Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I should become a cleaner...

A lady down the road from me has just pushed a flyer through my door advertising her services as a cleaner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in the same position, just setting up in business on my own etc etc, but I couldn't believe the prices she is charging. Get this.....£9.50 for a basic one hour clean!!!!
    Where is the justice in charging this amount of money for a service? Mind you, if I could whizz round the whole of my house in an hour I would be laughing.
    It just does not seem fair that we are doing the job we do, which I think is pretty damn important and being paid peanuts and with just as little recognition too. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I used to pay my cleaner £10 per hour .
    It's madness I agree.

xxxx

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

£10-£13 per hour for cleaners here....the world is mad!
    Blaze x

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I got paid more per hour (than I charge per child) working on a supermarket till in my first job. I guess having a cleaner is a luxury so if someone is willing to pay it not to have to do it themselves they will charge it! My mother in law cares for the elderly and works long shifts/nights 6 days a week just to get the bills paid!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Yep I used to pay my cleaner £10 per hour .
    It's madness I agree.

xxxx
    Unless the cleaner has over 10hrs of work lined up each day, then in the end they don't earn much more than we do.

But yes, it is annoying that people don't mind paying that much for a cleaner, but it's never for more than a few hours a week, whereas we have to work longer hours for a smaller rate.

Nothings gone wrong, longer hours usually means lower pay rate. Now I would love to be a lawyer, imagine charging £100 for for one hour of your time.
    And what about football players, kicking a football around and getting paid ££££'s to do it, skill or no skill it's disgusting

P.s I don't like football, sorry to all the football fans out there
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes that £9 per hour for a cleaner is good money but only if that cleaner has enough work.

Some days I have 3 children all here at the same time so I could be earning £12 per hour. They are usually here for good 8 hours all at the same time. So in theory I am earning more than that cleaner.

I woudnt want to be a cleaner anyway. Can't stand cleaning my own house let alone some other persons house.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I've told you before but a childminder friend of mine used to look after a little girl for a few hours each week so her mum could get on and clean the house. She said it was cheaper than employing a cleaner

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I'm sure I've told you before but a childminder friend of mine used to look after a little girl for a few hours each week so her mum could get on and clean the house. She said it was cheaper than employing a cleaner
    I used to look after a 2yr old so Mum could clean. He came for 5hrs and it cost her £15 so cheaper than a couple of hours for a cleaner. In that time she also went shopping and did bits for herself too.....Bargain

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If we were paid any more then there would be no point whatsover in mum's going to work as they would be left with nothing at the end of the month. Especially the ones who don't get any tax credits!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyMia View Post
    If we were paid any more then there would be no point whatsover in mum's going to work as they would be left with nothing at the end of the month. Especially the ones who don't get any tax credits!

Ergo, we will always be paid less than cleaners and have to work longer hours

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame isn't it....but just the way it works. I have actually thought about becoming a cleaner myself!!!

When I was a nanny I was paid £7 per hour net, which if I remember correctly was around £8.30 per hour gross. My boss paid her cleaner £10 per hour. Obviously that amounts to less than she paid me overall.....but the cleaner would do 2 houses a day, 5 days a week, about 3 hours at each house- that makes £300 a week-i'd be happy with that!

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was full and working full time I employed a cleaner for an hour a week at £10ph, however, now I've only just got 1 child on some days at £3.50ph I've got rid of the cleaner as I can't justify paying her.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you lot are not jealous of the cleaners tut tut

onceinabluemoon Guest

I think you are crazy being envious! lol...

I used to clean my neighbours house. Her children used to plaster poop all over the loo wall, the loo, the floor etc and it was my job to clean it all off! She used to leave a foul stew of rotting veg in the salad box, her guinea pigs (in the lounge) used to spew pooped on and peed on sawdust all over the place. Goodness knows what crud her kiddies had stuck all over the floors in their bedroom but it stuck to high Heaven and was brown and squishy... Every week I would leave and it would be spotless, every week I'd go back and it would be beyond filthy again. To put it simply, they did nothing themselves!

I would never do that job again, not even for a tenner an hour. I'd rather pay with 3 beautiful children to earn my tenner than clean another family's poop off the walls any day...

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post

I used to clean my neighbours house. Her children used to plaster poop all over the loo wall, the loo, the floor etc and it was my job to clean it all off! She used to leave a foul stew of rotting veg in the salad box, her guinea pigs (in the lounge) used to spew pooped on and peed on sawdust all over the place. Goodness knows what crud her kiddies had stuck all over the floors in their bedroom but it stuck to high Heaven and was brown and squishy... Every week I would leave and it would be spotless, every week I'd go back and it would be beyond filthy again. To put it simply, they did nothing themselves!

I would never do that job again, not even for a tenner an hour. I'd rather pay with 3 beautiful children to earn my tenner than clean another family's poop off the walls any day...

Wow, that is extreme. I could never get a cleaner in as I would have to 'clean' the house before the cleaner came

Post Thanks / Like

You must have a strong stomach to do that!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

onceinabluemoon Guest

I needed the money, my husband had just left us with absolutely nothing...

Post Thanks / Like

I needed the money, my husband had just left us with absolutely nothing...
    Sorry, no offence intended - I am just so squeamish!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Aw hunny, you didn't offend me. Give yourself a hug from me. xx

I'm very much a 'say it as it is' person, I had to do that job cos darling ex hubby left us (me and his kids) on boxing day with nothing, not even the rent money or food in the fridge.

The tables have turned, I am now doing well for myself, have put myself through uni and got a degree, now have my own business, he is on the dole. Karma

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw hunny, you didn't offend me. Give yourself a hug from me. xx

I'm very much a 'say it as it is' person, I had to do that job cos darling ex hubby left us (me and his kids) on boxing day with nothing, not even the rent money or food in the fridge.

The tables have turned, I am now doing well for myself, have put myself through uni and got a degree, now have my own business, he is on the dole. Karma
    Good for you!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast