Need Advice Re: Child Collections
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    VINASOL Guest

Default Need Advice Re: Child Collections

A 'friend' at my son's school has asked me to mind her 7 (nearly 8) year old son twice a week after school and one or two full days during half term.

She has asked me because for the first time in 17 years she is working...she is a single parent with a disabled child (in care - but cares for every 2nd weekend) and two boys....one aged 15 and one above...now she wants 15yr old to drop off and collect son (he does this at school too), so I'm wondering what sort of permission form I might need, if any?

It's only a short-term contract and I really want to help her out (she's currently studying for a degree as well).

Anyone got some suggestions?

BuggsieMoo Guest

I personally thought you could not allow the child to go with someone under the age of 18 - I could be wrong though and I am sure someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

D email ofsted and insurance company for guidance

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    D email ofsted and insurance company for guidance
    As above, I'd firstly find out if you're allowed to release a child to a sibling of this age.

I know some minders wouldn't be happy for this regardless of what the above say, but at the end of the day all children are different and some are more sensible than others and if Mum is happy for the arrangement then who are we to undermine that (unless we feel the child is at risk).

An older sibling sometimes has maturity far beyond their years for various reasons.

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMHALL View Post
    I personally thought you could not allow the child to go with someone under the age of 18 - I could be wrong though and I am sure someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction.
    You are legally allowed to 'Babysit' for family members form the age of 14.
    This also means taking them out and about.

I would just add then to the section which says about who is allowed to collect and pick up. As long as mun signs it it will be fine its no different than an adult doing it really. x
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?