Decided I am going to register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Decided I am going to register

I am currently working in a nursery, 4 days a week. My neighbour had a baby in november and I approached her and said I was thinking of becoming a childminder. She is desperately wanting me to have the baby but I wasnt sure, until today when I have just thought, yes this is what I want to do and I am going to register and hopefully have her 2 days a week I will give up the nursery 2 days a week. Just so worried my boss will be funny with me!

I have to make the right decision for me and my family.

I have printed off the regisration documents and am about to fill them in, guess this is the first step

Also I currently earn £50 per day at work and ant be out of pocket from childminding. I was going to charge either £50 per day, 9am til 6pm and her brother for 3 hours on top of that at 4.50 per hour.

Or do I charge a flat rate of £4.50 per hour all day? She was going to put the baby into a day nursery which charges nearly £50 per day.

Any way many thanks

Penny1959 Guest

I hope all works out for you

I would advise finding out how much local childminders charge because although this mum might be happy to pay £50 per day - to be sustainable you need to be priced competively.

Also you need to bear in mind that those using a nursery get childcare all year round - most childminders close for their annual holiday or if they are ill.

So you need to decide if you will charge for these times - if you don't your income over the year will be reduced - and if you do the mum may end up paying more if she has to pay for childcare when you are closed.

Lots to think about

Penny

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, My only real advice is...not to expect to make lots of money to start with. Ive currently been out of work for 7 months while going through the registration process and I do have 4 mindees starting after easter hols but its not the type of job where you can guarentee a regular wage. I hope everything goes the way you'd like and wish you well. x
    If all else fails......add glitter!