child specific variation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    moogster1a Guest

Default child specific variation

Just wondering if anyone's ever been granted a variation for 4 under 5's which isn't child specific. ie. they just amend your certificate to show 4 under 5's so it applies to any child.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: child specific variation

I think it only applies that way if you work with an assistant or co-minder, not heard of it for a minder working alone.

but I could be wrong, will be interested to hear if anyone has.
    Pauline x

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had a variation stating I can look after 9 under 8's. For ages I'd been asking cos I'd been turning down loads of children over school holidays. Ofsted kept asking for specific ages and numbers and I kept replying I didnt have any specific, I just wanted to look after more. Then I got a phone call from a really nice man from ofsted (It really seems to depend on who you speak to and what mood they're in) . Within minutes he gave me a variation for exactly the amount I wanted and I received my new certificate 2 days later. So good luck.
    Julie X X

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would love a variation to have have 4 under 5's, i dont pick any children up from school or have older kids in the hols, i just have LO's. being able to have 4 now and again instead of 3 would be very handy for when parents have appointments or need extra days etc.

would be interested if anyone has this variation.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    I've just had a variation stating I can look after 9 under 8's. For ages I'd been asking cos I'd been turning down loads of children over school holidays. Ofsted kept asking for specific ages and numbers and I kept replying I didnt have any specific, I just wanted to look after more. Then I got a phone call from a really nice man from ofsted (It really seems to depend on who you speak to and what mood they're in) . Within minutes he gave me a variation for exactly the amount I wanted and I received my new certificate 2 days later. So good luck.
    Hi Julie, did they make it clear on your certificate how many of the 9 could be under 5?

or was it for 5 - 8 year olds?

Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    Are you working with an assistant?

If not then I don't think you are allowed to have more than 6 under 8 at any one time - the regulations are quite specific (page 51, 14).

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm amazed that you were given 9 under 8 i wanted 7 under 8 for about 1/2hr and depsite talking to lots of ofsted bods, and them all saying they understood etc, but they couldn't change the rules for more than 6 under 8's unless i had an assistant working with me ... i got my assistant and was allowed 12under 8's when she is working with me !!! generally 6 under 5, BUT i have a variation for 4 under 5, so it could be 7 under 5 when we were both working !

and back to the original question! i have a variation to allow me to have 4 children under 5, all week. (non child specific) i specifially needed it 2 days a week, but asked to have it for the other 2 days i work, as sometimes children need to swap a day, and once they had ALL under 5's dob, and usual hours (as on the variation request form) they were happy to grant my variation. my certificate states ' may exceed this ratio to care for children in the early years group as listed on the variation request dated 3rd feb 2010 '

but i still have to keep within my 6 under 8!

xxx
    Last edited by loocyloo; 30-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moogster1a View Post
    Just wondering if anyone's ever been granted a variation for 4 under 5's which isn't child specific. ie. they just amend your certificate to show 4 under 5's so it applies to any child.
    I just applied for one - for 4 under 5's! will let you know how it goes. I have 2 vacancies both on Friday but getting loads of calls for rest of week so I've pleaded 'meeting local childcare sufficiency targets' . Parents need a minder, I have vacancies, but I can't meet local childcare demand due to the days my vacancies are on. I will see what happens

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 9 under 8's on my certificate but can only have 6 under 5's when working with an assistant

My understanding is that variations cannot be for new children but conitnuity of care but who knows.

Apply and see what they say - what have you got to lose?
    Debbie

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE BEEN GRANTED 4 UNDER 5'S OOPS CAPS for the children i have on my register for 25 days per year, this was asked for to cover extra days such as parents training, etc as the all do part time but between them im full so this was ideal and counted as continuity, she did ask me to check with parents how many days training they would poss need first!