Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this too cheeky?

Hi Ladies,

I need to bend your ears a bit (again) Lol.
    Ok, As most of you know I work with my husband who is registered as my assistant and we've just had a baby who is now 9 weeks old.

We've just taken on a 5 month old baby too and between us we have 5-6 children all aged 2 and under throughout the week.

We've in the middle of putting in a toddlers play deck in our garden which will be great to get outdoors in this lovely weather, but there's some lovely parks and lakes within walking distance in our area that we are no longer able to get to because some of the children are not good walkers/cannot walk. I realise how important it is to take the mindees into the community, so rather than buying 2 triple buggies, we were thinking of buying one of these kiddy buses. They hold 6 children and would be perfect for our needs. However they come with a hefty price tag of £1880 with canopies! We're going to be saving for a long time!

So we were wondering; would it be cheeky to hold a fundraising event for the children we look after? The children could get sponsored by their friends, family, neighbours, etc and all monies raised could go towards the wagon. I know we won't raise enough, but every penny would help.

My only problem is would parents be offended by this? At the end of the day its up to us to provide the facilities for their children. It would be like the're paying for part of it.

What do you all reckon? And my next question; any ideas for a good fundraising event??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is this too cheeky?

Yes definately, why not!!!!! That bus looks absolutely brilliant and they would love that i bet!!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

others may think differently but i personally wouldn't do it - i would be concerned that the parents would think that i had taken too much on without thinking it through - although to be honest if i had 6 full timers i would be able to buy it with a few weeks.

i also think its a bit cheeky to ask kids to fundraise for something that you are making profit on (i.e. them.)
    Blessed Be!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I once sent a sponsor form home for raising funds for our local toddlers. One parent was very enthusiastic and told me he had raised over £60. When he realised it was for the toddlers and not for my garden he wasn't so enthusiatic and infact never sent the money.

So going on this parent can't see a problem rasining funds if their children will benefit, must say I'd never thought of it myself

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

that wagon looks amazing and i dont see why not!!
    why not do a sponsored toddle or sing? a bring and buy in your garden if you know enough people? garage sale? car boot? bake sale?
    good luck
    x
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would find it odd. You are in business to make a profit, if you have 6 full timers I would have thought you should be able to afford to buy buggies?

You have taken on the children so you should already have the correct equipment and resources to use with them. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, Ofsted would expect when they increased your numbers that you have this in place.

I would have thought with this number of under 2s you would have more versitile resources if you bought 2 buggies that can be used as triple or doubles to give the most flexibilty. Have a look on ebay?
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 21-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You know your parents best so go from there i think. Doing a garage sale, bake sale etc etc that above as mentioned is a great idea too, so they can see that you are trying to raise the funds and ust need a little help from them and their children too. Just need to make it as fun as possible!!!

TheBTeam Guest

I personally wouldnt but then I am not good at asking for sponsorship for anything.

I looked at these when dh and I first started but they dont make good for going in a car, so I bought a buggy from NZ which can be a double, triple or quad, and this is enough for us with a couple walking.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, I think that two triple/double combo buggies would be more economical and probably easier to store.

Pipsqueak Guest

I think that is a fab invention - the kiddy bus and i do NOT think it cheeky to do some sponsership fundraising. Other private providers (many of whom often get funding where we don't!!) do fund raising events - schools often do fundraising events, brownies/cubs etc.

Of course you would have to approach other persons such as neighbours perhaps, friends family.
    i think providing you explain it to parents adequately then they have the choice whether to participate or not.

Often the local council holds a list of funders and grant providers who sometimes will approve grants to you.

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies. I think it is something we will have to look into a bit more. I can see what you mean about the pushchairs and perhaps it would be more economical to buy 2 triple pushchairs. However one of the children is really big for her age and is too big and heavy for a pushchair, but is not a good walker. It would take us 3 hours to get to the park which is a 5 minute walk! At the time of us getting a variation, we did not have 2 babies and our circumstances were different. We had all the facilities to accomodate the mindees at that time. However things have since changed and I am trying to do something about it.

We don't have 6 full timers. We have 7 children on our books, all at different times/days. Most go home by 3pm. I wish they were all full time! We have 2 going full time in September and I am hoping to advertise after schoolers soon, if only I could remember the password to edit my website!

Judging by the newsletters and requests for suncream/sunhats I send home, the sponsor forms wouldn't even be looked at by any of the parents anyway. I will have to come up with something fast!

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought how would you fit the babies in?
    Teacake2

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not certain, but don't you have to be have registered charity status to do fundraising events?

I personally hate asking for sponsorship money so couldn't do it. Looks great though
    Ali xx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the triples would be better afterall the seats don't recline and the babies would have to go in a separate double. I personally wouldn't do it.
    Paula

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi could the lo whos to big for buggy use a buggy board when legs are tired and walk when not then you could have 1 dble and 1 triple. you could do a fund raiser day we did to make coaches/outing cheaper for us all last yr opened it for family and friends and also gave 20% to nspcc worked well as we took all the kiddies to a fun play area had a party meal coach and it was free parents were happy. but like others have said if youve been granted variation for all the lo surely you would of had to tell ofsted how youd get around so think you need to be a bit careful.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

have you looked at the ABC new zealand you can get one for four children they are really really good i would recommend this xx personally i wouldn't do a sponsor event for it but maybe e a car boot or eBay make a bit of money towards it
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone on here was selling one of those a couple of months ago
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 children two days a week and on one of those days 3 of the children are non-walkers or just starting walking! I have the obaby triple buggy with a buggy board on the back of it for when the toddler gets tired. Yes, its heavy but of late the toddler has got used to walking and goes longer before jumping on the board

If i had a pound for everytime someone stopped us and say "oh you have your hands full" or "are they triplets... and a toddler!" i would be mega mega rich xx

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt have any objections if it where my child

It looks fab ........and woudl be much easiera than2 triples

Good luck with it

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally would be going for double/triples instead, if you encourage the older ones to walk they will get better at it quite quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast