Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Register now or do cypop5 first?

I have had my pre briefing session and we were told we have to compete the cypop5 course before we could apply to ofsted, however I have done an ICP course years ago so the woman said I could apply prior to doing the course. Think my question is do you think your better prepared after doing the course? How long after applying is the first ofsted visit? Also if I do an online course with mnt what additional resources do I need? Books to buy etc. thanks

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done the classroom based course and can honestly say that I haven't learned anything there that this forum hadn't already taught me

Just to add, I would personally apply first. I beleive the lead time from applying to registration is around two months-ish, so you could rattle through the course while you are waiting. Two months is a long time!

My DO claims that the lead time is currently two weeks, mind you, so having posted my forms this week I might be in for an almightly shock, but I doubt it
    Last edited by LauraS; 10-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess im worried incase they turn up too soon and im not ready as the lady at the council said they would be straight out once the application has gone in but during the briefing they stated it would take about 12 weeks and it was likely to be the latter end!

My mind has gone totally blank now that i am doing it all again as i never got the application process last time i thought about childminding for various reasons. I had all my paperwork forms and info on my hard drive but it was lost in the move here 5 months ago :-(

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just doing the cypop5 with mnt, you aren't required to buy anything else but after some advice, I have bought Home-based childcare by Sheila Riddall-Leech and it's really helping. By the way I just got my certificate this week and it took 9 weeks hth. xx

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worthwhile buying some of the resources already done from eBay for example paperwork policies etc or better to do them yourself?

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately do them yourself, you have to sign a disclaimer to say it's all your own work! It's quite challenging but I'm sure you'll be okay, I'm finding it's just time comsuming finding all the right info more than anything else. xx

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I would register first, as that is what I done and I am now doing the CYPOP5 course (free through local council) and find the information I got from my training is coming in helpful, you could start the cyopo5 course now then add to it as you go along with the training.

From sending my forms off to Ofsted to being inspected it took 3 weeks and I had a medical in this time as well, she will ring one day and will suggest to come out the next but if you are not happy then delay it, but to be honest it is a pre reg inspection not a full inspection so nothing to worry about, go through the pre reg inspection booklet and answer the questions because that is what she asks.

I got all my paperwork from the Bromley council website, brilliant, then tweaked it for my home.

Good luck and don't worry

Angela

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dillydally View Post
    Is it worthwhile buying some of the resources already done from eBay for example paperwork policies etc or better to do them yourself?
    Hiya, please don't buy your policies from Ebay - they will be somebody else's policies and won't be relevant to your setting. Unfortunately you need to write these yourself, but as someone else mentioned Bromley CM is a great site to get you started if you struggle with wording some. Just don't copy them, your course tutor is well aware of BCM and will spot it straight away!