Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Non childminder member
    I AM a childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Nurseries are more stimulating than childminders - OFSTED

censored: Just seen this, I'm sure we all have something to say about it!

http://www.*****.com/coffeehouse/g...ml#post6938144
    Last edited by Cariad; 23-11-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: to edit link

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder where the extract came from and in what context it was written? It's obviously been posted to get a reaction

Pipsqueak Guest

Where does the rating of 'excellent' come into Ofsted - never heard of that grading for us!!

Its a crock of poop anyway

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    Wonder where the extract came from and in what context it was written? It's obviously been posted to get a reaction
    OFSTED released their annual report 2010/11 on the 22nd November. I have tried to look on google about it, and can only find the Times article about it. Been trying to attach a link to it, but my computer at work has gone mad. Will keep trying.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/news/raisin...-education-chi

You need to click on one of the links at the bottom of this page.
    Last edited by lolli_pop243; 23-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh...I hate statistics...lol

Looks like an uproar waiting to happen
    Last edited by JCrakers; 23-11-2011 at 02:44 PM.

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

The link only takes me to the 'suscribe' page, wont let me read any article
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post

Now why doesnt that suprise me, I dont go on ***** much once in a blue moon, but from the few post I have read there are quite a few who do seem to dislike childminders over there.
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to ofsted home page, sub heading about us, the full report book is there, down load the early years childrens centres section and the whole page is there.

Penny1959 Guest

Havenot found report yet but this is the link to the 2010 - 2011 sats

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/o...s-and-outcomes

Penny

Penny1959 Guest

Try this for link to report
    http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/annualreport1011

Not read yet!

Penny

Pipsqueak Guest

Penny - this is where NCMA NEED to come out with guns blazing and defend us and reeducate not just the public but ***** and even Ofsted.

Its appalling that our representative body does NOTHING to step in publicly and in a big way to defend us. This is what gets my back up about NCMA.... they SAY they represent us and they do in many ways but this sort of situation is equally important.

Perhaps we should all email NCMA customer support and request that they start defending us....... standing together we can make NCMA hear us surely

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pip have you read the Report? I don't think it is actually anything like as negative as ***** would have us believe. Let ***** shoot themselves in the foot for the biased Forum they are. We are bigger than them.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Pip have you read the Report? I don't think it is actually anything like as negative as ***** would have us believe. Let ***** shoot themselves in the foot for the biased Forum they are. We are bigger than them.
    yes I have read it and I agree, its not as cut and dried. I still think this is where NCMA need to be getting the information out there to counteract negativity like this though - basically sell us not allow us to be sold short.

***** a biased forum... never!!! lol I still think they have great entertainment value just purely for the windup merchant i often can be I love reading the frankly 'odd' views because it makes me feel better about myself a lot of the time lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just been and checked ***** and found this refreshing post so I thought I would copy it on here.

speaking as an experienced nursery teacher and nursery inspector, it is impossible to respond to the individual needs that an under three has in the group situation of a nursery. you may think the ratios are good, but by the time breakks, housekeeping chores, paperwork and staff sickness are taken in to account the ratios are not good. consistency of career and meeting individual needs are the most important things, and due to long working hours and low pay there is often a high staff turn over in nurseries. every study i am aware of points to the fact that nursery care for the under threes is not good for their social, emotional or language development. obviously the government wants us to place our children in institutions so these studies are not well published.

A good friend of mine, secondary head, ofsted inspector of many years, and sitting on various high level eucation comitees trained as a nursery inspector to widen his understanding of eduacation. he was so horrified by what he found he refused to inspect nurseries.

Makes interesting reading.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with statements like this is that a good percent of parents that read it will take it on board and believe it

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But that statement is actually in favour of Childminders for the under threes isn't that good?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But that statement is actually in favour of Childminders for the under threes isn't that good?
    Sorry, I meant the statement that was started at the top. I think by the time I had wrote my bit, you had posted your post.

Was watchin tv whilst typing so a bit slow

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just been and checked ***** and found this refreshing post so I thought I would copy it on here.

speaking as an experienced nursery teacher and nursery inspector, it is impossible to respond to the individual needs that an under three has in the group situation of a nursery. you may think the ratios are good, but by the time breakks, housekeeping chores, paperwork and staff sickness are taken in to account the ratios are not good. consistency of career and meeting individual needs are the most important things, and due to long working hours and low pay there is often a high staff turn over in nurseries. every study i am aware of points to the fact that nursery care for the under threes is not good for their social, emotional or language development. obviously the government wants us to place our children in institutions so these studies are not well published.

A good friend of mine, secondary head, ofsted inspector of many years, and sitting on various high level eucation comitees trained as a nursery inspector to widen his understanding of eduacation. he was so horrified by what he found he refused to inspect nurseries.

Makes interesting reading.
    Very refreshing

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[SIZE="5"]Ok, email has been sent straight to the public affairs officer at NCMA and Mick will back this with a phone call tomorrow morning. Mind you I think the phone may ring here first [/SIZE]

Penny1959 Guest

Pipsqueak - yes you are right NCMA need to respond - they will but it will be a nice little press statement.

I have actually now had response from various people at NCMA - whichh show they are taking things members say more seriously - ie with reguard to things I have hightlighted to them (will post about this elsewhere later)

Playmate / Blueboy - go for it - I will follow uo this with my own email as I think more than one person telling them has more impact

AND NCMA members - do email them on feedback@************* - the more members who tell them they are a) aware of this and b) wanting NCMA to do something about it - the more they have to take notice. (Mention my name if you want to and the posts on here - as I have told them that forums like this are the way to get information passed on)

Rickysmiths - very refreshing comments that you copied from ***** - trouble is I think is that some only remember the negative remarks.

Non NCMA members - post back on *****.

Plus (sorry I can't help mentioning it) MM will do nothing about this (they are a good insurance company but they are not a member led organisation ) and although NCMA do need a kick up the backside to respond quicker and more effectively - they do respond and their press release although won't help with comments on ***** - it will be picked up by the press and put the positive side of things (as mentioned in Ofsted report). Just ask yourselves if others were not members of NCMA (and therefore there was not an NCMA) just who would speak up for childminders at all? Remember you can keep your insurance with MMbut can also be a member of NCMA - you don't have to have your insurance with NCMA. And at about £1.30 per week for membership - I would say that is a small price to pay to be a member of an organisation that does represent it members (and with the revised EYFS, changes with Ofsted - again, LA now facing round 2 of budget cuts - now is a very good time to become a member and to actively support NCMA in speaking up for us) Sorry I know I am on my soap box - but it seems to me from my reseach questionnaire that many are not happy with NCMA because of the insurance side of things - and that everyone needs to consider the work NCMA does in speaking on members behalf within government - £1.30 a week is not much

Penny
    Last edited by Penny1959; 24-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast