Snacks and lunch
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Snacks and lunch

What sorts of things do you offer for snacks and for lunch - I do a cold menu for lunch but am running out of ideas now for both!

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snacks and lunch

I have hot or cold but cold is mostly sandwiches/wraps/rolls/sausage rolls/chesestrings/babybel/raisons/fruit/yoghurt/crisps
    Debbie

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tuna Pasta
    Spag Bol
    Jacket potato cheese and beans
    cheese and ham toasties
    sandwiches
    lasagne
    hot pot
    homemade pie/pasties
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning snack is normally fruit. I only do something light as there's not long between that & lunch time. If it's cold, we'll have toast.

Lunch is usually provided by parents, but if I make it, it's something quick & easy - sandwiches, wraps, cucumber, carrot sticks, raisins, cheese cubes, cheese on toast, beans on toast.
    Usually followed by fromage frais, yoghurt or banana & custard.

Afternoon snack is a bit more substantial as I don't do an evening meal so has to last the children through till they get home. I'll do crackers, cheese & cucumber or raisins, crumpets, toast, breadsticks & dip etc

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For snacks I do fruit, cereal bars, breadsticks, rice cakes (usually one or two items)
    Lunch, sandwiches/wraps/crumpet/pittas/ These have a variety of fillings usually tuna, cheese, ham, chicken/savoury scones (had ham and courgette today)cheese+crackers
    with toms/carrots/cue/celery sticks and fruit. They usually have a bread item with a couple of veg sticks and a selection of fruit. I cut up a few different pieces of fruit and share them. If they haven't had a dairy item they will also have cheese ie babybel or a yogurt.
    Each day varies but I tend to do the same type of thing everyday. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much the same as everyone else (only do 'cold' lunch)

sandwich, toast, raisin bread, malt loaf, raisins, crackerbread with dairylea, jacobs crackers, hot cross buns, small rolls with various fillings, breadsticks, cucmber, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, yogurt, jelly, crumpet, muffin, cheese, crisps, rice cake, fruit (anything!), scambled egg (have one who loves it!), sausage rolls, cheese & onion rolls (and lots more....)

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All of a sudden my mindees have become bagel obsessed!
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a hot lunch every day of .....cottage pie/ spag Bol/ chichen-curry n rice/stew/pasta bake etc.

But after reading all this I think I will start doing a cold one.

My mums wouldn't know what hit they if I asked them to bring a pack lunch for their mindee.

For morning snack I always give toast or crumpets n afternoon snack always has fruit with it.

They have breakfast here aswell and when they are leaving to go home they have a apple.

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees all have hot lunch and I only have one child whose parents want the child to have "snacks" and that is always fresh fruit. The "non-snack" children tend to eat larger meals at meal times - this follows their routines at their homes - hence no need for a snack. I tend to only do sandwiches etc. if we are out for the full day.

The hot lunches tend to be conventional meals just resized for the smaller appetite! Today they have all got beef and ale casserole that we had for our family meal yesterday evening - I will just mush it up smaller for the youngest one. Other "popular" foods are fish pie, lasagne, moussaka, any kind of roast dinner, sausage casserole, very mild curries - although the 2 year old would cheerfully tackle a full-on rogan josh!! The pudding will normally be fresh fruit or cheese followed by some home-made cake or cookies.

The timetable tends to be breakfast at about 8.15 and lunch about 1.00 followed by sleeps for all (especially if there was too much ale in the casserole!!!). For the late pickups, they will have yoghurt/fruit about 4.30. All my mindees are pre-school which maybe explains why I have a different routine to many.