Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bouncy Castle - what to do

Its half term and I have a LO on Friday. My mum and Auntie are coming down and we dont see them very often. We plan on going for lunch at a local pub (mindie often frequents this pub with Mum) and they have a bouncy castle at times.

Would you allow the child to use the bouncy castle, obviously with a risk assessment and parental permission, or is it something that you wouldnt allow.

Any ideas on a risk assessment for this too.

Thanks xx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bouncy Castle - what to do

I would let mindee on and like you said get parental permission and risk assess it. It should include any safety matting on the floor, other children going on and the number, drinks nearby.
    Paula

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i have booked a bouncy castle for the 2nd september for our "we survived the holidays" fun day

i will get written permission from the parents
    IS BACK

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would risk assess and get parental permission. Also keep an eye at all times and if it seems too crowded or boisterous take them off it.

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

its my ds 10th birtday monday and i have a bouncy castle comming on tues so we can all have fun for his birthday including mindees.. so go for it

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. It may not even be up as seems only to be at weekends but thought it may be different as its half term and its obviously something that I would have to think about before we went, ie risks and permissions.

Again its just common sense with it, but know there has been some bad press more recently re accidents etc on castles.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you're allowed to take your mindee to a place where they serve alcohol?
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    I don't think you're allowed to take your mindee to a place where they serve alcohol?
    really???? that seems a bit harsh! we have some lovely pubs here with some lovely play areas my friend and i were thinking of using in the summer! might have to re-think that one then!
    Little Miss Chatterbox xx

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I'd feel 'right' about taking mindee to a pub, especially if being paid to be working. Can just imagine writing it in the daily dairy! Nothing wrong with a cafe for lunch to meet up with mindees friend's etc or just as a treat, I think it's the word pub I stumble on - gives me images of minders drinking

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have taken them to a wakey barn before, the playarea is seperate from the pub but after 2 hours play we go and sit in the childrens area and have a meal and the children love it, i dont drink whilst i have them but i feel that they should experience every day things, i speak to all my parents before going and they are all aware of where we are going and love it that the children are going out and enjoying themselves. I think it depends on the children you have and where you are going and what time, i wouldnt take a mindee there after 5pm so we tend to do it in the day time, when alot of other families are there and enjoying themselves.

xx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly wont be drinking, rarely do anyway and anywhere else locally would involve the bus as we wont all fit in my aunts car. This is a pub with a seperate restuarant area andl lots of restuarants serve alcohol anyway.

Believe me this child regularly goes to the pub (mum is very young) so it wouldnt be unusual to him and mum is fine with it. Its a one off. I offer a flexible paid as you go hours for this mum and when it was planned didnt know if I would have him or not. My mum can only visit at certain times due to committments.
    Last edited by caz3007; 31-05-2010 at 11:06 AM.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I didn't think you were allowed to lake mindees to the pub either.

My development worker told me we weren't supposed to take mindees into pubs. I'd give Ofsted a quick ring just to double check, just in case...

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry, wasn't implying you would be drinking, just the image it gives me!

No wacky warehouse down this way but it sounds more like a soft play than a pub?

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A CM in the village started up a little get together in the local pub where she charged people £1 per child and they all sat and did colouring and songs etc. Someone reported her (not me) and 2 women came round to talk to her and said she should apply for funding and that they would help her do it.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Bluemoon says, check - it's only what I though, I'm not saying it's true....

BUT personally I wouldn't take mindees to the pub, even with parental permission, even if I wasn't drinking..... Even if it was the nicest pub in the world! To my mind then it's not really somethiong that I'd be doing in the best interests of the child, rather in my own interests...... It may have a good play area but the park almost certainly has a better one. There is alcohol there (although my two 3 year old mindees always serve wine or beer rather than tea when playing at the toy kitchen!). I know you said it seems a bit harsh not taking them to places where there are alcohol but at the end of the day there are good reasons for this - where there are people drinking, there can be people drunk, and all the problems that can go with this. Can't your Mum and Aunt come with you to the park, take a picnic? When you're working the child's needs need to cokme first and if you get there and find there's no bouncy castle, what will you do then....?

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Plan B now but out of interest will see what Ofsted say and will report back. Though will probably go with plan B anyway, actually less stress and hassle all round.
    Last edited by caz3007; 31-05-2010 at 07:41 PM.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tra la la la la.....
    Last edited by venus89; 01-06-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    I'm not being funny, I'm not picking, and these things can sound a bit harsh online with no real inflection but can you really truly see no problem with taking a minded to child to a pub - any pub - to have a meal with your Mum and Aunt? When you're being paid to provide care for the child centred around your needs?
    I actually deleted that post, cos I didnt feel it was right, you managed to post before I deleted it.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I actually deleted that post, cos I didnt feel it was right, you managed to post before I deleted it.
    I'll delete mine then! Will you let us know what the official answer is on whether you can take them to the pub?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have taken mine to a pub garden with a large play area before. I am tee total any way. I have bought them lunch and they play.

We go with a group of CM and stay in the garden never inside.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast