Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Birth Certificates

Mrs O has just left and pulled me up on something I knew nothing about. Are all of you aware that it is a legal requirement for you to see the child's birth certificate to see who the named father is and whether he has parental responsibility? This should be entered on the first page of the NCMA contract form.

I was always under the impression that this only applied to parents who were separated and had joint care of their child.

This misunderstanding cost me a 'Good' rating which I am not too happy about!! Hope this helps some of you avoid the same mistake.

Helen xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No I have never heard of this, where does it say on page one of the NCMA Contract that you have to have seen the Birth Cert? Nowhere as far as I can see. You just record who has PR. and the parent/parents sign.

In 17yrs od minding I have never seen one of my mindees Birth Certs.

I would actually phone Ofsted now and ask them and then challenge the inspectors judgement.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 16-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree it sounds like a 'made up' rule.

Never have i ever seen it written down anywhere that we ave to see the birth certs!

onceinabluemoon Guest

I've never seen any birth certificates either...

It wasn't even brought up at my inspection.

If I was you I would email OFSTED with a general enquiry asking if you have to have sight of the child's birth certificate as you'd heard it was so but had never seen any official matter on the subject. Dont mention it in any way with your inspection and then see what the reply is before you take it further. If they say no (in writing hence why you email not phone) then you have the basis for a complaint if you have been marked down for it.

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

She showed me a paragraph in the EYFS booklet about ascertaining who has parental responsibility but I just assumed that if the mother had signed and stated who she was happy to have collect her child, then all was ok.

Am going to phone Ofsted to get some clarification on this.

onceinabluemoon Guest

email them hun (see post above, cross posted) x

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of it before!!! Surely we can't demand to see birth certificates, we should just take what we are told by the parents as being true

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

accredited childminders have to see a birth certificate to check the date of birth to see if the child is elligible but I thought asking the parents about p.r was sufficient...
    boo

bexcee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyes View Post
    accredited childminders have to see a birth certificate to check the date of birth to see if the child is elligible but I thought asking the parents about p.r was sufficient...
    I can understand that if you are applying for the funding but otherwise I can't see why and it's up to the parents to tell the truth and sign the contract which is a legal document.

I would be challenging it especially if that was the only thing stopping you from getting a good grade.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg, I'm fuming for you!!!

Yet another case of luck of the draw with who you get inspecting?

Did she give you an action? If not can't see how this could affect your overall grade and even if she did I would be disputing it.

Also thought that contracts had nothing to do with Ofsted?

How many of us have ever been pulled up on this? Ludicrous?!!!

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nic
    Yes she gave me an action on it for four weeks from now.

I have just phoned Ofsted for clarification and am waiting for an Inspector to call me back.

I will keep you all updated. x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In 16 years of minding I have never seen a birth certificate for any child.

Ofsted never asked at my inspection either and as far as I know none of my CM friends have been asked either

I would question it. As there is no requirement to use NCMA contracts how can we be told to fill it in on the page there?
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know parents have to declare who has PR and we have to know that information.

I think there have been forms posted on here.

But i have never ever heard that we have to ask to see BC. So ladies if Mrs O asked if we have seen them just nod and smile
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    Hi Nic
    Yes she gave me an action on it for four weeks from now.

I have just phoned Ofsted for clarification and am waiting for an Inspector to call me back.

I will keep you all updated. x
    We all miss things sometimes but surely if this was a requirement most of us on here would know about it!!! I wonder what criteria she is going to fit it under for the action? She can't just make up her own wording for it.

Also even if she has given an action then it shouldn't necessarily affect your overall grade. Did she say this was why you weren't getting good?

I got 2 actions regarding RAs (won't bore you with it now but I disputed them) yet was still graded good.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked who has parental responsibility for all the children, even those parents who are married or single with no partner? You said you only thought it applied to parents who were separated and had joint care of the children, so maybe that's what she was picking you up on, rather than not having checked birth certificates?

Pipsqueak Guest

Nope never realised that we had to see birth certificates - it that case I am going to say we should all hand back our gradings.

what made up rubbish and I think you should fight this all the way.....

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

hi everyone

Just spoken to a really nice Inspector at Ofsted and she is outraged at this mis-information. She said that under no circumstances should we ask to see birth certificates and that if both parents are named on the contract we do not need to supply any more information to Ofsted about parental responsibility, she said that is proof enough.

She advised me to wait for my report to arrive and if the action is still listed to complain against it, she said that she will help me all the way.

Hope I didn't stress anyone out too much. xx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

glad they have got back to you and sorted it out fingers crossed your report wont have action on it...

all my parents fill out and sign a PR form even if they are both on contracts if just one parent on they still fill out details of other parent....
    Dust its Fairy Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    hi everyone

Just spoken to a really nice Inspector at Ofsted and she is outraged at this mis-information. She said that under no circumstances should we ask to see birth certificates and that if both parents are named on the contract we do not need to supply any more information to Ofsted about parental responsibility, she said that is proof enough.

She advised me to wait for my report to arrive and if the action is still listed to complain against it, she said that she will help me all the way.

Hope I didn't stress anyone out too much. xx
    so glad you got a helpful inspector. i was at having to ask to see childrens birth certificates!

i do give parents a form about PR, and ask them to fill it in, but can i make them? !!! they all do, and currently all my children have two parents with PR, but should one parent not wish to sign/not be involved in the care of the child, how should i know?!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you have someone from Ofsted on your side.

I have a mum who hasnt put dad on the PR form. I know from the LO that dad lives in India cos he likes it there so cant see him knocking on my door, but wonder where I would stand if Ofsted challenged me about it. Surely I cant make her fill in his details. We do have a bit of a language difficulty as mum is eastern european and sometimes we both get confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast