Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breast feeding

Registered Childminder since
    sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default breast feeding

i have just come back from another childminders house who i met last week at tots group.
    it got to half past 11 and she said oh to door will ring in a min it will be mindees mummy ok i said is she going home then? no she said her mum is coming to breast feed her she come everyday in her lunch hour.
    now this seems a really nice thing to do but i have to say i was a little shocked as the mindee is nearly 4 years old.
    foxy

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

ah! was going to say thats okay, but then 4yrs old really doesn't need the mum to feed over lunch (if at all lol!)

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do we think mum is having a bit of trouble letting go???
    Marnie x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just spat my coffee out..lol

What a waste of a hard earned cuppa

Becky x

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do we think mum is having a bit of trouble letting go???
    foxy

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foxy lady View Post
    ha ha i wonder if she will want to go at lunch time in september when she starts school.
    foxy

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of the Little Britain sketch...where the fully grown man asks for bitty
    I love that it always makes me giggle

Becky x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

A child of four should be drinking from a cup and certainly doesn't need feeding during the day, mum needs to have another baby.

sept10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    A child of four should be drinking from a cup and certainly doesn't need feeding during the day, mum needs to have another baby.
    I agree with this! I would be as shocked at a four yr old having a bottle of milk at dinner time too. Wowzers.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! My health visitor would love that one - she practically fell out of her chair last month when I said my two year old still had breast feeds morning and night!!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to mum really, not anyone else's business or place to judge. I'm sure she'd be delighted to know her childminder and childminder's friends are mocking her.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

whilst there is nothing wrong with still breastfeeding the child - i would have thought it would make more logical sense to express it and give it to him a beaker - rather than taking the time and effort to come over every lunch time to feed him/her.
    Blessed Be!

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely NOTHING with feeding a child of four if this is what you want to do.

However, totally impractical and she's not thinking ahead to school time plus I doubt the child really needs it and is sitting there at lunchtime distressed if mum doesn't come to feed her!

I fed both of mine til they each were 2 but by this point it was just an a.m. or an a.m. and p.m. feed they really didn't need any more.

But, it's up her - I guess as CM she could say to mum hey it's only X months til she starts school - are you planning to phase it out by then or what's your plan?????

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if the childminder wants to go out for the day?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My Daughter is 2 next month and i cannot visualise her breast feeding again. Although to be honest she still has a bedtime bottle, is that bad?

She sleeps really well with it, i know i have to start stopping it soon, she also still has her dummy. Think i will start giving her a beaker of milk before bed and then after her birthday work on the dummy.
    Jo -Rain or Shine CM

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with a mum chosing to breastfeed for an extended period and i have no problem with a mum coming in at lunchtime to bf a baby.

But, I would have a problem with a mum coming in to bf a 4yr old as it just isn't necessary. I'd be accommodating for a baby, but not for a 4yr old child. It would disrupt our day and unsettle the other children. If it was necessary, then that's fine (as in for a baby), but as it isn't needed to bf a 4yr old at lunchtime, I'm afraid I wouldn't agree to it. It sounds like it's just an excuse for mum to visit at lunchtime.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    Up to mum really, not anyone else's business or place to judge. I'm sure she'd be delighted to know her childminder and childminder's friends are mocking her.
    #

actually the childminder never once mocked her she just told me that she would be coming as the mum feeds in the room we were in. im not sure where you got that information from but i certanly did not say that. the childminder was very professional about it. as for me mocking her well maybe just a little bit but it wasnt ment in a hurtfull way
    foxy

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In societies where children are allowed to nurse "as long as they want" they usually self-wean, with no arguments or emotional trauma, between 3 and 4 years of age.

The good Dr Detweiler should know what she's talking about.

as for me mocking her well maybe just a little bit but it wasnt ment in a hurtfull way
    Mocking someone is always hurtful, whether you mean it or not. Perhaps mum has to work, but also wants to maintain the closest emotional bond she feels she can with her child?

Given all the other comments on theses forums about parents who don't seem to give a damn about their kids, I don't think anyone should be mocking a mother who clearly does (whether she's right to carry on for this long or not).

Kudos to the other childminder for being a professional about it though.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, i wrote a policy on BF as I am BFing my little one and prob will do up to a year. So came on and saw this and thought oh someone else is too? Then .. wow 4! and I thought I was being optimistic about doing it until LO was 1!! HAHA any other CMs BF their own?? x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Babycat View Post
    LOL, i wrote a policy on BF as I am BFing my little one and prob will do up to a year. So came on and saw this and thought oh someone else is too? Then .. wow 4! and I thought I was being optimistic about doing it until LO was 1!! HAHA any other CMs BF their own?? Me! x
    I have BF all four of mine, still going with number 4. Number 1 was until 12 months, number 2 was until about 18 months, number 3 stopped herself at just over 12 months (but I was pregnant and it apparently changes the taste!) and number 4 is nearly 13 months old and I know I'll keep going until at least 2 years as he's my last! I know I'll want to hold out, he's my last little baby and I'm going to miss it. For just over the past 5 and a half years I've either been pregnant or breastfeeding or both at times and it's been brilliant. I am so going to miss having babies, but that's definately another story! Good on you for trying to stick it out for 1 year!!! I hope your baby enjoys it for that long too.

As for BF whilst minding. My eldest is nearly 10 (omg, feel so weird, double figures soon!) and I never had a problem when he was younger. One of my mindees mum's were expressing for me to give him her milk in a bottle etc. I've never had any parents complain, even when their children stick dollies up their jumpers to BF them too. My third is nearly 3 years old and not long after I had my 4th, she said to me, mummy, I want milk in my three tummy's too, coz my dolly wants mummy's milk. She thinks I have three tummy's not a tummy and two boobs!! x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast