Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent paying using Tax credits

Hi all,

Would some be kind enough to help me? I have had a lady ring me today wanting to pay using tax credits, the thing is I have no idea how they work. Also she said she want's me to have him 11 - 6 but would be claiming 11 - 8 as this is the hours she works and would pay me that? This sounds odd to me? I always request to be paid in advance as well, would this be possible do you think. Just not sure about this one. She wants to visit me tomorrow and start on Wednesday Trouble is I have 2 leaving me this week so really reluctant to turn her away

What do you think on this one chaps?

Thank you for your help xx
    Sam xxx

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

She can only claim the actual hours she pays you for for the childcare element. She will get working tax credits for the hours she works, In my experience they will check, My parent had to send invoices and reciepts to verify times etc.

Obvioulsly you can not possibly know what she will tell them, but personally I would tell her that you can only verify the actual hours you mind for if they contact you.

Hope that helps

Jackie x

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I have heard of a lot of people asking to do this recently as the parents now have to pay a minimum of 30% instead of 20% of the childcare fees through tax credits, themselves. I wouldn't risk it if I were you

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SamBaker View Post
    Hi all,

Would some be kind enough to help me? I have had a lady ring me today wanting to pay using tax credits, the thing is I have no idea how they work. Also she said she want's me to have him 11 - 6 but would be claiming 11 - 8 as this is the hours she works and would pay me that? This sounds odd to me? I always request to be paid in advance as well, would this be possible do you think. Just not sure about this one. She wants to visit me tomorrow and start on Wednesday Trouble is I have 2 leaving me this week so really reluctant to turn her away

What do you think on this one chaps?

Thank you for your help xx

It is up to her to sort out her tax credits and nothing to do with you. Tell her how much you charge and she then tells tax credits. Why would she be claiming till 8 if you only have him till 6? I would somehow slip into conversation that TC's do check with providers how much is being claimed and that you have a duty to report those who you believe to be fraudulently claiming (you don't have a professional duty only a moral one but she doesn't have to know this)

Make sure she understands charges for hols/bank holidays etc.

As for the advance - up to you what you take but I don't think TC's do this and it will be up to the parent to find it. Get the (non refundable) deposit though.

Also don't give your EY number till you have contract signed

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, thank you for your help. This really has baffled me, but I will defently be only invoicing for my hours and it will be in advance. Think I will stick to my guns on this one. I don't needd the work that much if it is going to be hassle. I did tell her that if she wanted him to start Wednesday then she would need a deposit tomorrow when she came to visit me.
    I'll be getting the invoice ready to as well!
    Sam xxx

sept 2006
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

excatly what pip squeak said
    i have found the the parents who getting working fam tax credits
    pay me weekly which is fine by me
    again do not give your ofsted number until you have signed contracts
    Debra

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know Debra, the information I have, hopefully I can blind her with science tomorrow. Hopefully it will be OK and she wont be dodgy!
    Sam xxx