Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How far do you let the parents in?

I'm sorry if you are all rolling your eyes at this, BUT my question is how far do you let your parents in when they drop off mindees, if you let them in at all. Only asking as I have to decide where to put my certificate and THE poster!!!! Do I put in on the new notice board in my room where I am doing my childminding or in the hall where it might be more visible to a parent, notwithstanding the fact they may just ring the doorbell and handover the child to me. I know that's what I used to do when I sent my son to a childminder when he was a baby. At the end of the day she would literally be waiting with him in her arms, coat on and bag packed.Is the only time I see them in my house when I have my initial meeting with them....?
    Apologies if I am asking a pointless question but thanks for any answers.
    Emma

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to do the hand over at the door but I feel that they may think I am hiding something if I do not invite them in.

The thing that really bothers me though is the amount of people walking on my carpet and it will really annoy me in the winter.

I could keep them in the hall but it is not huge and is always full of buggies and carseats so thats not really an option.

I will be interested to see what every one else does

onceinabluemoon Guest

Mine usually drop off and pick up from the front door, but they all know they can come in any time if they need a chat or anything.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got 2 mums that just hand over in the morning at the door and then mybe somedays come in as far as the hall way. and one mum wh likes to come in and have a real chat about her life. Which I dont really mind on the days when all the othr children have gone home but not on the days when I still minding 2 children

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have one child at the mo... mum use to come in in the early days (only had him 5 weeks) but now she drops off at the door and I usually have him ready at the end of the day... but this is so I can get on with my own kids and she's usually late!

I only invite in if I have something to discuss or needs signing, I find they just want to get home now.

My certificate is up in the kitchen at the minute with my notice board as waiting for my porch to be repainted etc but then it'll be in there... but like you say if the don't come in they won't actually see it! But if they request to view there it will be
    Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

mine is in the porch just inside the front door even though the parents come into the front room.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all hand overs at the door. In winter parents are allowed into the hall, but in summer they stay on the doorstep. I explain at initial visist why I do it - can be unsettling to other children if there are parents walking through, children tend to settle better if parents just drop off & go, I haven't got room for all the parents,children are often reluctant to go home if parents come right in while they are still playing, most children start to play up at home time, so it's best to get them out of the house asap.

But, I make it very clear that they are very welcome to come in if they need a chat, and I do invite them in regularly to see what their children have been doing, how I've got things set out etc.

Then there are times like today when we were playing in the garden, completely oblivious of the time until the first parent arrived & my son sent them through into the garden. The others followed shortly after. It was lovely having them all there together as they got to see the children playing and having fun. But they all realised why doorstop handovers are better when all the children refused to go home & went out throwing temper tantrums

Post Thanks / Like

I usually ask parents in and they come wherever we are - lounge, kitchen, garden etc.

The only time they don't get a foot inside the door is if they're late!!!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I do all hand overs at the door. In winter parents are allowed into the hall, but in summer they stay on the doorstep. I explain at initial visist why I do it - can be unsettling to other children if there are parents walking through, children tend to settle better if parents just drop off & go, I haven't got room for all the parents,children are often reluctant to go home if parents come right in while they are still playing, most children start to play up at home time, so it's best to get them out of the house asap.

But, I make it very clear that they are very welcome to come in if they need a chat, and I do invite them in regularly to see what their children have been doing, how I've got things set out etc.

Then there are times like today when we were playing in the garden, completely oblivious of the time until the first parent arrived & my son sent them through into the garden. The others followed shortly after. It was lovely having them all there together as they got to see the children playing and having fun. But they all realised why doorstop handovers are better when all the children refused to go home & went out throwing temper tantrums
    Oh I can just imagine it...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Mine all come in!! Luckily drop offs and collections are spread out so don't end up with a houseful all at the same time (well not very often anyway ).

As a parent I would think there was something up if I was kept at the door (appealing as it seems sometimes ). The lo's like to show parents what they are/have been doing/playing with and I have a quick chat with each about their child!!

To be honest I never considered doing it any other way

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to read everyone's replies. I don't have a set rule about whether they come in or not it has just happened naturally with all of mine. One is always in a rush so drops off and picks up at the door unless she needs to come in and chat about holiday dates etc.
    Another will stand and chat at the door at drop off and pick up but not come in unless her little girl wants to show her something
    My third always comes in at drop off and pick up and it's not unusual for her to stay for 10-15 mins chatting, but I like the fact she actually sees what her little girl has been doing.
    I had another parent who would stay for ages at pick up which I don't mind unless it's right at the end of the day!
    Personally I like to have a chat with them to reinforce our relationship as I think that can help the children

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all come in as they like to have a quick chat about how their children slept the night before, what time they woke up (so we know when to expect to put them down for a nap). And then again in the evenings to discuss their day and what we have down, although all this info is in theor diaries.

I think they quite like having that personal touch and to be able to see what their children get up to all day and that they are happy in my home.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my kid goes at 4.30 when i'm feeding the kids so they have to come and go quick but i do let them in. i try not to chat too much as i've finished work and don't get paid overtime!!!

my certificate is in the conservatory thats the kids playroom and my 'office'.
    heard about some parents letting their kids trash house after tidy up and sit for ages not getting hint to leave, very aware i'm not having that in my house!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

At drop off my parents don't come into my house but tell me if there's anything I need to know while standing on the doorstep. At collection I ask them all to come in as they're normally early so their children need to put their shoes etc on. I also get the chance then to have a chat with the parents about what has gone on though the day. My certificates are displayed on a noticeboard in my dining room. I don't have a hall that I can put it in unfortunately. Hx

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it depends on the child(ren) as if they get upset ect

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hard floors in kitchen hall and playroom. Carpet in lounge. Parents know we have no shoes on the carpet, so they don't go in there. If the child they are collecting is in the lounge I bring them out to Mum/Dad, they collect their things and go. If we are in the garden I put a note on front door for parents to come to back gate. in tthat case the lounge door is locked so nobody comes in from outside and goes in there. Parents all stay for a chat, unless they are late, in which case I have their LO ready to go.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine come in as far as they like. Often further than they'd like lol, they get dragged in off the street to see whatever we've been doing, wherever we've been doing it, even if it's all the way through into the back yard.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all handovers in the kitchen as that is the nearest room to front door. I do make sure that the door leading from kitchen to living room is fully closed as this stops the children going back in there to play.

I do it this way as in the past parents have made themselves slightly too comfortable on my sofa and still been there an hour or so later

Carol xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a no shoe policy in our house so I will continue that when I get my first mindee, so I dont mind if parents come into the hall but i will not invite them into the lounge.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is in the hallway right next to the front door. One Mum comes in for a quick chat, another stays for ages sometimes! I have had some parents literally just stay at the door and never really come in.
    Either way, I don't think any of them have ever looked at it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast