Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sandwiches

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandwiches

I have a lovely boy who was 1 yesterday. He's very easy going and loves his food (27 lbs) his parents have recently started packing him a sandwich for lunch instead of his 2 cooked meals a day which he used to wolf down without chewing even though quite chunky.

He won't let me put even a tiny bit of sandwich in his mouth, parents have said sometimes he wolfs them down and sometimes he's not interested. Well 3 weeks on and I still can't get him to eat a morsel.

Any ideas? He's a big lad so can stand to miss a meal or 2 but I've never had this problem with a little'un before. He also has other foods to eat that he likes (crackers, peppers, raisins, banana). So far he's bought philly sandwich and jam.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont feed the one yr old i have unless its breakfast cearal with milk then he has a spoon and i do, try just leaving it in front of him see if he feeds himself...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I did try that, but he just cry's. I wonder if he's hoping for his cooked dinner if he doesn 't eat the sandwich?

I suppose if he's hungry enough, he'll eat it - maybe delay lunch...?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have another lo that wont eat sandwiches, but if i put filling on a bap and leave it open she eats it... shes just gone 1 as well. she will also eat if i roll bread up and slice it in circles ( like a sauage and cut it) come to think of it she likes all her food round peas, blueberries , melon balls....
    Dust its Fairy Dust

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

You could delay lunch a bit to see if his really hungry, does he have a lot or big snack mid morning? could just not be hungry enough. Its different if someones spoon feeding dont have to make any effort, finger foods need a bit more effort may take him a little while to get used to it, and if you say his weight isnt a problem i'd persevere.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers girls! He doesn't have a morning snack at all but has lunch at about 11.45 as he needs a sleep for 2 hours by 12.30.

I like the round food theory (I should try to disguise the sandwich as bolognaise which is his fav)
    Last edited by funemnx; 22-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try cutting his sandwich into a shape - say a car and you have one at the same time - talk to him about what's in the sandwich, how it tastes etc and he might be tempted to join in.................. worth a try!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

now you have made me hungry bolognaise buttie dont know why i like it on bread and butter...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    now you have made me hungry bolognaise buttie dont know why i like it on bread and butter...
    Mmmmm... Hungry now!!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

if he dosent eat his sandwich do you still give him the other stuff?? could be he has realised if he dosen eat sandwich he still gets the yummy stuff he may prefer after anyway,,,, non of mine get anything if they dont eat their sandwich first as i would just assume they are not hungry,, sand wich then fruit then wat ever they want

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

perhaps he can't see the stuff he likes (the filling). if he say has chicken/ham and salad, put all the bits on the plate so he can choose what to eat first maybe???
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got