Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stress with sand pits

Is it just me or does anybody else get really stressed out when the children play in the sand pit?

Obviously there has to be rules about sharing and not throwing sand. I hate it when the children just take the sand out and empty it out all over the garden. It's not that I don't want sand on the grass but more the fact that the bags are so heavy and if they are just gonna tip it out I feel like not bothering.

It's a really silly petty thing to get so stressed out over I know but I can't seem to help it. I want them to have sand as I know how much they love it. I'm going to REALLY make a big effort to grin and bear it.

Does anybody else have anything like this that really annoys them whether it be sand or whatever?
    Donna

oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stress with sand pits

B***dy stones. Well gravel really is my bug bear we have it all round the edge of our house thanx to the builders and all the kids do is dig in it and kick it around. Now i dont mind diggin in it but wen they kick it and throw it and put it all over the grasss i feel myself boiling as its me that has to clear it so it doesnt mess up the lawn mower!!!!!
    No matter how many times u tell em they just kweep goin back to it.
    One mindee picked some up and threw it at his dad 2nite I didnt no where to put myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hey....who said that......show ur self......i no u r there.......I CAN HEAR U!!!!!!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do! I've put a thread on before about how stressed I get during arts and crafts and play dough!

I just can't relax and feel like I nag all the time because I don't want a mess - especially a mess that can't be put right! I get really stressed out!

I can totally sympathise!

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, if the sun was shining, I was floating in the pool with a nice cold malibu and orange and getting an even tan, then I wouldn't care what the mindees did with the sand!
    But, what usually happens is... we dash outside whilst its not pouring with rain, the kids tip the sand all over the patio, grass, rabbit and dog, eat some of it, then we go inside and I spend the rest of the day shaking the stuff out of socks, nappies dog fur and cleaning the floor!

Sand is stressful....unless you're p ed

Jinx x
    X JINX X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not good with paint... especially hand painting when they decide to get it on my walls / floor / chairs etc...

Sand... I just have a very small sand tray (cat litter size) and if they start to mess about it goes away

jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i quite like sand pits but hate it when i find insects in it - even after its been covered - think they hide in there in day to annoy me.

helen

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I was wondering if it was just me - but obviously not.

Jinx I love the idea of floating in the pool with a malibu and orange - can it be somewhere a million miles away, preferably with a nice fit waiter serving the drink - and NO sand in sight.
    Donna

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly have my sandpit inside on our cream carpet (not so cream now after painting, play dough etc!)
    Parents think I'm mad, hubby turns a blind eye. I'm like one of the kids!!!!!

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats sorted then Helen - my mindees are coming straight round to yours - i'll be in the pool with Jinx drinking.
    Donna

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My big sand pit only gets used by the older ones during the school holidays and I have had them all long enough for them to know I cant be doing with it all over the place and the lid goes on straight away. The little ones have Sarah's idea of a cat litter tray in the garden table which I stole from her (she should patent that idea ) and so there is not too much to clear but it still gets everywhere. William took a huge mouthful from a spade the other day - why do they do that He was crunching sand for ages after.
    Annie x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jo f View Post
    I mostly have my sandpit inside on our cream carpet (not so cream now after painting, play dough etc!)
    Parents think I'm mad, hubby turns a blind eye. I'm like one of the kids!!!!!

Inside? On a cream carpet????

I can only just manage outside - on the patio

miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post

Sand... I just have a very small sand tray (cat litter size) and if they start to mess about it goes away

miffy xx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnahay0 View Post
    Is it just me or does anybody else get really stressed out when the children play in the sand pit?

Obviously there has to be rules about sharing and not throwing sand. I hate it when the children just take the sand out and empty it out all over the garden. It's not that I don't want sand on the grass but more the fact that the bags are so heavy and if they are just gonna tip it out I feel like not bothering.

It's a really silly petty thing to get so stressed out over I know but I can't seem to help it. I want them to have sand as I know how much they love it. I'm going to REALLY make a big effort to grin and bear it.

Does anybody else have anything like this that really annoys them whether it be sand or whatever?

it's definately notjust you i hate it when they pour it onto the garden or fill the legs of the sandpit up.

i made 2 loads of rainbow rice to put into the dry water table half an hour later my garden was littered with blue and red rice and there was none left in the table

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I sorted out the problem of kids filling the legs up with sand. Got hubbie to cover the holes - he simply cut out some card circles and placed them inside the hold then filled it with silicone sealant - worked a treat.

Don't know why they had to have holes in the legs - stupid idea if you ask me.
    Donna

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnahay0 View Post
    I sorted out the problem of kids filling the legs up with sand. Got hubbie to cover the holes - he simply cut out some card circles and placed them inside the hold then filled it with silicone sealant - worked a treat.

Don't know why they had to have holes in the legs - stupid idea if you ask me.
    thanks i don't know why i didn't think of that
    i am off to buy some sealant tomorrow as well as new sand

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a big tray of oats and another one of rainbow rice and i reall had to bite my tongue when they started to mix them together I had to say to myself "stop being so preciuos about the rainbow rice , they are having fun mixing it " lol . But the rice was sooooo pretty ......

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this will be a silly question but what is rainbow rice

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by polobear1970 View Post
    I know this will be a silly question but what is rainbow rice
    Put a handful of rice in 4 or 5 containers (ones you can throw away)...

Add a few drops of food colouring and enough water to mix it to each...

When dry, you have different coloured rice... rainbow rice!

My lot love mixing the colours up and making swirly pictures

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive taken my sandpit away as I was fed up with it being trailed all through the house everyday and also the amount of beasties that seem to live in it gave me the heeby jeebies.

Must say that the kids dont really miss it and least theres no more sand fights
    Fiona xx

Feb 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had two sand pits since I started minding, one plastic with a lid, on the patio but I got stressed out having to keep brushing it up. Then I decided it would be a great idea to turn one of my flower beds into a sand pit. Bad idea I think the whole insect kingdom decided to visit so no one would use it . Just recently bought a sand/water table from Agros for £15, my little ones love playing with the water but I haven't gotten round to buying more sand!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast