Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Struggling to get Mindees

Hiya,

This is a bit of a moany post - sorry.

Long story short, childminding has been a long time coming for me - went to the briefings last December, started the course in Jan and was finished mid March. The registration process took a while but I was finally registered at the end of May.

So a month has gone by and I still haven't signed anyone up

I am not sure what else I can do - I have an account on the childcare website, posted on *****, have delivered leaflets through doors, some local shops have posters - just don't know what else to do.

We are just getting by on my boyfriend's wage, but have been doing so for the last year now.

Not only is the money side of things, but I am desperate to be doing something!!!

Help!!!

Kim xxx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi, my only advice is to keep slogging on!

have adverts everywhere you can, in your car, i have ' childminder ' on the back of my fleece jacket, and always carry business cards in my pockets. tell everyone and anyone what you do! get into conversation in the post office, the supermarket, the coffee shop...

go along to toddler groups ( even if you don't have your own little children ), offer to help with teas & coffees, play with the children, chat to the mums. don't go just once, go for a few weeks, or every other week, so people get to know you/see you.

maybe 'find yourself' at the same place as the baby clinic at the same time? introduce yourself to the local health visitors.

ask your local schools if you can put your contact details/blurb in their news letter, on their notice board. pop along and introduce yourself to the local nuseries/preschools. meet up with other local childminders. make sure your details are correct and on your local FIS site/lists.

google your area & childminder and then add yourself to every free listing that comes up! ( yell, hot frog, viva street )

i had been minding for 7 plus years and was full, with a waiting list ... i moved 260 miles away and had to start from scratch. i knew NO ONE! it took 4 mths to get my first mindee ( for 5 hrs, once a week ) mum was someone i met at toddlers. and i did a bit of respite care over the holidays, then suddenly within about 3 weeks, i was as full as i wanted to be! 15mths on from moving here i have a waiting list and am flat out.

it was horrible though, i hated not having any work and was bored stiff, especially as my children were at school! i can't tell you the number of times i thought i would never get any work and cried to DH and old friends! i even started looking at possible other jobs/careers, which considering i've ONLY ever worked in childcare, which was a scary thought!

you will get there! good luck xxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brilliant advice from LoocyLoo, and I feel your pain

I've been 'twiddling my thumbs' as it were since Dec, I had no enquiries till Feb, when I got two - however the questions didn't add up, didn't want to arrange a visit, turns out it was some other minders in the area checking me out.

I've had 18, yes, 18 enquiries between April and June, and nothing, nada, zilch came of them.
    I've spoken to my DO, she knows how much work I've put in to getting the paperwork side right, she can't understand why I haven't got a waiting list already lol (i hope she meant it and wasn't just being nice lol)

I was seriously beginning to think there was something wrong with me, feedback from the few that bothered to call me back ranged from: too expensive(???!! £4 ph, & competitive day rate available for full days), too far from school, wanted 1 to 1 - suggested a nanny, and didn't want to pay a deposit.

Had a phone call the other day, was fed up of busting a gut to try and win business, so took her details, worked out a price, texted her back with a price - @ her request, and blow me down with a feather, she's now a signed sealed and 4 week deposit paid contract

I'm wondering if I was trying 'too hard' if that makes sense

Keep going, it will happen, and it's true - getting the first one is always the hardest, but most of all, keep believing in yourself

Oh yes, and the little girl's lovely too

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same position only returning from
    Maternity leave. All my mindees were supposed to be coming back but have lost them for various reasons. Was meant to be back after six weeks but my daughter is now over three months and have only had one enquiry (which came to nothing as chose someone closer to home). I go to endless groups but everyone seems to have already sorted childcare. Hope
    Something turns up before September when my maternity ends.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you been messaging people on childcare.co.uk, this is how I got my first 2 clients, I dont think I would of got them if I waited for them to contact me. My local area also has a facebook page just for childminders and we pass enquiries we cant fill onto each other, maybe theres a similar thing in your area? Good luck I'm sure something will come along soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others say, don't give up hope - you will get started!

Sending you lots of positive phone ringing vibes

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Im in the same position. I've been registered since beginning of March and have no mindees at present. I like you delivered leaflets through doors, put posters in local shops, have a poster in my car, I go to toddler groups with my son, have my own website, have made a facebook page, I speak to friends and family and give them some business cards to give out, I try and speak to everyone that I meet. I had my first enquiry about two months ago but it turned out the mother chose to go with family so since then haven't had any enquires. But just this week I have had an enquiry through my facebook page for a 2 year old little boy for about 20 hours a week for 2 days a week (mums a shift worker in a hospital) so they are coming for a visit this saturday. So hopefully somethings comes of it as we are to living off my partners wage and with a little one it is hard but we 'get by' even though I jst don't want to 'get by'. I need to be earning my own money.

Just keep going as everyone on here has said. I keep updating my website, my childcare.co.uk profile, my DIS page etc. You will eventually get mindees it just takes longer than expected unfortunately.

Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also finding it hard to get mindees - will keep trying and hopefully something will come along soon. Good luck to everyone else out there

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im still not full and have been registered since October 2011.
    Only got children 2 days a week and one of those have given notice this morning (granny going to be looking after to save them money!). Ive sent over 200 messages on childcare.co.uk and only had about 12 replies, nothing through FIS or childminding groups, tried putting notices in shops, offices, hospital, GP, playgroups, soft play etc - no luck.

Just got to keep plugging away I suppose.

md0u0131 Guest

The thing that gets me the most phone calls is my website. People tend to google "childminder area" so if you can get near the top on google you're onto a winner.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Keep it going, you will eventually get there. It sometimes takes a while but you will get ther. Ther are always quiet moments for childminders but it will turn around.

I would try visiting your local play and stays, mums and tots etc and put your business cards up. I also met parents at the school gates and gave out my business cards.

Keep your chin up, you'll get it