Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contract terminated before even started :-(

hello,
    Please if anybody knows...

I have signed contract on 2nd of March 2012 for a 5mths child but there was a mention that contract starts on 2nd of April 2012.

however i had that child on settling in session on 20th of March for 3 hours and even then mother assusured me that she will stay with me for at least a year...
    and next day i have received a letter from her that they thank me and i was wonderful but they have got difficult financial situation and will no longer need my service :-/

I know I should get a deposit from them, but it was my second contract and full time and i was naive ...

I was thinking that they should still pay me for 3weeks of April if I claim my 4weeks period notice?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends what you wrote in the contract. If you had a four week settling in periOd then usually either party can terminate the contract within that period without notice.

As you say it would have been better if you'd had a deposit up front that was non refundable if place wasn't taken up but we've all made mistakes and you will know for next time.

Sadly you're probably better to cut your losses on this one.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your reply...
    no there was no mention about settling in in the contract at all as they said they will need to think about it more and then we arranged it over a phone ...
    it is so depressing...:-(

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are within a settling in period the parents or you can usually end the contract without giving notice.

What did you put as the contract start date? I'd say it's unlikely you'll be able to get anything from the parents, but you should phone your insurance company for advice.

Do you know if parents were planning to claim tax credits to help pay their childcare? If they were I would write to them telling them that it is now their responsibility to inform tax credits that they are no longer going to be claiming. Some parents 'forget' to cancel their claim and carry on receiving money even though they shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Do you know if parents were planning to claim tax credits to help pay their childcare? If they were I would write to them telling them that it is now their responsibility to inform tax credits that they are no longer going to be claiming. Some parents 'forget' to cancel their claim and carry on receiving money even though they shouldn't.
    if you suspect that they used you just to get your details so they could claim tax credits then you could notify tax credits yourself.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a big grey area with contracts hon. because you've signed contracts , I would say notice applies but if contract has a start date which has not come into effect yet it could be argued that no notice applies this is why the deposits are so important.

I would speak to MM or NCMA depending on who you are with .

sorry this has happened.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like they just wanted your details for tax credits.