Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of gloves and how likely is a variation

Hi everyone,

I have in my policies and procedures that I will wear gloves for dirty nappy changes. What kind of gloves should i use, I know non latex but i have a box of powdered ones, I assume I can't use those?

Also I have signed contracts for a child under 1 and have an enquiry for another under 1 who had a cm but they now cannot care for the child. How likely is it I would get a variation to care for 2 under 1 year? I currently don't have any other mindees and would not take on any more if I got the variation. It would be for 3 days a week.

Thanks x x
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What kind of gloves and how likely is a variation

You can use any kind of gloves if that's what you've put in your policy.

Personally, I would never use gloves as I feel they are not necessary and also a threat to the environment - that's just me though - I've changed so many nappies in the past (including my own three) and it would also take a lot of extra time.

As for the variation - I'm sure this will be ok. I've looked after two under 1's and had to write to Ofsted. They sent me a form asking for times, days, childrens names and dobs and if I had the necessary equipment i.e. double buggy. They were very quick and a man from Ofsted actually phoned one day to say it would be ok and they would send me an amended certificate.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you I only use them for dirty nappies. I use non-latex and non-powdered but that is my own personal choice as I don't like the powdered ones.
    When I first started out I said I wouldn't use gloves, couldn't see the point of them but a couple of my young mindees have such horrible nappies I just have to now. It makes me feel better I have the nappy sacks and put the gloves in the bags so they are ready to use. I actually only use 1 glove, on the wiping hand

xxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use gloves for a massive dirty nappy change, otherwise I don't see the point. I always wash my hands after anyway.
    I have just asked Ofsted for a 2 under 1 variation, on the phone the man said it should be fine because it's for a sibling. Not sure about non siblings but good luck , it's worth a try. Phone them first and they should be able to answer your enquiry and e-mail the paperwork.

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd only use a glove if it was a really bad nappy, I have 4 children of my own and have managed without gloves so far. I just wanted to be covered for every eventuality and figured if its in my policies i better buy some before Ofsted come out just in case they ask lol.

I'll see what Ofsted say about the variation if the lady gets back to me. I basically told her I could ask but it wasn't guaranteed and to let me know if she wanted me to apply for one. At least I know my details being on the FIS website is working!

Thanks for all the advice x
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!