Childcare tax credits and mat leave
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childcare tax credits and mat leave

Hi I've just had a dream enquiry for Nov. A baby 4 full days term time only. Mum has said she would love to settle lo and herself in slowly by doing 2 half days a wk from the Sep but would only be able to afford it if she could get help moneywise. Can you claim childcare taxcredits before you return to work from maternity leave? I think you can but wanted to make sure before I said anything x

Also I was going to charge a small retainer can she claim for this? I might just forget about retainer if she can't as I really want this lo would be perfect for us all x
    Last edited by clio0602; 28-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I don't think you can. If someone is claiming for an older child before they go on mat leave then this can continue but don't think you can make a new claim till you go back to work!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to disagree with the above post, I'm afraid.

Being on maternity leave means you are employed for the sake of all benefits and accruement of benefits (like holidays for example).

Def get her to check and ask.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh ok Thanks anyway lol

I'll ask her to give them a call. Didn't want to mention anything to her but would love to start with lo in Sep before the separation anxiety hits lol x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

my mindees mum is on mat leave for second child - now 3 months old. she has carried on sending mindee - aged 2 -for 2 days a week (instead of 3 - has altered it with tax credits) till she goes back to work and hopefully I get baby too.

she thought it would have to stop - but they told her she was still employed so could carry on. keeps him settled here and gives her a break!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies