trying to do too much all at once ....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    time_4_change Guest

Default trying to do too much all at once ....

Hi

Ok I don' know where to start .... i am in a panic

I have recently started advertising, waiting for the phone to ring.

I am waiting for a friend from surestart to come and look through my policies (2nd pair of eyes has this is all very new to me). Once that is done I can then make my welcome packs. I need to read through my NCMA pack. Do a website. Want to read sfbb and also eyfs again.
    I haven't even thought about planning or SEF yet. I haven't done my outings RA (i was going to do this once I have mindees ?? and know where the ouings will be)
    I have a few bits to sort around the house too.

I have just been made redundant from my current job and working my notice ... I now need to jobcentre to find out what happens next and look for another job to put me on until i get some mindees.

I am feeling like I am trying to do everything at once! I want to do well at childminding but think i am maybe putting too much pressure on myself to make it 'perfect'.

I am just hoping that once i get going i will all start making more sense

Sorry this post is more of a rant

Leanne

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound like you've got most of it under control already. You can't really think about your SEF until you have some practice to evaluate, so carry on not thinking about that.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with 'singingcactus' you seem to have it pretty much under control already

I live my life through lists so I can prioritise things better, and because generally, when I'm doing one task something else related to another pops up/comes to light so if I don't write it down, I'll forget

I also make a timetable for the day to help keep me on track so looking at yours I'd probably have 2 lists, one for the jobs around the house, and the other related to minding tasks

What is perfection? What's perfect for you, won't necessarily be perfect for someone else iyswim, so take some of the pressure off yourself first by accepting there will always be room for improvement and those improvements will happen once minding actually starts - and of course will go on your SEF

I do understand where you're coming from, there's so much to do and read up on and take on board and breathe.......

Good luck x

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound like you're very organised!

When I started out I made 3 lists -

1. Things I had to do before starting
    2. Things I had to do when I started
    3. Things that would be nice to do at some point.

I then put list 3 away! List 2 I kept out to look at occasionally so I was prepared, but I focussed on list 1.

Like the others have said, you don't need to think about list SEF yet. It's a good idea to look at the EYFS but I feel from my experience that it won't really sink in until you're actually doing it, so don't worry too much about getting your head around it - it will all make sense once you're actually working and doing your observations.

I also did a website but don't think I'd bother again because I've had no business through it. Most of my business has come through ***** and childcare.co.uk so get yourself on those!

My list 3 is still ongoing - I don't think you'll ever get it perfect, because you'll always be looking to improve your setting and your service and that is what will make you a great childminder!

Good luck, hope you start getting calls soon!

time_4_change Guest

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I am going to list everything properly at the weekend and concentrate on the things that my business needs NOW.

also ... had my first enquiry for 2 full timers ... everything crossed x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice adn sounds like you've thought about loads of stuff. your friend from Surestart will be able to advise even more. I would crack on with some core RA's for your home and outings hon. the last thing you want when mindees start is to have to worry about these - you'll want to concentrate on the contacts, permission forms and learning journey's.

I'd advise get these done whilst you are waiting good luck
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got