Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aaagghh...can't decide.

The Children's Centre creche leader is pregnant and I've been given first refusal of her job. This arose from a discussion between her and the manager about me based on the fact that all my LOs are leaving at some stage next year, one in March (maternity leave) and 3 in August (school). However, she's due to have the baby in February. And both she and the pregnant Mum of the LO I mind want me to look after their babies. Plus I think I've just signed up a new LO 3 days a week, a 16 month old.

However, I wanted to move into Children's Centres ideally when I finish Childminding and this would be great for me. The manager said I could choose to do just a day or two a week if I want to. It's a fantastic opportunity. And there's always the chance that the Creche leader may decide not to come back after her maternity leave and then I could potentially get the job full time.....

If I take it I'd have to let down some of the parents some of the days. The pregnant Mum would fit around this, the others maybe would - one is meant to be doing one more day at preschool after Christmas anyway so I can push them to make it a day that suits me. And the Mum of the child who comes 4 days a week is currently jobless so I'm going to talk things through with ehr tonight when she picks up.

Hmmm... I seem to be talking myself into this. Plus, as I think I'm going to try to work to make better relations between Centres and Childminders if I achieve EYPS then I guess that working in both situations can only help....

But what if I'm really really pants at working with other people?!

My head hurts
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Aaagghh...can't decide.

REphrase that Venus

What if you are GREAT at working with other poeple?

Which I bet you will be. You already work with other people - the parents of chhildren you care for, people at the children centre, people you meet at schools/toddler etc etc. You come across on here as a rational sane person (you stand out from the madding crowd lol

It sounds like the opportunity of this job is a huge one and personally I think you would be daft to turn it down. If it doesn't work out then you can always come back to minding. If it does work out - they you go from strength to strength

My advice - go for it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a fab opportunity, but I'd be concerned about what's going to happen to the Children's Centre & all their staff after March.
    I don't know if it's the same in your area, but I know the staff here are all waitinig to see if their contracts will be renewed in March.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It sounds like a fab opportunity, but I'd be concerned about what's going to happen to the Children's Centre & all their staff after March.
    I don't know if it's the same in your area, but I know the staff here are all waitinig to see if their contracts will be renewed in March.
    Same here alot of cc's are waiting to see if they are closing or not.

That aside I think you should go for it if its want you want to do
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That certainly is a consideration, yes, one I need to look into.....
    Aaaagggghhhhh

Rational and sane?! Blimey

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, I don't believe they will just close down successful, busy centres - but I may be wrong. However, you do need to consider that. But if you ultimately want to leave minding then if that happens you would fidn another non-CM job.

I think you would be great at it but weigh up the pro-s and cons (and the money) first.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    hon, I don't believe they will just close down successful, busy centres - but I may be wrong. However, you do need to consider that. But if you ultimately want to leave minding then if that happens you would fidn another non-CM job.

I think you would be great at it but weigh up the pro-s and cons (and the money) first.
    I've sent a message to the Creche leader asking if she knows what the score is with the Children's Centre..... But it would be mad if they close it, they do so much good.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My first thought was the funding issue... my second was that you'd be great at the job!

There would also be big tax implications if you are losing 20% off your childminding income because you have a second employed income which is being taxed - make sure it pays to have 2 jobs, one where there are hardly any deductions!!

If you are still childminding, then you've lost very little if the CC closes because you can just look for another child so that's a plus.

I've just read that back and I'm not sure I've helped

Good luck!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    I've sent a message to the Creche leader asking if she knows what the score is with the Children's Centre..... But it would be mad if they close it, they do so much good.

also hon, you mention the current creche leader wants you to look after her baby. So, if the contract is only maternity cover, what will you do when she returns?

Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

also hon, you mention the current creche leader wants you to look after her baby. So, if the contract is only maternity cover, what will you do when she returns?
    This was going to be my question too. I thought the CCs were going to be safe, shows how much notice i take of the new!

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's the strong possibility she'll only return part time. And I'd only do it part time anyway, I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket, so in theory the days she did I'd be Childminding her baby (and others) and then the other days I might be able to continue with the Creche leader job.....?

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx
    Thank you Angel.
    I think I'm leaning towards asking if I can do 1 or 2 days and make it a job share. It's lousy timing, halfway through EYPS and when I've just started mentoring and when I'm trying so hard to get my CM Group working really well together but I probably won't get another opportunity like this....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Angel.
    I think I'm leaning towards asking if I can do 1 or 2 days and make it a job share. It's lousy timing, halfway through EYPS and when I've just started mentoring and when I'm trying so hard to get my CM Group working really well together but I probably won't get another opportunity like this....
    Then take it

You know its what you want ha ha

Good luck

Angel xx

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Then take it

You know its what you want ha ha

Good luck

Angel xx
    But I'm scared

Post Thanks / Like

But I'm scared
    I know

Take the risk you will be fine

Have more confidence in yourself

Sending you confident hugs ha ha ha

Angel xx

jumpinjen Guest

The Children's Centre creche leader is pregnant and I've been given first refusal of her job. This arose from a discussion between her and the manager about me based on the fact that all my LOs are leaving at some stage next year, one in March (maternity leave) and 3 in August (school). However, she's due to have the baby in February. And both she and the pregnant Mum of the LO I mind want me to look after their babies. Plus I think I've just signed up a new LO 3 days a week, a 16 month old.

However, I wanted to move into Children's Centres ideally when I finish Childminding and this would be great for me. The manager said I could choose to do just a day or two a week if I want to. It's a fantastic opportunity. And there's always the chance that the Creche leader may decide not to come back after her maternity leave and then I could potentially get the job full time.....

If I take it I'd have to let down some of the parents some of the days. The pregnant Mum would fit around this, the others maybe would - one is meant to be doing one more day at preschool after Christmas anyway so I can push them to make it a day that suits me. And the Mum of the child who comes 4 days a week is currently jobless so I'm going to talk things through with ehr tonight when she picks up.

Hmmm... I seem to be talking myself into this. Plus, as I think I'm going to try to work to make better relations between Centres and Childminders if I achieve EYPS then I guess that working in both situations can only help....

But what if I'm really really pants at working with other people?!

My head hurts
    I am on the management board at my local children's centre and the creche posts there are very vulnerable to the budget cuts and often they only give out 6 month or 3 month contracts at a time to be renewed if demand and money is there so be very careful about what they are offering before you give up child minding as you may find yourself jobless a few months down the line without any mindees!! I see that it is tempting but you can't bank your income on someone possibly not returning after mat leave!!

jen x

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be!!! Go for it!!!!! It you are also minding, you can always build that back up if it doesn't work out for some reason!!!! And if you don't give it a try you will always be wondering what if

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

look into it in detail, find out EXACTLY what will be in your contract.

I manage a creche at a CC... but I'm going back to childminding because of all the instability at the CC. Creche sessions were drastically cut, they call us in a very short notice to run sessions that they've suddenly found money for. They've cut the extra time we were in before and after each session so we don't have time for paperwork, cleaning etc. We don't know where we are from one week to the next, and when you need to know what money you're getting so you can budget for the month ahead it's hard to deal with.
    Have a good long chat with the CC manager. I don't want to put you off, your CC may be much better organised, but just be careful.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do x
    Tracey x

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the happy house View Post
    look into it in detail, find out EXACTLY what will be in your contract.

I manage a creche at a CC... but I'm going back to childminding because of all the instability at the CC. Creche sessions were drastically cut, they call us in a very short notice to run sessions that they've suddenly found money for. They've cut the extra time we were in before and after each session so we don't have time for paperwork, cleaning etc. We don't know where we are from one week to the next, and when you need to know what money you're getting so you can budget for the month ahead it's hard to deal with.
    Have a good long chat with the CC manager. I don't want to put you off, your CC may be much better organised, but just be careful.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do x
    Thank you - they're all valid points, and worth thinking over. Luckily ours is much better organised than that! It would be 9-5, when there are no children there's time to organise and clean, outreach work to do and so on. So I guess with regular hours you get the regular pay, which takes the worry away.