Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy how much money if any have you lost due to the snow

im really annoyed i was in for a really bumper week in takings but with cancellations ive lost almost £250 aswell as £150 last week
    its in my cantract to pay half fee , but some of those were only casual agreements for this week as extras so are not in my contracted hours , i asked one parent for half fee and she said get stuffed basically as she couldnt help the snow . fair enough but its not my fault either .
    im lucky enough to probably manage the bills but there will be no january sales treats for my self this year which angers me as after feeling undervalued by my parents i was looking forward to treating myself , huh should have guessed as im never that lucky

update one of my parents has restored my faith bless them , i invited them round to collect their daughters xmas present and birthday present as it happens to be her birthday today but she been off due to a high temp aswel as the snow issues , they came and went after recieving the prezzie then came back and offered to pay me saying they insisted on paying up plus another parent offered to pay her half fee that was due so things arnt as bad as first thought
    Last edited by mufftie; 22-12-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how much money if any have you lost due to the snow

None because I am open. Its not my problem if the parents can't get to me. If they can't or choose not to, it is full fee.

My parents usually walk if they can't get their car up the hill.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have casual extras too and the same as you, the rest still have to pay as they are full contracts.
    Paula

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily I've not lost out at all. My mindees were able to get to me, and as they all pay in advance the money is safely in my bank account. I just hope I don't have problems in January when the schools go back, as if there is no heating on in school for 2 weeks there could be problems with pipes freezing etc, and so the school will close

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nothing as I have been open.

And as for my casual contract well I never count on that money till its in my hand
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I ever have casual extras I give them a booking form & an invoice, which says that fees need to be paid to book a place and are non-refundable. If fees are not paid, no place will be available. If fees are paid, but parents then cancel, I don't give a refund.
    I find it works well & stops parents saying they want you & then changing their mind at the last minute.

I'm lucky that I haven't lost any money due to the snow. I've opened everyday & parents have all managed to get to me. If they didn't get here they would still have to pay as I am open as usual.

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think im going to have to start charging monthly as then its my call when i invoice them how much i charge for non attendance i give my parents an option when they start on how to pay and getting half fee out of the weekly payers is a night mare
    or even better get them to pay in advance but i think it may put some parents off

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mufftie View Post
    i think im going to have to start charging monthly as then its my call when i invoice them how much i charge for non attendance i give my parents an option when they start on how to pay and getting half fee out of the weekly payers is a night mare
    or even better get them to pay in advance but i think it may put some parents off
    All my parents pay monthly & it's never put anyone off. They can pay weekly or monthly, but always in advance. I just don't give the option of paying in arrears, so they don't question it.

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

think i need to become a lot firmer in the new year as its not just pocket money im working for anymore

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

think i need to become a lot firmer in the new year as its not just pocket money im working for anymore
    I'm quite firm from the beginning. Over the years I've found it's easier to start off firm & maybe relax things over time than it is to start off soft & try to toughen up when things don't go well

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been quite firm from the beginning too. I work exactly as a nursey and I cant see a nursery not charging or refunding.

I do the same work as a nursery so charge as a nursery would. Monthly or weekly in advance so theres no arguements.

Becky x

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    None because I am open. Its not my problem if the parents can't get to me. If they can't or choose not to, it is full fee.

Same here

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

im not loosing anything as none of my parents drive, in fact im gaining extra as i have a LO for a few hours tomorrow as he was visiting great grandma but she wont be able to pick him up etc so im having him instead at holiday rate

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My contracts state that occassional days off for whatever reason are charged at full price and so I haven't lost anything strictly speaking - however, for the 4 days that I didn't have some children because the snow was awful here I decided to charge half fees as a gesture of goodwill.

All my customers have been lovely and really appreciated what I have done. and I have a few brownie pioints in the bag in case I need to turn the tables in the future to suit my requirements.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

same here, although my parents will make it here in a earthquake as they have paid me I have 2 full timers

I only have term time only school runs so haven't been affected by them either, although if the school closes I do not take them all day, but still charge before and after as I am avaible then (that was a hard one for parents to get round, but I don't want them all day )

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing lost here. I am open, and most can get to me anyway & work from home.

I too charge in advance (been stung badly before), so once fees are paid, they are paid. (Obviously unless I can't open!)

xx

jumpinjen Guest

im really annoyed i was in for a really bumper week in takings but with cancellations ive lost almost £250 aswell as £150 last week
    its in my cantract to pay half fee , but some of those were only casual agreements for this week as extras so are not in my contracted hours , i asked one parent for half fee and she said get stuffed basically as she couldnt help the snow . fair enough but its not my fault either .
    im lucky enough to probably manage the bills but there will be no january sales treats for my self this year which angers me as after feeling undervalued by my parents i was looking forward to treating myself , huh should have guessed as im never that lucky
    really sorry to hear this.... perhaps next time the mum who told you to get stuffed needs a favour you might have no vacancies??!!

I suggest you design a booking form and parents sign to say that booked hours will be paid for regardless of whether they bring child or not.... if you are open then they stick to your fee structure as per contract.

A strongly worded letter to all concerned regarding the fact that you were open and have been messed around to go with it and you are considering only sticking to contracted hours in the future due to the inconsideration for your business might make them think.

outrageous behaviour.

hugs, Jen x

jumpinjen Guest

oh and DEFINATELY start charging in advance 'to put yourself in line with all other childcare businesses'

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks , i will write a letter up as its just not on
    i think if its on an official letter for all to read it dosnt seem like im aiming it at any one in particular
    and as for the lady who said she refused to pay im definately not going to be as accomodating next time . it wouldnt be so bad but i know that she gets most of the fees paid for by tax credits

lessons definately learnt here i think

July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here . . . plus I also get paid a month in advance straight into my bank account!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast