Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I really need some children!

Hi everyone,

I am so down in the dumps today. I am newly registered and am just hardly getting any enquiries.

I have been looking after a adhoc mindee, mum uses me occasionally, but at least it was a bit of money and lovely child.

Mum came in yesterday and casually mentioned she was moving today. ( friday ) I assumed it was local cos she hadnt mentioned it. But no it is miles away.

Know i am being silly but quite upset mum hadnt mentioned this before, so I am looking after child today and then I assume thats it.

She is quite a laid back mum and said " I will still use you sometimes ", but I cant see that happening.

We are really struggling financially and now it will be back to nothing.

Sorry for being so miserable x

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel. I have been registered since July and it started well but I've only ever had children temporarily (as the more well known childminders in the area couldn't take these on). I've had one enquiry in months and it was too far away for me to do the school pick-up. I was really worried but Mrs O told me it can take up to 2 years to get yourself known.

I'm sorry I can't offer any pearls of wisdom but I would like to wish you the best of luck. Coudl you find yourself a part-time temp job maybe until something comes along?

Apr2011
    Post Thanks / Like

I an very sorry to heard that, maybe you should advertise more you know in the nearby schools, health centre, window shopping, library, etc
    I am very sad about it's happening to you as soon I will in the same situation, I mean starting with childminding and expecting children to came soon, but, keep the hope up I am very sure something will come up soon

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think a few of us are in same boat, I have still not replaced children I lost in September when they started full time school. Not having any phone calls either, done all the advertising I can think of, if things dont pick up soon I will have to look for a full time job.

Straws x

dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies.

I am just disappointed, I had an enquiry the other day which is 2 mornings 10 til 1 ( only 6 hours a week) for a 10 month old.

When i told a couple of local minders they laughed and said they wouldnt bother.

The problem is I know its not great, but at least its something. I will tell her if i get full time under a year enquiry, i would have to let her go.

would you do this. The other minders have been doing it years and always have kids, I just think I may as well do it for now.

Just losing hope at moment. x

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI ,
    Yes definitely do it - all mine are part timers and by the sound of the other childminders' approach you could find you've tapped into a niche in your local market
    one benefit of having part timers is that as you fill up, you may be able to juggle some free time out of your week. I have 9 children on my books and work 7.30 to 5.30 monday tuesday and thursday. Just 7.30 till 9 and 3 til 5.30 on Weds and only 7.30 till 9 on Friday morning!

I love this way of doing things - no idea how anyone copes with fulltime hours plus paperwork, plus life!

Once you have extra little ones to take to groups etc, and people notice how good you are with them, you'll stand more chance of getting enquiries. there's no need to put the parent off by saying you'll have to give notice now. If you need to in the future, deal with that then...

Try and see it as a positive

bws,
    Wendy

dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, nice to know you have lots of part timers and it can work.

I know the other childminders in the area are doing well, but sometimes, i feel its a little insensitive when others are struggling.

Not sure what contract to do if i take this one on, would you do a flexible contract, with no notice required.

I was only going to charge the hourly rate , nothing more than that.

Dont want to really , have a notice period in it , incase something more worthwhile comes up.

I know that sounds harsh, but its because its my under 1 place. x

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd definately take the part time work.

If the child is 10 months then it's only going to be two months before they are 1 and so will no longer be taking your baby space. I'd be tempted to do a full contract and hope that if another baby enquiry comes along that by the time they've vistied etc & sorted start dates the 10 month old will have had their 1st birthday and you can say yes to a new parent.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,

Personally I do a 4 week notice period for all contracts. This protects me as well as the parents, and take payments 4 weekly and in advance. I usually build in a 4 week settling in period too though, which means I can get out of the contract, as can the parent, before a notice period is required. You could do a longer settling in period perhaps?. Its really up to you. A balance between what suits you and what wont scare the parent off! 2 mornings is better than nothing

When would the lo start? If she is 10 months now, it wont be long until your under one space is free again anyway...?

In terms of charges, you could charge per session as the baby is taking up 2 mornings... or maybe set a minimum of 4 or 5 hours for a day.

Hope you sort something out that suits

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DAWN44 View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

I am just disappointed, I had an enquiry the other day which is 2 mornings 10 til 1 ( only 6 hours a week) for a 10 month old.

When i told a couple of local minders they laughed and said they wouldnt bother.

The problem is I know its not great, but at least its something. I will tell her if i get full time under a year enquiry, i would have to let her go.

would you do this. The other minders have been doing it years and always have kids, I just think I may as well do it for now.

That's supportive of them

I would take mindee on. It's a starting point

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies.

hon if something like this comes up I'd always speak to the parent. Tell them you can do it but you need a min. session of 5 hours (whatever suits you). They may be prepared to pay it. Start at 5 if she sounds wary, maybe suggest 4 but it will be at a higher hourly rate Other minders might not consider it if they are full but that doesn't mean it won't suit you. If you have young children you migth actually appreciate an earlier finish anyway

How many spaces do you have = just the one? If you have another space you won't even need to give her notice if a full timer comes along.

Meantime, speak to local children's centre manager. tell her you are struggling and ask if she'll pass your number on to any mums attending the cc sessions with her/him.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 older children, youngest is 9 years.

I have maximum spaces, I was just concerned that if I do a proper contract with this one and then a couple of days later I get enquiry for full time under 1. I would have to work 4 weeks notice. which might put someone off.

All my vacancies are free at moment. But looking at above advice I could do 4 week settling in session. Then the child would be 11 months.

I wouldnt have any worries if child was over a year.

I probably am worrying about nothing because, may not even get any enquiries for that age group.

Also I made a mistake, because I have already told lady my charges . I said £5 an hour , ( going rate is 4) . So she already knows it is £15 per morning.

I am probably naive at moment. Just maybe too eager to please because desparate for work.
    x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 older children, youngest is 9 years.

I have maximum spaces, I was just concerned that if I do a proper contract with this one and then a couple of days later I get enquiry for full time under 1. I would have to work 4 weeks notice. which might put someone off.

All my vacancies are free at moment. But looking at above advice I could do 4 week settling in session. Then the child would be 11 months.

I wouldnt have any worries if child was over a year.

I probably am worrying about nothing because, may not even get any enquiries for that age group.

Also I made a mistake, because I have already told lady my charges . I said £5 an hour , ( going rate is 4) . So she already knows it is £15 per morning.

I am probably naive at moment. Just maybe too eager to please because desparate for work.
    x
    if all your children are over 8 hon then you have 3 spaces so take this one on. Give her min. hours contract. If 2 more enquiries for full time come along you can take them on too. As flora said, this baby if you take it on will be a year in just 2 months. Worst case scenario a new enquiry comes along a week later but that is unlikely if it's quiet. Tell any new enquiry parents that you can offer 3 days now or they can wait x number of weeks (whenever he is one). IF they really couldn't wait then yes I might consider giving notice to the first mum but I think I'd investigage a variation with ofsted first. Take the work hon if you need the money.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

x

doesn't matter hon. It is £5/hour just you forgot to tell her there was a min. session fee of 5 hours

dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help.

I feel much better now . I will let mum come Monday and we will discuss it then.

I really appreciate your advice.

Dawn x

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2 mindees i have are part timers.
    1 is mon-wed 9-4
    1 is mon 1.30-4.30 and fri 1.30-6

I get thursdays off to catch up on the housework and paper work (yeah right )

Its a bit of a pain getting everything out on a friday though as its just 3 hours in the afternoon. But the money is all good.

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have 2 after schoolees and have been active since september. I've now started selling aloe vera products for Forever as a bit of extra income and because i do actually believe in the products. Hang in there i'm sure it will happen for us all. xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by florabird View Post
    HI ,
    Yes definitely do it - all mine are part timers and by the sound of the other childminders' approach you could find you've tapped into a niche in your local market
    one benefit of having part timers is that as you fill up, you may be able to juggle some free time out of your week. I have 9 children on my books and work 7.30 to 5.30 monday tuesday and thursday. Just 7.30 till 9 and 3 til 5.30 on Weds and only 7.30 till 9 on Friday morning!

I love this way of doing things - no idea how anyone copes with fulltime hours plus paperwork, plus life!

Once you have extra little ones to take to groups etc, and people notice how good you are with them, you'll stand more chance of getting enquiries. there's no need to put the parent off by saying you'll have to give notice now. If you need to in the future, deal with that then...

Try and see it as a positive

bws,
    Wendy
    I have 4 part-timers on my books and work 5 days a week now, even though one day is only 4 hours. They are spread out and some of the kids never meet each other. But it suits me as I have time to do things with my own kids and then can then have their friends over in the afternoons
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! (omg I sound like my mother )

I have my dd taking an under 5 place, My nephew (on family rates)
    taking 4 days and have just started a mindee 2 full days.

After taking the 2 days I have had enquiries for full time mon - fri from 3 parents and had to turn them away because I haven't got the space.

I did think, have I made a mistake but just because I had the enquiries doesn't mean they would have signed the contract and the mindee I have is near my dd's age and she loves him being here, where as the full time enquiries were babies so I feel that it may not be as much money but she is happier.

I would take the part timer as it will get you out and about and people will see how good you are with him/her and word of mouth may get you some more work.
    Don't sit and wait for the perfect contract because it may never come.
    Wishing you good luck

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

All my mindees are part-timers too, all doing 2 or 3 days a week.

As for advertsising, are there any nurseries local to you?? It's worth leaving your phone number with them, as sometimes they have enquiries they can't help with, and the parent might not have thought of a childminder. I have got 2 mindees this way!!!!!
    Marnie x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast