Kitchen question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kitchen question

My kitchen doesn't have a door. I am wondering if I need to put a gate on the doorway.

I really don't want one as there is one on the bottom of the stairs close by and I am worried my house will start to look like a prison. Also, the back door leads to the kitchen so if children are in the garden they can easily get into the kitchen.

I have locks on the cupboard under the sink and the drawer with sharp items inside. Will that be enough do you think?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

What did Ofsted say on your pre-reg visit? I was told to divide my kitchen with a room divider to ensure children couldn't reach the cooker & oven.

Penny1959 Guest

Provided you can explain to Ofsted how you will keep the children safe - there is no need to have a gate.

However I would personally be considering how I would keep them safe when the cooker was on.

Penny

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annalg View Post
    What did Ofsted say on your pre-reg visit? I was told to divide my kitchen with a room divider to ensure children couldn't reach the cooker & oven.
    My pre-reg was in my old flat. I did have a gate there but had no stairs.

What I try to do at the moment is batch cook so that I only have to use the microwave and then the back hobs for pasta, rice etc. My oven door doesn't actually get hot but I suppose it is a risk when taking things out of the oven etc.

Would a kitchen/cooking risk assessment cover it all do you think?

My own children (aged three and ten months) are aware that the cooker is hot and not to touch it and I think it's important to teach children that and not just have everything locked away.

I know Ofsted might not agree.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In all the 17 years I have mined, in our flat, in the house as we bought it and now with the extention I have never had a kitchen which I could shut the door on. In my new kitchen i have RAs and I don't have a cupboard lock on any of the doors or drawers. I am lucky enough to have a seperate Utility room now so all my cleaning stuff etc is in there in a high cupboard with and I have an alarm on the door to the room.

The main thing is that the children are not in the kitchen without me anyway.

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in an old Victorian house and the children have to go through my kitchen to get to the bathroom. I have never had a gate on, either for my own children or in the 15 years I have been childminding.It has never been an issue for Ofsted.

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all.

I will just make sure I have a confident, thorough, answer when they ask me about it.