Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what's your ideal number?

This is a question for CMs who work alone...

This may seem a really stupid quesiton, but I was just wondering - even if you're registered to have 6 littlies, do you all have your maximum number? Or do you prefer to have less, and just have the max in case you want more in the future? Hope that makes sense??? I'm quite happy with 4 minded children and don't feel I could cope with anymore. Does anyone feel the same, or am I just a wuss? LOL

Hels xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: what's your ideal number?

All my little ones are boys at the moment and I find 2 fine, 3 get a bit giddy... 4 this morning and they were soooo noisy!

After school we have up to 7 for tea including big ones and that's ok as my partner does the cooking.

I totally dedicate myself to playing games

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seven in the morning and 4 or five after school. But I only have 2 under fives during the day, I find this is a lovely number. Both little girls and really well behaved. So I'm considering leaving my other under five space free, at least for a couple of days a week. I always worry about mindees leaving though and my income dropping. 2 sets of my children are largish sibling groups, so any loss would be quite big IYSWIM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i am registered for 4 and feel content with 3 i feel this is ideal for my day and i am able to dedicate time to each chid individully each cm will be dif with what they can cope with and what they feel comfatable
    Im just a littlestar *

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 2. Three at a push but that depends on the children. I ought to add though that all of mine are 3 and under......
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am registered for 4, could up it to 6 as mine are teens but I know I never want more than that anyway so have left it at 4.

Usually have up to 3 but have a space in case my ex mindee needs an odd day on an inset day - like today

Don't do any after schoolies now so always littlies
    Last edited by PixiePetal; 28-06-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off slow as had two of my own. I started with 2, then added 2 more over the first year.

Now, I don't think anything of walkign to school with 8 but that's nothign there's several members on here who regularly have 10 in the holidays

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past year I've had 3 little ones during the day and one reception child before & after school. That's been lovely and suited me really nicely (especially as I only work 4 days a week anyway).

I often do before/after school cover for other minders and can fit it in as I keep my other 2 older slots free. I enjoy it when it's for a short time, but I wouldn't want to d o it all the time.

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite number is 2 under 5s, I don't mind 3 but busy at lunch time etc, I will soon be having 4 under 5s 2 days a week. I only have 1 after scoolie 2 days a week.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually have 2- one mindee and my son, then 3 on Monday and Wednesday. They are all one year olds so its certainly a challenge! I also take a 5 year old to school, and i m dreading having him for full days in the holidays, im am going to be dead on my feet! 3 of my 4 mindees started within a few weeks of eachother so it has been a real shock to the system for me.
    Im not planning on taking on anymore just yet!

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 2 under 5's and 2 after school works in well for me, I do have a couple of p/t under 5's who come on different days but they leave this september and have no plans to replace them just yet.

Straws xx

TheBTeam Guest

when i worked on my own it depended much the same as it does with dh now, in that it depended on the actual children involved, some i could easily cope with three, other combinations of children I found two would drive me mad.

As now the difference between four and six is entirely dependant on the combination of children.

I would prefer to be registered to take on the maximum number, but then maybe decide not to be completely full for any reason.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 LOs most days, don't do before and after school yet, need a bigger car first.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I am registered for 6, but most days I only have 2 under 5 and only 2 days a week an after schoolie. I like 2 as it means we can still go out and about easily. One LO starts school in sept so I will then have her before and after school 2 days a week (one of the days same as current a/s) and I have a baby starting in August so will still have 2 most days.

This is plenty for me (must be getting old ) I used to have 3 every day and 3/4 coming in from school/holidays but just don't feel I could cope with it now (especially in the winter when they are inside more).

Another of my lo's is starting school Sept 2011 and I know mum wants me to have him b/a school 4 days a week, so not looking at filling my schoolies places

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I had none today, just my own 2 ds's and that's my favourite number!!

I don't like just having one as they prefer company, two or 3 under 5's are fine, 4 is do-able but really tiring.
    Ali xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I read this thread the more I realise I am nuts . I work 4 days a week but on each of those days I have 3 under 5's, 3 5-8's and 4 over 8's. I am quieter in the holidays as I have some term time only which suits me just fine.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

~I like to fill the double pushchair but then before/after school I have 3 children of my own so it soon becomes 6 or 7 children with the siblings of the little ones./
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to have 2 little'uns, but can't say no and in the autumn will have 6 lo's (with assistant) and 5 big'uns

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not really got started minding properly but have 2 under 5 of my own and regularly have my neice who is also under 5, so think I'll cope ok when my baby mindee starts in Sept. I think an ideal for me would be filling my under 5 space and maybe 2 after schoolers.

Come Sept I'll have one after schooler everyday and a baby 2 days, have the chance of a 3.5yr old for 4 days if I can juggle it and I'm tempted but a bit worried it might be too much.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hi.. I have 5 lil boys .. 3 under 5yo and 2 who are 5yo...

It's too much.. 4 I think works well.. but it really depends on the kids as well..
    If you have one who is a lot of work it feel like you have 7 .. and my head begins to spin.. can't go to powder me nose, stick a spud in the oven or anything.. I will be down scaling soon..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast