Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nifty Ideas.

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nifty Ideas.

I have only been minding since August and just starting to look at random things and get ideas for crafts or activities.

Cadbury Mini Rolls, the 10 pack, has a handy little box with the Mini Rolls in that I thought would make a nifty little easter basket, get the kids to cover it in felt, give it a handle and decorate it with eggs, bunnies, chicks etc.

Also the PG Tips 80 tea bags box. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom so you hand can fit through and making some sort of a pop up puppet!

What other house hold objects can you/have you used at make something totally different? Like I said I am fairly new to this, so these are the first times I have thought outside the box!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Last week I made this posting activity with a peanut butter jar - kids love it (far more than I thought they would)

http://www.rainbowplayhouse.blogspot.co.uk/

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

goodness, my mind has gone blank, but i re-use everything and anything! its drives Dh potty as i have a huge box in the garage that i put anything useful into! (when it gets too full, i have a sort out and take lots of it to school for their junk boxes )

the muller corner yogurts make good puppet faces, use clear plastic bottles for discovery bottles/skittles/shakers/water play, i keep any paper or plastic trays/boxes to put bits and pieces in for craft activities. old chocolate box insides for sorting/playdough. cereal boxes are great for building towers, small worlds with added creatures & people.

have fun

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

egg boxes are just HEAVEN!!! you do a bit of EVERYTHING with them. i did caterpillar with babies.. great

with milk bottle you cut just under the handleand presto you have an elephant!!! we did Elmer the elephant by cutting little square of different colour and stick it on him....might actually do it again soon new kids now...

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a load of kitchen roll inners that Ive kept any ideas ?

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chez View Post
    Mr blooms nursery told me to put them in the veg garden when planting carrots! stops them growing in funny twists etc
    I thought I was organised till I started Minding

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chez View Post
    we put some see through paper with an elastic band and made a telescope and read "there's a shark in the park" and we look through different colour...

sep2001
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CSSIW
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

we decorate the kitchen rolls by painting, colouring etc. I make a few holes and hang shapes/pictures anything from them to make a mobile.
    Sellotaped together to make binoculars.
    Cut out a big flower head and made them into sunflowers.
    Just give to the children with other bits from the recycling box and see what the children make, usually swords

Gu dessert bowls - used these for mothers day. mixed coloured sand with pva, put in gu bowl. 'Plant' some pipe cleaners and leave to dry. add some cut out flowers = bowl of flowers

yogurt pots for planting seeds, paint pots,glue pots.

Squash bottles dries out, decorated with stickers and made into shakers.

cant think of any more at the mo

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Pringles containers make great shakers - fill with rice, pulses etc, then paint, decorate as required.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gegele View Post
    egg boxes are just HEAVEN!!! you do a bit of EVERYTHING with them. i did caterpillar with babies.. great
    We used cut up egg cartons last week to make flowers for mother's day! I used some left overs to make some 'blossoms' for our playroom tree.

Love the idea for kitchen roll binoculars! We're doing a loose 'bird' theme at the moment - binoculars would be perfect!