Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face inspection over with i'm gutted!

i got Satisfactory!!!!!!!!!!!
    she came at 10 left at 1 and bombarded me with questions the whole time even though i had 1 3yr old, 10 mth old and my 23 mth old son to look after!!!!!!!!!!
    first thing she picked mre up on was that i didn't wear gloves to change my sons nappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the next was my child protection leflet from lsgc board was out of date didn't know it had been up dated so how do i know to get a new one?
    the other thing was i need more resourses for disability and diversity - thought this may come up so was expecting it.
    there were other things that didn't bother me as i am on courses to cover them within the next 6 months.

Do any of you wear gloves to change your own children's nappies i do with my mindees but would never do for my own child?

I think the whole inspection format should be changed i think you should get 2 visits one for observation only when you have mindees and another for question when you don't have any mindees so you can think without distraction!!!!!!1
    Rachel

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: inspection over with i'm gutted!

Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience... you must feel very low just now...

No I didn't wear gloves to change my children's nappies - I would have been offended if anyone had suggested I should! I followed safe hygiene procedures at all times and that was enough!

As for having an out-of-date leaflet... I think a few people will be looking at theirs just now and wondering how on earth they find out what date it's supposed to be!

Remember though that you are satisfactory... and that is an achievement!

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

For goodness sake. I personally think these 'awards' i.e Outstanding, Good etc.. are a complete waste of time. Every person is unique and with that the minding setting is also unique. I understand that Ofsted inspectors have to show that they are also competent and doing their job but I think the way inspections are awarded is just wrong. The words in themselves are far too oblique to give a real indication of how the setting functions.

As for wearing gloves to change your own child!!???!!!! When was that suddenly an issue? I was told to wear gloves for the mindee's but for my own child...you have to be joking!!

Personally I would phone ofsted and complain about this. That's just madness.

mar 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

I got Satisfactory a couple of weeks ago: don't worry, i have come to the conclusion it's a load of b.....

I just got my inspection report back this morning, she mentioned at the time that i did not have a drain cover and I couldn't find my driving license. I was not prepared to leave 2 kids downstairs and go and look for it. she saw all the relevant insurance etc for the car which is with one recommended by NCMA!! However on the inspection report it says"improve all relevant car documentation is readily available and to share the progress reports(observations) with parents. I have only wrote 5 obs as i have only had the kids for 5 weeks!!

No i don't use gloves to change nappys either, never have done in the 20 so years i have been looking after children.

Thing is you have to wait 3 years to redeem yourself!! How unfair is that.

So really don't worry. You know you are good at what you do and at the end of the day if the parents are happy with the way you care for the kids, that's all that matters!!

Loopy Lou

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad my os didnt need his nappy changing while inspector was here. He would have freaked if I had used gloves. Mind you my inspector was really good about leaving me to get on with the children and even sat on the floor with her laptop with us which was great because she was really involved with the children.
    Annie x

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I too was picked up by ss years ago when my daughter was in nappies, and was totally offended by this, and told them so! Why should we use them our children

I have just been on the child protection course and they gave out the new booklet, but if i had'nt attended that, i would'nt have one!

Dont be too upset with a satisfactory, you have to work hard to get that grading too!

As i have said before, if you asked any of my parents what grading i have, i bet none of them know!

Chin up and smile, you have done well
    Donna

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

(So really don't worry. You know you are good at what you do and at the end of the day if the parents are happy with the way you care for the kids, that's all that matters!!)

I agree with Loopy Lou, well done at getting through your inspection.

Now you relax for the next three years
    Cherry x

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be too hard on yourself- I know its easier said than done.
    What you shouuld think about is the enjoyment you give them kids, and how safe and confident they are because of the many things you do. The parents must feel you are doing a great job- they trust you with their most precious things .
    I have yet to go through my inspection, I know we need them, and the reasons etc but with all the worry etc they can take some of the fun out of our job and steer us away from the most important things- letting kids be just that- kids!

Keep your chin up- and well done for getting through it!

june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks girls
    Can't let it upset me too much i'm 6 mnths pregnant so don't want toupset little man in my tummy do i lol.
    What got me bout the child protection leaflet is i'm on a child protection couse on 13th may which she knew bout cas i'd put a list of the courses i'm on in my certificate folder!
    my parents all think i'm great which is what matters
    i'll have to have another inspection when baby comes in july anyway she said so i'll just hope i don't get her.
    Eddie would of run a mile if i'd put gloves on to change his bottom she also said i should of lay him down i'd like to see her lie my son down to change his nappy its easier to do it standing up he's nearly 2 for god's sake!!!!!!!!!
    Rachel x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Chin up hun, she was obviously having a bad day! Never used gloves with my own either!
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you had a tough time with your inspection

You did really well though and that is the most important thing here

I think its up to you if you want to wear gloves or not with your own child - whatever next ?

Good luck with your pregnancy and hope everything goes ok there - concentrate on that now and dont stress about this

I have a few things on disability and diversity colouring pics if you want to message me your email addy I will send them to you so at least you have some things ready for your next one in July

Take care and dont worry about it

Angel xx

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I know where they are coming from with the gloves for own children while minding its to prevent cross contamination if you own child is harbouring somthing (illness) and incase you don't wash your hands properly before preparing meals for the other children and for that reason they will see it as important as in a nursery and school there are usually (?) designated food prep staff and they all should wear gloves no matter whose children they are changing. - I'd say for the sake of it if you are due an inspection I would get my child used to gloves by making a game of it and then just use them for the inspection then the choice is yours whether you decide to continue to use them after that.

I'm on the fence with this one and don't want anyone to jump down my neck I'm only presenting it from their point of view
    Celest

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Celine of course I can understand that reason with the nappies

I dont think its just about that though - time and time again we hear of inspectors doing things different - it is sooooo unfair

Seems like they should write out a rule book though so we all do the same and so we know where we stand

It would be even better if it were to be printed in nice simple English so we ALL understood it ha

Angel xx

june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: inspection over with i'm gutted!

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Yes Celine of course I can understand that reason with the nappies

I dont think its just about that though - time and time again we hear of inspectors doing things different - it is sooooo unfair

Seems like they should write out a rule book though so we all do the same and so we know where we stand

It would be even better if it were to be printed in nice simple English so we ALL understood it ha

Angel xx
    i completely agree no one inspecter is the same if we had some proper guidlines they wouldn't have free range on how they inspect either!

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edsmum View Post
    Thanks girls
    she also said i should of lay him down i'd like to see her lie my son down to change his nappy its easier to do it standing up he's nearly 2 for god's sake!!!!!!!!!
    Rachel x
    So they now have the 'right' to tell you how to look after your own child? This is so ridiculous it's laughable. If anyone told me , Ofsted or otherwise, how I should be looking after my own, I would tell them in no uncertain terms to mind their own *ahem* beeswax!

june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
    So they now have the 'right' to tell you how to look after your own child? This is so ridiculous it's laughable. If anyone told me , Ofsted or otherwise, how I should be looking after my own, I would tell them in no uncertain terms to mind their own *ahem* beeswax!
    I did lottie don't worry.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

HERE HERE ANGEL AND I KNOW THEY ARE POWER CRAZY (WELL SOME OF THEM ARE AT LEAST) IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THEY TOLD THE RIGHT HAND WHAT THE LEFT HAND WAS DOING.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Celest

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as your parents are happy with the care given to their kids, that's really all that matters at the end of the day isn't it. You know you're providing a good service. Well done and hope all goes well with the new baby.

P.S. What child protection leaflet are we supposed to have? I haven't done the course yet and wont have the leaflet for my inspection next week either.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hay - satisfactory shows that you are meeting the standards that are required, don't put yourself down!
    Katickles

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

oh please don't let it get you down
    i am sure you are a wonderful childminder

good luck with the new baby when it comes

take care

cathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast