Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Really "BIG" Pine cones!!!!

the neighbors got a "huge" fur trees which had HUGE fur cones............without exaggeration they are about the size of a tin of beans and prob weigh about half that....

I informed next door a while ago I will be chopping the over hanging branches off as soon as I can afford it, needless to say he wasn't overly happy, I explained that these fur cone were a safety hazard for the children..... and anyway few weeks have passed, he's forgotten (he forgets alot) anyway I got speaking to his friend and explained this and that (as above) he agreed that I have the right to do that but then said It was a vane reason to chop a big part of the tree off (it will reduce its height by about 6/7 feet)

i explained that as a mother and a childminder the kids safety comes paramount the that of a tree, no matter much I love them!! anyway just having a lil moan!

Post Thanks / Like

Be nice to have the cones for the children to play with - if your neighbour doesn't mind.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Be nice to have the cones for the children to play with - if your neighbour doesn't mind.

Miffy xx
    I was just thinking how fab they would be to make things with!

A mindee bought one in a few weeks ago that was a good size, so we painted it & stuck glitter, feathers and googly eyes on it. It looked great! I wanted to do the same with the other mindees, but the only pine cones we could find were tiny.

Is there no way you could fence off the bit of the garden where the tree overhangs? It would be a shame to have to cut the tree back.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

it covers 2/3rds of the width of the garden, its a big old tree

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I see your problem!

What about a big net underneath it to catch them all? Something like a massive hammock

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds a problem!

i would get this checked but i think by law you are allowed to cut back any overhanging branches as long as you offer them back to the owner as legally they belong to them!

pines cones are great to play with but not great when they land on your head from a great height! ouch!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    sounds a problem!

i would get this checked but i think by law you are allowed to cut back any overhanging branches as long as you offer them back to the owner as legally they belong to them!

pines cones are great to play with but not great when they land on your head from a great height! ouch!
    I do have legal rights to cut the off but to offer them back, they are great with regards to playing with etc and I had 6 which are the size of a baked bean tin, theres another 10 + which are equally as big,when they drop it sounds like a brick!!! was gonna take a photo to show you but it seems I have thrown them away!