Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you have an "ethos"?

I'm planningto go along a "natural" route (coulda guessed that probably lol)

Cloth nappies, organic vegetarian food, outdoor time as often as possible etc

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

my own parenting style is natural route - I am a BW, cloth nappy, Breastfeeding mummy...as a childminder I support all parents (cloth and disposable, BF and formula, etc.)

I strongly beleive that outdoor play in all weathers is paramount to happy kids.
    I home cook everything from scratch, talk to children without using a baby voice and ask lots of questions from them to guage what they want to do - I beleive in free play, letting kids lead and I also beleive in firm straight forward and clear and simple boundaries. I treat all children ith respect and ask the same in return towards me and each other.I beleive in fairness. Most of my parents are ike me in this respect - the other stuff is just semantics.
    Last edited by uf353432; 10-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a very outdoorsy setting. I always warn parents that their children will get grubby here as we believe in letting them explore the natural environment.

We also believe in good home cooked food and are at the moment looking at ways to reduce our use of chemicals in cleaning products.

So basically - good food - fresh air and exercise. And the freedom to just be kids !

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    We have a very outdoorsy setting. I always warn parents that their children will get grubby here as we believe in letting them explore the natural environment.

We also believe in good home cooked food and are at the moment looking at ways to reduce our use of chemicals in cleaning products.

So basically - good food - fresh air and exercise. And the freedom to just be kids !
    Sound good!

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Twinkles there is very little that cannot be cleaned using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda or just good old washing up liquid.

For cleaning the floors, a steam mop uses just water (although if you're going down an eco-route then you need to consider the electricty usage, although that may balance out against the gas you'd use heating up water for a conventional mop bucket!).

I try to avoid using chemicals if I can - one immediate plus point of not having them around means that little hands can't get to them!

Post Thanks / Like

Twinkles there is very little that cannot be cleaned using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda or just good old washing up liquid.

For cleaning the floors, a steam mop uses just water (although if you're going down an eco-route then you need to consider the electricty usage, although that may balance out against the gas you'd use heating up water for a conventional mop bucket!).
    we use vinegar and bicarb too Mixing tea tree or lavender oil with water makes a good anti-bac spray and orange oil cleans up grease off the hob.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helen79 View Post
    we use vinegar and bicarb too Mixing tea tree or lavender oil with water makes a good anti-bac spray and orange oil cleans up grease off the hob.

I assume the tea tree and lavender oil spray is good for cleaning toys but what do you use for cleaning things like changing mats where there will be lots of germs?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flisspaps View Post

I try to avoid using chemicals if I can - one immediate plus point of not having them around means that little hands can't get to them!
    I use tescos own natural cleaning range for most things.
    Vinegar with essential oils like tea tree (antibacterial) works well too!
    I MUST get a steammop! Why oh why have I never thought about it before?? Kitchen and playroom are tiled, as is the entrance hallway and they get mucky so often. *thankyou* for reminding me!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    I assume the tea tree and lavender oil spray is good for cleaning toys but what do you use for cleaning things like changing mats where there will be lots of germs?
    Clean it down with HOT water once a day which kills germs too, along with tea tree that should be fine.
    Also, you could use a small towel for each child and place it on the mat before using it?
    You could search online for ready made natural antibacterial sprays.
    I found a natural antibacterial hand sanitised just a couple of weeks ago, which I use when out and about.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nature'sKids! View Post
    I use tescos own natural cleaning range for most things.
    Vinegar with essential oils like tea tree (antibacterial) works well too!
    I MUST get a steammop! Why oh why have I never thought about it before?? Kitchen and playroom are tiled, as is the entrance hallway and they get mucky so often. *thankyou* for reminding me!
    Thanks for that. Will try the tea tree oil spray.

A steam mop is on my wish list !

Can you please put up a link for the hand sanitiser ? This is something I use all the time and would love a more natural one.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you please put up a link for the hand sanitiser ? This is something I use all the time and would love a more natural one.
    I think Holland and Barrat sell one. Here's a recipe I've got for one, I've never tried it though
    250ml of Aloe Vera Gel
    5-10ml of Witch Hazel Hydrolat
    3-4 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
    3-4 drops of Peppermint essential oil

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    Lavender, Tea Tree and White Vinegar are all natural anti-bacterial agents.

You don't need to use harsh, expensive cleaning products, despite what the big anti-bac manufacturers would have you believe. Anyway, as NaturesKids says, a good wash with hot soapy water is enough to kill germs and it gets any actual dirt off as well (whereas anti-bac just kills germs, it doesn't remove dirt)

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Thanks for that. Will try the tea tree oil spray.

A steam mop is on my wish list !

Its called quash and it's a spray, I bought it online

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for sharing all these lovely environmentally friendly ideas, they would probably be good for those with allergies too?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watgem View Post
    thank you for sharing all these lovely environmentally friendly ideas, they would probably be good for those with allergies too?
    It was my sons allergies that made me make the move away from chemicals - everything from creams, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, ... To toilet cleaner is natural based
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try and switch, my kids and hubby have asthma and spray cleaners set poor hubby off, so have been looking on different websites for ideas as well, thank you everyone for sharing.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yes

1 to stay sane and not hit the bottle before all of the mindees have gone home.

2 not swear until the above happens

3 not kill anyone

those are my ethosessssesssssseeesssssss or is that ethi?

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watgem View Post
    I'm going to try and switch, my kids and hubby have asthma and spray cleaners set poor hubby off, so have been looking on different websites for ideas as well, thank you everyone for sharing.
    If you have any questions or need anadvice (ds has asthma too) pm me
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Natural

Hi,

If you're looking to use less chemicals and go the natural route which I did about a year ago you could check out my Facebook page where I sell Aloe Vera and Bee Products. One new product that has just been realised is a Hand sanitizer which doesn't dry your hands or smell of chemicals. I am also running a competition at the moment to win an aluminium free deodorant.

juliesaloe

Forgot to say that Forum members get 15% discount
    Last edited by juelmer; 27-02-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add discount

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a steam mop but it broke and I never replaced it because my mum said 'well where does the dirt go, surley it just gets pushed around the floor' and i can see her point as with a n ormal mop you rinse it in the buckent so I have gone back to mop and buckett with bleach but please somoone convince me the steam mop is more hygenic!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast