Anyone know of a book whic covers not coming first?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone know of a book whic covers not coming first?

Sorry wasn't sure how to title this thread.
    Basically my son has ASD and as a result he's obsessed with coming first (down to predictability and perfectionism). He's constantly on about winning, coming first, "beating you" (even when he's eating dinner with his little sister) and is finding it hard to accept that he won't be first all the time. As such he gets distressed and very upset.
    I wondered if there was a book out there which perhaps deal with children not coming first, enforcing the idea of trying your best rather than where you "finish". Both my husband and myself try and talk to our son (he's just turned 5) but it's having little impact. I wondered if there was a picture book available to cover this? I've tried looking on the internet but quite frankly can't see the wood for the trees

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone know of a book whic covers not coming first?

I'd make one with him as the starring role!

Like a social story (does he use them in school?) which shows him trying his best in different situations and you and your husband praising him for trying hard.

So a photo of him on his bike and you praising him for good pedalling... a photo of him eating tea and you praising him for eating nicely... a photo of him playing football and you praising his dribbling skills...

Read it lots and lots as his very own story and let him take ownership.

Hopefully he will eventually suggest scenarios to add to it and you'll know you are winning.

xx

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I'd make one with him as the starring role!

Like a social story (does he use them in school?) which shows him trying his best in different situations and you and your husband praising him for trying hard.

So a photo of him on his bike and you praising him for good pedalling... a photo of him eating tea and you praising him for eating nicely... a photo of him playing football and you praising his dribbling skills...

Read it lots and lots as his very own story and let him take ownership.

Hopefully he will eventually suggest scenarios to add to it and you'll know you are winning.

xx
    He doesn't use social stories in school - TBH his autism traits are more subtle but at home and in certain situations this is a BIG issue.
    My H has just bought a shiny new digital camera so might get him to do what you suggest - although not too keen on myself having a starring role LOL.

But if anyone knows a suitable book too then that's great aswell - gives me lots of ammo IYKWIM

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Sandpi.../dp/0395720222

This is a really good book which I have had from our library on many occasions.

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks for that

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pinklady, will look into that one too