Thread: Rising 5s

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rising 5s

Hi All,

I could really do with all of your opinions right now if you don't mind.

I have a new mindee starting in September who is 3yrs 8mths at the moment but starts full-time school in September, so basically i will be doing drop offs and collects.

As he is in full-time education i thought maybe he will be counted towards rising 5s rather than Early Years criteria, so i called Ofsted to find out. They didn't have a clue, so i ended up being transferred to the Early Years department who said no he would be Early Years as he isn't 4 until December which is fine.

Anyway i was talking to a couple of childminders in the area who all said they count their 3 year olds in school as rising 5.

Is there anyone else who counts them as rising 5s or are they Early Years, i am just thinking whether Ofsted have given me the correct info?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jo x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ofsted information is quite specific that you can count 4 and 5 years old in full time education as rising 5s. I'm afraid it doesn't count for 3 year olds.

If you read the clause of your certificate it does say 4 and 5 yr olds. Will your mindee be going to a school nursery or a reception class?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought all children had to be 4 before they started school??????

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlyn View Post
    I thought all children had to be 4 before they started school??????
    I was about to post this - are you sure the child isn't going to the nursery within the school?
    Debbie

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of a 3 year old being in full time school?

As has been said, are you sure they are not attending a school nursery?

If they aren't 4 until December then I would assume that they would start full time school and be a rising 5 in Sep 12.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this, enquired about appliing for a variation to look after a baby sister of 3 years 9 month old. As three year old was in full time school ( nursery class of private school) ofsted told me I didn't need variation as she could be counted in rising 5 numbers, even though certificate says 4 and 5 year olds. In the end I didn't need variation so never did it. When I brought it up with ofsted inspector she said 4 and 5 year olds only, 3 year old could not be counted as rising 5

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    I had this, enquired about appliing for a variation to look after a baby sister of 3 years 9 month old. As three year old was in full time school ( nursery class of private school) ofsted told me I didn't need variation as she could be counted in rising 5 numbers, even though certificate says 4 and 5 year olds. In the end I didn't need variation so never did it. When I brought it up with ofsted inspector she said 4 and 5 year olds only, 3 year old could not be counted as rising 5
    I think that's the problem with speaking to people on the phone - they don't always know what they're talking about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think that's the problem with speaking to people on the phone - they don't always know what they're talking about
    Just typical of Ofsted though!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought that if he wasn't 4 till December he wouldn't be starting "proper" school until next September (2012) I thought most children started the September (or the next term if they have more than 1 intake) after their 4th birthday

Even if he is attending full time nursery, he won't count as a rising 5 until he is at "proper" school fulltime!!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after a mindee who was in full time nursery and I just did drop off and pick up sessions. At 3 she was counted as early years, only now that she is going into reception will she be counted as a rising 5. I had my inspection in June and although I only have her for a couple hours a day, she still wanted to see learning journals ect for this child.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In my area it is standard for children to start full-time school the term before their 4th birthday. They seem so tiny. Some other schools only have the September intake so they could only just be 3 when they start!

I am in Wales and the new NMS has removed all mention of under 5s in full-time school so they are either under 5s or over 5s which is going to cause some problems! So no rising 5s

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jo&BabyDillon View Post
    Hi All,

I could really do with all of your opinions right now if you don't mind.

I have a new mindee starting in September who is 3yrs 8mths at the moment but starts full-time school in September, so basically i will be doing drop offs and collects.

As he is in full-time education i thought maybe he will be counted towards rising 5s rather than Early Years criteria, so i called Ofsted to find out. They didn't have a clue, so i ended up being transferred to the Early Years department who said no he would be Early Years as he isn't 4 until December which is fine.

Anyway i was talking to a couple of childminders in the area who all said they count their 3 year olds in school as rising 5.

Is there anyone else who counts them as rising 5s or are they Early Years, i am just thinking whether Ofsted have given me the correct info?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jo x
    can't be a rising 5 until they're 4. at the moment, the child is merely a rising 4 haha