Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child ended up in casualty what do i need to do

a 5yrold fell in my garden to night and ended up in casualty
    she and the others were racing along the garden (all blok paved) she was on a ride on toy which she tipped off head first and cut her chin,, I cleaned it up and put some lint and microtape on then when she was happy I rang mum to explain it was a deep cut and if it were me with my child I would take her to the nurse to check it out,, mum came and took her to the nurse and ended up in casualty,, she got it glued and has butterfly stiches.
    I wrote up an accident form detailing what happend,, and the fact id rang mum and also how the child was afterwards but do I need to do anthing else ie add to the form that she went to casualty?
    I feel awful but it was just one of those things and nothing i could have done to prevent it,, but i felt awful for her bless.
    mum also is sending her to school and mine tommoro but the poor mite will be shattered!
    after school i tommoro we are setting up our wormery so I supposed after that she can just chill with the tv on if she wants.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to write something up stating that Mum took her to casualty and you need to give Ofsted a call to inform them and also your insurers. Accidents do happen and we can't wrap children up in cotton wool

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor love, and poor you!

I *think* that if a child needs medical attention following an accident you need to contact Ofsted. I would do a risk assessment of the outside area first - what happened to cause the accident? what can you do to minimise the risks of it happening again? that sort of thing.

I'm sure she'll be grand tomorrow X
    Deb X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need to notify Ofsted if they went to hospital. There is a new factsheet 'serious accidents, injuries and death' in the free downloads, last one on the left, just above the Tax info section. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...downloads.html

it should help you get all the info you need.

Hope they are ok, must have been scary
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking at the Ofsted fact sheet in free downloads here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...injuriesa.html

You need to report it to Ofsted and maybe the local safeguarding children board / child protection agency. You might also need to inform RIDDOR but you can take advice from Ofsted on that one.

You should also tell your insurance company - this is one of those accidents that might lead to you being sued in 15 years time if the child cannot be a model because of a scar caused while in your care.

Please remember accidents happen. This is why you have insurance.

Hugs xx

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey - my two year old great newphew did this at nursery today! He too is glued up. They were about to ring an ambulance for him if my sister and his other grandma hadn't got to him first - they needed them both apparently or they couldn't release him as he was in such a state. Anyway, they got there and took him to GP - the nurse did the glueing.

He was running fell and banged it on a raised wooden flower bed in the outside area. I can imagine they will be redoing their risk assessment tonight!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks folks,, I will notify ofsted tommoro morning,, poor girl,, she was very brave and although a few tears not as many as there could have been,, notified mum straight, dont see on reflection how I could have prevented the accident so hope ofsted dont view this as being wrong in some way.
    will this have a reflection on my inspection which is due june this year?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You may well get a visit - have all your paperwork ready just in case.

xx

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You may well get a visit - have all your paperwork ready just in case.

xx
    everything accept my accounts is up to date so should be ok,,, the only thing i am worried about and was before this happend is my risk assesments as i am not very good with these,, I know what iam supposed to do and do them in my head quite well but not sure how i am supposed to put them on paper,, i have put them on paper as to how i think they should be but not sure if they are right,,,

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    thanks folks,, I will notify ofsted tommoro morning,, poor girl,, she was very brave and although a few tears not as many as there could have been,, notified mum straight, dont see on reflection how I could have prevented the accident so hope ofsted dont view this as being wrong in some way.
    will this have a reflection on my inspection which is due june this year?
    I had a mindee split his chin in a fall last year. Dad took him to hospital for glue and strips. Phoned insurance and Ofsted - Ofsted wanted it written up and sent too - I sent email. They told me in my case riddor was not necessary. all had been signed by dad in my books and I adjusted my RA.

My inspection came up soon after, it was over due but may have been triggered by this

Inspector looked at everything and said I had done everything right thanks to everyone on forum who gave advice
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

in my RA for the block paving its this

surface--block paving/patio area-- keep clean, well maintained, no loose blocks, teach children to play safley.

what else would you put as a 'update' to the RA

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child end up at A & E for a small cut on forehead and she came straight back to me after an hour with it sorted. I informed Ofsted and also had to inform RIDDOR.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    in my RA for the block paving its this

surface--block paving/patio area-- keep clean, well maintained, no loose blocks, teach children to play safley. and not to run on paving area..........................................
    what else would you put as a 'update' to the RA
    .................................................. ..................
    Dust its Fairy Dust