Parent turning up too early
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent turning up too early

I have just taken on a new baby, she started yesterday and on both occasions her mum has turned up 15 mins early. Yesterday I put it down to being new and was a little embarrassed as I still had wet hair from the shower but mum didn't seem to mind; however she did exactly the same thing again this morning and arrived 15 mins early again only this time I got a sarcastic " OH you've got wet hair again"

Should I say something as she is starting to seriously piddle me off already?

Thanks

Pauline

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes!
    Or go a step further and dont answwer the door immediately - and after a few minutes answer it dripping in your dressing gown! Say sorry I was still in the shower , wasnt expecting you til.....

Seriously though you need to nip this in the bud. Ive grown to resent my 7am starter coming 5-10 mins early every day but I t has gone on for ages so its difficult to raise the issue. Your mindee is new - maybe give it til the end of the week and have a chat about how your week has gone ..and just a couple of small points you need to raise. If your happy to start a little earlier offer to change her contract if she needs it at an extra charge of course!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My newest mindee arrived 15 minutes early first two days, on collection just say sorry about me not being ready this morning but wasn't expecting you until x and then you can either remind her not to be early or re negotiate start times. Best to nip it in the bud now or it will niggle.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to lay down your rules now - speak to mum and tell her you don't open until whatever time you agreed on the contract.

If she does it again, don't answer the door until her contract time starts - she will get the message but you may have to be blunt!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

id raise it sooner rather than later hun, you will start to resent it quite quickly if you dont. Just mention it in passing.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately nip it in the bud hun, if you let them take an inch it will turn into a mile. If she insists in coming 15 minutes early tell her you will charge her for the hour.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You really do need to say something sooner rather than later as it will continue to grate on you, I know from experience

Carol xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always say when we sign contracts and agree times that they will be under review during the 4 weeks settling in.

This is because if a parent is starting work after 9-12 months off they may need to get used to journey times. If they feel they need 15mins extra in the morning then I would discuss this and change the Contracted hours accordingly.

If after the settiling in and any adjustments they still arrive early or late I wouldn't open the door before their start time and I would firmly apply late charges. I charge £15 for every 15 mins or part of 15 mins they are late.

You have to be fair but very firm.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent that did this even when I stopped answering the door..... she used to send the child to look through my lounge window

Be honest and tell her she is flipping early

Good luck

Angel xx

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    I had a parent that did this even when I stopped answering the door..... she used to send the child to look through my lounge window

Be honest and tell her she is flipping early

Good luck

Angel xx
    my friend has this, she refuses to open the door and now leaves the curtains shut until 7am when she starts and not a second earlier
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    my friend has this, she refuses to open the door and now leaves the curtains shut until 7am when she starts and not a second earlier
    Its the only thing to do if they dont take the hint

Angel xx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im seroiusly thinking of getting parents to sign in their child on the register from sept.
    Will put the digital clock next to it too so maybe if mum has to write down 6.50 a few times she will realise how often she is early!
    Really wish i had nipped it in the bud tbh!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowqueenuk View Post
    I have just taken on a new baby, she started yesterday and on both occasions her mum has turned up 15 mins early. Yesterday I put it down to being new and was a little embarrassed as I still had wet hair from the shower but mum didn't seem to mind; however she did exactly the same thing again this morning and arrived 15 mins early again only this time I got a sarcastic " OH you've got wet hair again"

Should I say something as she is starting to seriously piddle me off already?

Thanks

Pauline
    my reply would have been - that's cos you're early - again! cheeky moo. def. nip in the bud early hon. don't answer the door tomorrow - pretend you 'didn't hear'
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    Yep my gate stays firmly padlocked till 8 so they can sit in the car till then

Carol xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask mum if she needs to amend the contract start time as she has turned up 15 mins early each time - tell her you are not insured to work outside of contracted hours so you need to ensure that the correct drop off time is on the contract!
    Blessed Be!

Oct 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent who used to do this, I got my daughter to answer the door and she said my mum is still in the shower, the mum waited in the lounge till I came down, I pretended I didn't know my daughter had answered the door and that she was waiting, I think she was embarrassed and she never did it again, I would sometimes see her wandering around outside killing time before she knocked on my door.
    You have to nip it in the bud or it will niggle

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, of course you should say something. Just remind her that her contract is for a specific time and that is the EARLIEST she should arrive, not the LATEST. Letting her know this is not a confrontation, it's a conversation. Just tell her, then you can all move on without any hostility or power games.

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i really don't like parents turning up early mornings ... one of my mums use to do this so i left her standing at the door
    CWR

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

definatly deal with now,, I had one who was contracted at 8am and eventualy edged forward till 7.30am,, there it stayed for a while then eventualy it krept to 7.20am at which point I sent out a general letter to all parents saying I dont start till 7.30am and that I would not be opening the door any earlier,, now my door bell stays turned off untill 7.30am and they can wait outside till im ready.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Second day with a new baby, perhaps Mum is unclear on how these things work.

Have a polite chat tonight to explain things and tell her what she needs to do, either change contract hours or wait to whenever to drop baby off.

If she's still early tomorrow, make sure you bill her or don't answer the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast