Do you all belong to a childminding network .. or not?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you all belong to a childminding network .. or not?

Hi all,

Just wondering if you belong to a childminding network or not...? Has it been good / bad / ugly?

I'm in a process of joining one in my area, but been chasing the network coordinator for my meeting for ages ... so my starting point is already frustrating and don't feel that the support is there since the start!

How can they be supportive if they can't be bothered to even have your initial assessment meeting arranged...

Does it matter much to Ofsted if you are in one? Hmmm.. I'm not sure.
    Need your advice!
    Happy days

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you all belong to a childminding network .. or not?

Hi i have not long joined a network, i have been minding for 2 1/2 years and didnt join before because i heard some stories about it being clicky etc and im not that sort of person.After chatting with the co-ordinator decided to join and see and im glad i did, the support we get is outstanding and defiantly dont have to chase them.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I joined mine not long ago, really for the extra training seesions you have access to and for the free resources they were offering at the time! Recently had ecat training that I couldn't have done if I hadn't joined.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really glad I did. As the others say the extra support and training are brilliant, plus they've now assigned me as an EYFS mentor and are supporting me through EYPS.

There is more work to do as we have to attend x amount of CPD per year but I like that - the training sessions give me more ideas to use in my work. And the coordinator coming round also means more work (she usually leaves me some homework!) but again that benefits my work, which benefits my LOs.

I think probably it would be a plus from Ofsted's point of view, not least because of the regular training.
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im NOT a member.

Ive had a few meeting from the coordinator trying to get to me join. but i dont have time for extra paperwork, extra meeting and extra courses.
    Im in the pub

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi SaijaM,

I am in the same boat as you, have tried to find out about it but no one is in any hurry to get back to me, even when I really needed some help, I cant even get a support childminder. I havnt even spoke to to my coordinator as she was away and was going to get back to me. I have given up now, if I need any help I just come on here. Would be nice to be part of a group though for the extra support.

Hope you get yours sorted out.
    Sam xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I joined my local network - the extra training is great and I have a very supportive CDW - a plus for us here, is we get an annual payment for being on the network!

However, my Ofsted inspector couldn't give 2 hoots about me being on it. I had to ask her 3 times to add in on my report as I have worked hard to reach stage 2 and wanted it on my report!
    Georgina x

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a member and odd though it may sound, I do not know how I would find out about joining one.

I have existed without for the past 15 years so am not likely to make any changes now. I have spoken to others who are in networks in other towns and the impression I unfortunately got was that it was great if your face fitted but otherwise forget it as they were full of cliques. I am sure there are some very successful ones but I cannot understand what benefit they really bring.

My Ofsted inspector was not particularly complementary about them saying that she had sadly come across more bad ones than good............

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted won't be bothered

I have been on a network for 12 years or so but they changed it in our region recently and now you get paid to be on one. Of course you have to do something for it but very little and they gave grants for outside equipment of £300 to each network minder last December too.

The support and guidance I get is second to none and the training is always up to date and what is needed
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Ofsted won't be bothered

I have been on a network for 12 years or so but they changed it in our region recently and now you get paid to be on one. Of course you have to do something for it but very little and they gave grants for outside equipment of £300 to each network minder last December too.

The support and guidance I get is second to none and the training is always up to date and what is needed
    Being in the same town as you, I agree Debbie!!!! The outside grant was fab and the annual payment is a big incentive.
    Georgina x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Joining our network was one of the best things I have ever done. Ours is a Children Come First Community and Early Years Network although I know not all networks are the same. The training and support is second to none and being a member also means I am accredited to deliver Early Years education to 3 years olds and Flying Start funded placements for 2 year olds and their siblings. I don't have much extra paperwork apart from the initial assessment.

My CSSIW inspector was very interested that I was a member and indeed on my inspection report 3 years ago she put joining as a good practice recommendation.

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

im in one, not thats its worth it, anyone can join even if you inadequate and u dont get any thing that a non-member doesnt you just get treated to a very boring and in-iformative meeting once every 3 months
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we have a network co ordinator.....she has been to see me (summer hols)...at my request as i hadnt seen anyone since i registered (january). She didnt mention having to do anything to become a member. No funny handshake, rolled up trouser leg, nowt!

so i dont know if i am a member

not seen her since.......

she did email last month for copies of my paperwork as she really liked it and wanted to share it with other cms

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

im not, but then only recently registered, havent read much about it where i am and not been asked either, not really been bothered about it until reading this
    sounds good

xx
    Jennie x x

Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, sounds really good then! I shall follow / chase up and join as I would really want to access all the training available
    Happy days

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Think it depends on the network

I have just joined, it did take a while to get the woman to come back to me but she was really suppportive before my inspection, even though I wasn't on the network at that point!

So far, I've not been able to make any meetings though the last one apparently got quite heated

She is taking on board the fact that lots of us have requested certain types of training and is trying to sort it out for us

I've not come accross it but others have found it really cliquey and there are at least 2 sets who "hang out" Usually the "old school" types who are dead against change of any sort

HX

Penny1959 Guest

As an ex childminding network coordinator - I agree it depends on the network you are in and your local authortities support.

I used to run an NCMA Children Come First one and I was managed by NCMA - which was great - assessment to join the network was in depth and the support that I used to be able to offer was fantastic - with the network childminders giving lots of positive feedback - but then the local authority took the network 'in house' and due to finacial restraints, support and services have been gradually removed.

The idea of giving grants to or paying network childminders is new to me - how does that work and how do you ensure people are not just joining for the money - ie is there a assessment process?

Now that I have re registered as a childminder - I am not sure if the network now provided by my local authority is worth joining - the only benefit appears to be - the opportunity to offer NEF places.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't even know where to find out about ours,

i've had no help/support/guidance from our local early years team since my pre reg
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    The idea of giving grants to or paying network childminders is new to me - how does that work and how do you ensure people are not just joining for the money - ie is there a assessment process?
    We do have an assessment process - a workbook to complete for each stage. These are very self reflective and helped me enormously when doing the sef!
    You have to get at least a 'Good' with Ofsted to go beyond stage one, have or be working towards a level 3 qualification, as well as offer certain services, for example, working before 7.30am, working between xmas and new year etc.
    There are lots of these extra services listed and you have to meet at least 3 (If I remember correctly!)

You also have an annual planned visit from the CDW (and a potential spot check visit) to check you are working to their standards - I've just had my visit. These visits usually co-incide with the payment renewal!
    Last edited by georgie456; 16-10-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Georgina x

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ive just been reading up on this network and we have to have a relevent level 3 qualification and a grade of good or oustanding

im not yet been graded and onlu have the ICP

xxx
    Jennie x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast