and doing something with them before the parent will have returned.
    Last edited by sillysausage; 10-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally do 2 x 2 hour sessions, I like to have one of these sessions to be over lunchtime. The other session is during free play in the morning where I can get to know the child. I do not charge for these sessions, parents can have extra settling in sessions which will be charged at my normal rate.

These are without the parents present, as I have already met the parents/child and signed contracts etc. This so far seems to have worked well for me.

I have just done the 2 sessions with my new LO, who is 8 months old. I know it is going to be hard to settle him as he is at that seperation anxiety age, but I now know to prepare as much before he arrives as possible, such as snack, lunch etc, as I will have 4 LO's altogether (variation in place).
    Last edited by lozzy23; 10-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.

md0u0131 Guest

Totally depends on the child, I don't have a fixed rule. For the 8month old I had we did 1hr first with Mum, then two afternoons on her own. For a 9yr old after school she just popped round with her Mum when we did contracts and didn't have a session on her own.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I read a great article a while back about stages for settling in. Unfortunately I can't remember them exactly, but it was something like this: have something of interest like a toy or book you know he likes or a puppet maybe. Ask parent to sit with you with the child and ask parent to slowly back away when the child seems comfortable. Not far, stay in the same room, maybe reading a book or something. If the child doesn't like this parent should come back and keep trying until child is comfortable. Next is for parent to go in another room for a few seconds, then come back, for the child to get used to parent leaving, but coming back. Next is for parent to say goodbye (possibly leaving behind a scarf or key for the child to hold on to) and leave for about 15 min, but not far. If the child doesn't settle down after 5 min call parent to come back and go back a step or two. Once the child is happy with parent saying goodbye and leaving or at least settle quickly after, you are done. I usually ask parents before settling in to fill in 'all about me' including favorite toys, games, songs, books etc., so I can hopefully keep the child feeling comfortable and familiar. I also explain this settling in process to the parents before we begin and it has worked very well. It might take several session or you might get through all the stages in one session. I like this way of doing it as there is less risk of separation anxiety later.
    The first few days the new child is with me I do give extra attention to them to get to know them and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think it depends on the child - some settle easier than others.

I don't charge for any settling in sessions but they have to be arranged to suit me - parents come and stay for a few sessions until they (and I) are comfortable then leave the child for a short time, gradually building up the time they are away.

Sometimes I have to put a lot of time and effort in but if the child is then happy being left when mum goes back to work life is much easier for me in the long run.

I also see settling in sessions as time to build up a relationship with the parents and to note child's starting points.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies, I find it so nerve racking lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As a rule I do 2 1hr sessions. The first is really for the mum's benefit as the majority of mine have never left their baby with anyone before. I realise how difficult it is for them to leave their child with someone who is virtually a stranger, so limit the first session to a maximum of an hour. I do tell them to try and leave it that long, but they can come back sooner if they need to. They tend to go back home, have a good cry, time for a quick cuppa, then back again to find their child playing happily

They usually find the second session much easier

I don't routinely offer more sessions, but would suggest them if felt they were necessary.

jan 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default settling in

you do anything really i do a block of 4 but build the time up at each one so on the last one i would have the child for 4 hours usally on a long one we would go to a group the mum stays for a bit on the first one then goes off for a while